Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Importance of Being a World Cup Winner

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Stepping up your game for the WC is something great cricketers do. However, penalising those who fail in the final is kinda unfair. No matter how good you are, sometimes you just need things to go for you on a given day.

Gilchrist is a true freak though... stepped up and delivered in 3 consecutive finals.
    Gilchrist was a special special player, but I think we can all agree it was a tad easier for him to shine in crucial WC games than it was say an Andy Flower if you catch my drift.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    On the big day, in the big final, coming in to bat as an opener is a massive challenge no matter which team you play for. 1999 I guess wasn't a pressure situation because Pakistan had already been bowled out for piss. 2003 and 2007, though was sheer Gilchrist genius. I don't know how him being part of the Australian team helps him when he's going out to bat opening in the first innings.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Mainly that he didn't have to face McGrath, Lee & Gillespie & co

I do actually agree with you in the main, just saying it does help when the side you play for is arguably the best of any era ever. And to be fair on Gilly, he was a big part of the reason they were so good.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I would rate him above Imran. When it comes to ODIs, performances in World Cup matches really, really, really matter.
    So why is it people under-rate Gilchrist as an opener?

Name these people. This is the most incorrect opinion you have Furball. Bloke is called an ATG ODI batsman by almost everyone. Pretty sure Cricinfo facebook page called him an ATG the other day when comparing his record with Amla's.
    zorax and Fusion like this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Only reason I wouldn't have Gilly in my ODI ATG XI is because I'd want Dhoni in there as keeper/finished instead.

Gilly is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Only reason I wouldn't have Gilly in my ODI ATG XI is because I'd want Dhoni in there as keeper/finished instead.

Gilly is a beast.
    yeah, agreed. Dhoni has to be in any AT ODI XI and there is just no point in having gilly around then.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    in most all time XIs chosen by experts, akram makes it to the final team ahead of mcgrath or ambrose. if his batting ability makes the difference then hadlee should be considered ahead of him. but that doesnt happen ever. i am assuming akram's exploits in the 1992 final gives him an extra inch to sneak in ahead of mcgrath and ambrose who, in my opinion, are even greater than akram purely as seamers. so i am wondering if spectacular success in WC final does add an extra sheen to a great player's legacy.
    It has more to do with left arm variety than '92 wc
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

And btw, whether Imran's captaincy style would've worked for '80s WI or '00s India is immaterial in a discussion about his greatness. He didn't play for either of these 2 teams.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Name these people. This is the most incorrect opinion you have Furball. Bloke is called an ATG ODI batsman by almost everyone. Pretty sure Cricinfo facebook page called him an ATG the other day when comparing his record with Amla's.
    Yeah Furball falling into the CW trap here, one feels. We've all done it (and, in some cases with particularly idiotic people, still do it....)

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    yeah, agreed. Dhoni has to be in any AT ODI XI and there is just no point in having gilly around then.
    I really don't know why you can't have both. Dhoni's good enough to be selected as batsman alone. Gilly gets in as the far better keeper. Dhoni's selection hardly makes Gilchrist pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I really don't know why you can't have both. Dhoni's good enough to be selected as batsman alone. Gilly gets in as the far better keeper. Dhoni's selection hardly makes Gilchrist pointless.
    Sure Gilchrist is a better keeper but then in ODIs Dhoni is pretty decent. It's not like there is daylight between the 2 in terms of ODI keeping. Secondly in place of Gilchrist you can have somebody like Jayasuriya or Mark Waugh who can give you genuine ODI bowling options as well

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Sure Gilchrist is a better keeper but then in ODIs Dhoni is pretty decent. It's not like there is daylight between the 2 in terms of ODI keeping. Secondly in place of Gilchrist you can have somebody like Jayasuriya or Mark Waugh who can give you genuine ODI bowling options as well
    Of course you can. But saying selecting Dhoni means there's no point in selecting Gilly is wrong.

Well, personally for me there isn't any point. He just doesn't add as much value when dhoni is in the side
    zorax likes this.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    when selecting my greatest team from players that I've seen play live, I've included both of them, but that's because I never got to see God play so that left an opening spot available for Gilly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information