• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Importance of Being a World Cup Winner

cnerd123

likes this
I would rate him above Imran. When it comes to ODIs, performances in World Cup matches really, really, really matter.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
With Junaid also out for Misbahstan, they are quickly becoming cornered tigers.

History could be repeating itself. World Cup in Australia, Pakistan massive underdogs, awesome captain everyone should get around.

Misbah = the new Imran.

cnerd123

likes this
Can't wait for Misbah to rock up and take 7 wickets with an economy of 4.16 across the tournament as well.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah **** all the diplomatic BS. World Cups are huge. Massive part of a player's ODI legacy IMO.

If you want to be considered an ODI ATG, perform in World Cups. Even better, win a World Cup. Even better, captain the winning side in the World Cup from an impossible position, and be an incredible source on inspiration and strength to the entire squad and all the fans watching.

Imran Khan WAG. If Botham did all that, he would definitely be more of an ODI ATG than Imran.
Yeah, Yuvraj will never be forgotten because of his tournament winnings performances (although his last one didn't quite work out haha) despite a relatively average ODI record.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah **** all the diplomatic BS. World Cups are huge. Massive part of a player's ODI legacy IMO.

If you want to be considered an ODI ATG, perform in World Cups. Even better, win a World Cup. Even better, captain the winning side in the World Cup from an impossible position, and be an incredible source on inspiration and strength to the entire squad and all the fans watching.

Imran Khan WAG. If Botham did all that, he would definitely be more of an ODI ATG than Imran.
So presumably Steve Waugh bats five in your ATG ODI side?

I think winning a WC certainly adds to your legacy. Certainly a player like Gilchrist, who had pretty average WCs in 1999 and (iirc) 2007 has his reputation enhanced by the fact he made scores of 50 odd or more in three successive WC finals. There's something about stepping up in huge games/ situations which adds to a player's legacy imo

Zinzan

I honestly don't think I'd have a much different opinion or view on either Botham or Imran had that final gone the other way & I don't think being a WC winner is really that big a deal when assessing players.

Imran for me, was overall the best of the 4 all-rounders of the 80s..and in terms of bowling all-rounders, probably only the great Keith Miller could stake a claim of being up there with him.

Botham on the other hand was still for me the greatest 'all-rounder' for a period of time (half his career) we've ever seen, and if he was a more disciplined/stats driven character like say a Richard Hadlee, he could have averaged 40+ with the bat & around 25/26 with the ball.

I know Imran had a few golden periods too, like his bowling in 1982 & batting late in his career, but he never had the impact Botham did in Beefy's younger days.

OverratedSanity

Stepping up your game for the WC is something great cricketers do. However, penalising those who fail in the final is kinda unfair. No matter how good you are, sometimes you just need things to go for you on a given day.

Gilchrist is a true freak though... stepped up and delivered in 3 consecutive finals.

Zinzan

Stepping up your game for the WC is something great cricketers do. However, penalising those who fail in the final is kinda unfair. No matter how good you are, sometimes you just need things to go for you on a given day.

Gilchrist is a true freak though... stepped up and delivered in 3 consecutive finals.
Gilchrist was a special special player, but I think we can all agree it was a tad easier for him to shine in crucial WC games than it was say an Andy Flower if you catch my drift.

OverratedSanity

On the big day, in the big final, coming in to bat as an opener is a massive challenge no matter which team you play for. 1999 I guess wasn't a pressure situation because Pakistan had already been bowled out for piss. 2003 and 2007, though was sheer Gilchrist genius. I don't know how him being part of the Australian team helps him when he's going out to bat opening in the first innings.

Zinzan

Mainly that he didn't have to face McGrath, Lee & Gillespie & co :p

I do actually agree with you in the main, just saying it does help when the side you play for is arguably the best of any era ever. And to be fair on Gilly, he was a big part of the reason they were so good.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Name these people. This is the most incorrect opinion you have Furball. Bloke is called an ATG ODI batsman by almost everyone. Pretty sure Cricinfo facebook page called him an ATG the other day when comparing his record with Amla's.

cnerd123

likes this
Only reason I wouldn't have Gilly in my ODI ATG XI is because I'd want Dhoni in there as keeper/finished instead.

Gilly is a beast.

smash84

The Tiger King
Only reason I wouldn't have Gilly in my ODI ATG XI is because I'd want Dhoni in there as keeper/finished instead.

Gilly is a beast.
yeah, agreed. Dhoni has to be in any AT ODI XI and there is just no point in having gilly around then.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
in most all time XIs chosen by experts, akram makes it to the final team ahead of mcgrath or ambrose. if his batting ability makes the difference then hadlee should be considered ahead of him. but that doesnt happen ever. i am assuming akram's exploits in the 1992 final gives him an extra inch to sneak in ahead of mcgrath and ambrose who, in my opinion, are even greater than akram purely as seamers. so i am wondering if spectacular success in WC final does add an extra sheen to a great player's legacy.
It has more to do with left arm variety than '92 wc

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And btw, whether Imran's captaincy style would've worked for '80s WI or '00s India is immaterial in a discussion about his greatness. He didn't play for either of these 2 teams.

Top_Cat

Name these people. This is the most incorrect opinion you have Furball. Bloke is called an ATG ODI batsman by almost everyone. Pretty sure Cricinfo facebook page called him an ATG the other day when comparing his record with Amla's.
Yeah Furball falling into the CW trap here, one feels. We've all done it (and, in some cases with particularly idiotic people, still do it....)