Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Importance of Being a World Cup Winner

  1. #1
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,177

    The Importance of Being a World Cup Winner

    Imran Khan is probably the greatest cricketer that ever lived. Top 5 fast bowler. Possibly top 3. Very decent middle/ lower order batsman. Succeeded all over the world over a long and storied career. Never ever gave up at any given situation. Stood up to the very best and almost always won every head-to-head battle.

    If you think that is not enough to be called the greatest ever, then I hope you at least agree with me that apart from Bradman and Sobers one cannot rank anyone above him casually.

    And when we rank cricketers we usually consider their test careers. (Will anyone ever have the balls to say Bevan was a superior cricketer compared to Border based on their ODI stats?)

    Now... I know how big the 1992 World Cup win was for Pakistan. It was just amazing how they came back from behind - they were on the verge of elimination - to win the tournament.

    But I never bought the "cornered tigers" bull****. I have written before that I am not a fan of Imran's style of captaincy. Autocratic leadership works only when the team members are not focused, not educated and not disciplined. He was the right man at the right time for the right country for the right bunch of people. He would not have been able to get his way with that style of leadership over the 80s WIndies or the 00s Indians. (Could've worked with the 2010's WIndies) But that argument is for another day.

    Botham and Imran were among the four great all rounders of the 80s. As it stands, for posterity, Imran's reputation is that of a great great cricketer. Botham's is that of a once-upon-a-time great cricketer who ended up as a mediocrity.

    My point is this: Had England won the final against Pakistan, would we be remembering Botham with more fondness and respect and Imran's captaincy with less respect (even though his test series wins in England and India and not losing to Windies are big deals)?

    The fact that Pakistan won that one big game.... has that added more to the legend of Imran and eaten away from Botham's share of eternal glory? Those two reverse swinging deliveries from Akram, have they added too much luster to the "cornered tigers" schoolboy crap?

    Earlier in the tournament, Botham bowled a gem to Sachin to get him in the group game. He performed a miracle against Australia (4 wickets and a 50). Had he repeated such a feat in the finals, he might have become the man of the tournament. If that had happened, would we be celebrating him on par with Imran and praising Gooch for the "cornered lions" speech he gave before the finals to his team?

    How important is it to have a World Cup winner's medal to determine a cricketer's overall legacy?

  2. #2
    Cricketer Of The Year hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,972
    Imran's career was basically done by that point and I personally place no credence on that WC win.

    As you mention, the team could have been knocked out and that has very little to do with leadership and a lot to do with how well your team and how well the opposition team plays.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    23,837
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    My point is this: Had England won the final against Pakistan, would we be remembering Botham with more fondness and respect and Imran's captaincy with less respect (even though his test series wins in England and India and not losing to Windies are big deals)?

    The fact that Pakistan won that one big game.... has that added more to the legend of Imran and eaten away from Botham's share of eternal glory? Those two reverse swinging deliveries from Akram, have they added too much luster to the "cornered tigers" schoolboy crap?

    Earlier in the tournament, Botham bowled a gem to Sachin to get him in the group game. He performed a miracle against Australia (4 wickets and a 50). Had he repeated such a feat in the finals, he might have become the man of the tournament. If that had happened, would we be celebrating him on par with Imran and praising Gooch for the "cornered lions" speech he gave before the finals to his team?

    How important is it to have a World Cup winner's medal to determine a cricketer's overall legacy?
    I think it definitely adds to your "greatness" if you have played a pivotal role in helping your side win the world cup but it isn't really the biggest defining moment of your career. Over the course of their careers Botham had fallen by the way side halfway through his career. Winning the 1992 world cup for his side would have perhaps redeemed a little bit of his legacy but not quite as much. After all, as yiu yourself say, that it is test match exploits that are usually remembered in assessing cricketers and Botham falls short in that regard.

    But I think your point is valid from Imran's point of view. Had Pakistan not won the 1992 world cup, his lasting memories in the public's eye would have been a defeated and fallen cricketer who had once reached the pinnacle of his sport but couldn't really sustain it for as long as the public wanted.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  4. #4
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    23,837
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Imran's career was basically done by that point and I personally place no credence on that WC win.

    As you mention, the team could have been knocked out and that has very little to do with leadership and a lot to do with how well your team and how well the opposition team plays.
    Quite difficult to agree with you here especially when all the squad members from the 1992 wc tell you that it was really his leadership that got them through.


  5. #5
    School Boy/Girl Captain longranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    189
    Interesting point you made about Botham and how a few people remember him as ending in mediocrity. It could be argued that Botham's peak was in the early 1980s and he gradually decline over time, including becoming 'beefier' and slowing down his bowling. It could be an aesthetic point, but an older Imran Khan still appeared fitter and more in control of his game than Botham.

    That being said, your real question is how important it is to have a World Cup winner's medal for the overall legacy. I think it's quite important in the modern era. Fans expect Test superiority to carry in to a World Cup which does to a large extent explain why the great Australian test side also won the 1999, 2003 and 2007 World Cups. Steve Waugh, Ricky Ponting, Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne are better for winning the World Cup multiple times.

