• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL Draft Feb 16.

cnerd123

likes this
33 year old medium pacer Domnic Joseph Muthuswami has also been picked for an IPL team for the first time, based on his performances this season in domestic cricket. He made his FC debut for Ranji in 2011, and his List A/T20 debuts in 2013, so this is a pretty quick rise to prominence. Delhi Daredevils picked him up for 750,000 rupees.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bopara isn't a terrible buy. His bowling is pretty useful in T20. In ODI cricket it just gets milked but in T20 where the batsman have to go after him and with 5 men on the boundary his variation from ball to ball makes him a decent fifth/sixth bowler. Morgan is much more debeatable imo given his poor form in previous IPL seasons. Hales probably should have been picked up.

Dunno if KP had discussions with the hyderbad owners beforehand given Bopara and Morgan are generally his mates.

Good news for England that Boult and Southee are playing IPL before the test tour to England.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
Is it? Just means that they'll be able to constantly maintain match fitness doesn't it?

Look at what mitchell johnson did to england after returning from the IPL. :ph34r:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Is it? Just means that they'll be able to constantly maintain match fitness doesn't it?

Look at what mitchell johnson did to england after returning from the IPL. :ph34r:
Australia haven't won in England for a while now so I don't really know what you're talking about and I can't remember Johnson doing much (or anything in the test series) last time around in England. If you're talking about 2013/14 well that would have come 6 or 7 months after the end of the IPL.

Boult and Southee will come straight from the IPL into a test series. First test starts 21st May- IPL ends 24th May. Not knocking the players or NZ board it's just to england's advantage that they likely will be underprepared for the tour or won't make it due to injury.

England have a hectic schedule of their own coming into the NZ series having to tour WI in April and May although how many of West Indies best players play in that series must be up for considerable debate.

cnerd123

likes this
After going unsold first time around, Zak and Irfan Pathan wound up with large paycheques. Zak went for 40 million to the Delhi Daredevils - their third most expensive purchase - while IKP ended up going for 15 million rupees to CSK - the same amount they paid for M Hussey. Ojha also found a team, but for much less, as he returned to Mumbai Indians for 5 million rupees,

RR continued their fetish with unknowns by spending 100K each on Dinesh Salunkhe -a 32 year old legspinning allrounder who played for them in 2008 and hasn't played high level cricket since-, Pardeep Sahu -a 29 year old legspinning allrounder from Haryana with a middling record- and Barinder Singh Saran - a 22 year old left arm medium pacer from Punjab who played the last of his 4 FC and 3 T20 matches in 2011, but has a one-off List A appearance on Feb 2012. What they hope to achieve with such players is anyone's guess.

Albie Morkel was picked up for 3 million by Delhi, with a host of local players and useful Aussies (Andrew Tye, Travis Head, Marcus Stoinis) finding teams.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tye, Head and Stoinis actually found teams, wow.

I actually don't mind any of them, but didn't exactly think they were the type of players you'd bother purchasing.

cnerd123

likes this
Blizzard found a team too, Mumbai Indians for 300,000.

RR purchased Sagar Trivedi for 100,000 - remarkable in that this guy doesn't even have a Cricinfo profile. Or a Cricket Archive one. A bunch of random scorecards for domestic games in India show up when you google his name, but that's about it.

RR also picked up a more conventional name in Juan (AKA Rusty) Theron for 300,000, but given their quality of overseas players it is highly unlikely that he will get a game.

Couple of other domestic lads sold before the auction finally closed. 67 players sold in all - 23 foreign and 44 Indian.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Australia haven't won in England for a while now so I don't really know what you're talking about and I can't remember Johnson doing much (or anything in the test series) last time around in England. If you're talking about 2013/14 well that would have come 6 or 7 months after the end of the IPL.

Boult and Southee will come straight from the IPL into a test series. First test starts 21st May- IPL ends 24th May. Not knocking the players or NZ board it's just to england's advantage that they likely will be underprepared for the tour or won't make it due to injury.

England have a hectic schedule of their own coming into the NZ series having to tour WI in April and May although how many of West Indies best players play in that series must be up for considerable debate.
Oh I know, I was just joking around with the johnson bit.

I don't really think that the IPL will take that much out of boult and southee though.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Boult going for that much when he's an unproven T20 performer is surprising tstl. Clearly someone likes new ball swing bowling... or thinks he has a marketable face :happy:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Boult going for that much when he's an unproven T20 performer is surprising tstl. Clearly someone likes new ball swing bowling... or thinks he has a marketable face :happy:
I was thinking about this very thing last night & yeah, I reckon it has as much to do with the marketing than whether they can actually play.

Why else would they bid so high for an aging Zaheer Khan while there were some much better bowlers completely ignored for a fifth of the price?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Someone just desperately wants to see the Steyn/Boult dream team in action.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I was thinking about this very thing last night & yeah, I reckon it has as much to do with the marketing than whether they can actually play.

Why else would they bid so high for an aging Zaheer Khan while there were some much better bowlers completely ignored for a fifth of the price?
Still trust Zaheer in front of any other available Indian quicks. Therefore he's valuable.

JBMAC

State Captain
Will some one please explain to this little old country boy why ,when all the figures for players were released, why the figure "undisclosed sum" appeared besides Watson and Faulkners names?

Niall

International Coach
Ravi Bopara gets bought but Alex Hales doesn't. To quote the Pixies 1997 hit; 'Where is my mind?'

It's outrageous that anyone would sign Bopara over literally anyone.
Ravi has done well in the IPL previously to be fair and Hales is not cheap.

Nottinghamshire’s Alex Hales was one of over 150 players to go unsold in the high-profile India Premier League (IPL) T20 auction.

For the 26-year-old England batsman, it’s the second year in a row he has been left without a team bidding for him for the prestigious and money-spinning tournament.

In November 2013, Hales penned a new deal to keep him at Trent Bridge until 2016 and, under the terms of that deal, Notts would then grant him leave from the club during April and May to feature in the 2014, 2015 and 2016 editions of the IPL tournament, which could have provided him with a lucrative payday.

However, this was subject to him securing a ‘top bracket contract’ worth in excess of 400,000 US dollars (£250,000) per year and he has now failed to do this two years running.
Cricket: Notts' Alex Hales goes unsold at IPL auction once again | Nottingham Post

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Turns out the mystery spinner Kishan Cariappa is actually only 20 years old, and has risen to prominence through the Karnataka local T20 league.

Who is KC Cariappa, the mystery spinner snapped up by KKR for Rs2.4 crore - Livemint

He has also played for Karnataka U-19s. Karnataka are the strongest side in Ranji ATM, and are a pretty difficult team to break in to.

Should be interesting to see him in action, especially given the BCCIs intention on clamping down on suspect actions.
The **** is his stock ball then