    Similarly, it's proved to be the defining point for many great cricketers - Tendulkar and the Indian team of Sehwag, Yuvraj etc got international legitimacy as one of the greatest ODI sides for the 2011 win. Heroics of Jayasuriya, De Silva and Ranatunga similarly recognized in 1996. The only argument you can have regarding a great team to have not won a World Cup is South Africa, with great players like Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, Graeme Smith, etc. My only answer to that is a that a truly great team would have the ability to win a high pressure knock-out game and 'deliver'.
    Last edited by longranger; 01-02-2015 at 09:22 PM.

  6. #6
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    57,684
    cornered tigers t-shirt is the greatest thing ever, you all need to shut up asap.
    zorax likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  7. #7
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    129
    It doesn't make or break a legacy. I don't think people are going to think Sree was a great player because he played in a winning world cup team. But it adds legitimacy to their career, It takes away the question marks surrounding that player. it's like the final piece of the puzzle; the cherry on top etc.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,475
    A Kiwi playing down the importance of the '92 WC. Shocking.
    anil1405 likes this.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    9,642
    I don't think even Imran thought that adding a world cup medal would increase his cricketing legacy if he did he would not have retired after 1987 semi final loss.The only reason he played till 92 was because his close aides advised him that in order to get the initial funding going for the cancer hospital he has to do something special for the nation and that special was winning the Cup

  10. #10
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,177
    No xuhaib I am not saying he played on for more glory. I am asking us how do we remember the players of the past and how much of an impact a WC win adds to their legacy

    The following players have mighty reputations despite no WC winner's medals

    Lara
    Kallis
    Dravid
    Hadlee
    Ambrose
    Lillee

    A million Sreesanths and Kaluwitharanas can't match even one of them, I know.

    The question I am asking is:

    If in the 1992 final, had England won the game with Botham scoring a 40 ball 70 with 8 fours and 3 sixes. And gotten the wickets of Miandad, Imran and Inzamam for 10-2-27-3. And taken two catches on top of that....

    It would still be just a one match performance. Imran and Ian Botham combined have played in 500+ matches for their countries. Taken 1000+ wickets. Scored more than fifty 50+ scores. They are capable of such a performance on any given day... But, would that one performance in a WC final have changed their historical standing? Would we have called Beefy the best of the four allrounders if this had happened? How much of my Imran love (or everyone's) is hinging on that WC win?

    A different way of asking the question is this: If SL wins this WC will we be calling Sangakara the greatest modern bat? Considering he is already in the discussion and justifiably so, will such an event make him a clear winner?
    zorax likes this.

  11. #11
    State Vice-Captain Debris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,426
    World cups are a measure of team performance, not individual performance.

  12. #12
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Osaka, Japan
    Posts
    787
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    The question I am asking is:

    If in the 1992 final, had England won the game with Botham scoring a 40 ball 70 with 8 fours and 3 sixes. And gotten the wickets of Miandad, Imran and Inzamam for 10-2-27-3. And taken two catches on top of that....

    It would still be just a one match performance. Imran and Ian Botham combined have played in 500+ matches for their countries. Taken 1000+ wickets. Scored more than fifty 50+ scores. They are capable of such a performance on any given day... But, would that one performance in a WC final have changed their historical standing? Would we have called Beefy the best of the four allrounders if this had happened? How much of my Imran love (or everyone's) is hinging on that WC win?
    I think it depends not only on what value you place on the World Cup but how much you believe that stepping up to win a specific game is a quality needed to be a great player. Personally I feel it is. Although there's an argument that ODIs are a format where everyone has a chance to win on their day, a player who is able to put in clutch performances when it counts (like a final) should be held in high regard.
    zorax likes this.

  13. #13
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,177
    in most all time XIs chosen by experts, akram makes it to the final team ahead of mcgrath or ambrose. if his batting ability makes the difference then hadlee should be considered ahead of him. but that doesnt happen ever. i am assuming akram's exploits in the 1992 final gives him an extra inch to sneak in ahead of mcgrath and ambrose who, in my opinion, are even greater than akram purely as seamers. so i am wondering if spectacular success in WC final does add an extra sheen to a great player's legacy.
    Last edited by bagapath; 02-02-2015 at 01:10 AM.

  14. #14
    International Regular zorax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,803
    I think Wasim sneaks in for his ability to produce unplayable deliveries at any stage of the innings. His legacy is partly because he could bowl jaffas more frequently than any other quick bowler in the history of the game.

    But the WC win is definitely a big part of Imran's legacy IMO.
    smalishah84 likes this.

  15. #15
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    58,166
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Quite difficult to agree with you here especially when all the squad members from the 1992 wc tell you that it was really his leadership that got them through.
    To be fair, without the rain in the England group game they were out - don't see how his leadership helps there?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Worst World Cup winner
    By grecian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 19-11-2013, 01:44 PM
  2. The importance of World Cup wins?
    By James in forum Rugby Union World Cup 2011
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 18-09-2011, 07:56 PM
  3. The 20/20 World Championship - Your winner?
    By Zimdan in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-08-2007, 04:24 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-08-2005, 06:25 AM
  5. U 19 world cup poll predict the winner
    By biased indian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-02-2004, 05:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •