• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Amir cleared to return with immediate effect

Antihippy

International Debutant
Nah, people might exploit the fact that people officiating the game can be clueless and they sometimes might get away with it, but sport should be about testing the physical peak of human strength/agility/ability/mental toughness, and taking drugs to enhance your performance is just pissing on all of that.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Agree with PEWS on fixing being worse than cheating.

Disagree that Amir should have a life ban for fixing tho.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Its interesting how strongly people feel about fixing in cricket compared to other sports.

For me its bad, but doping is far worse.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Atleast doping is meant to improve your performance.

Fixing is giving it all away for a leather jacket...

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Atleast doping is meant to improve your performance.

Fixing is giving it all away for a leather jacket...
Yeah, but thats not my problem. As an athlete, if my opponent wants to help me out to earn some money on the side then whatever. But an unfair advantage worth say 20/25% athletic improvement? That basically forces me into either cheating as well or my career becoming pointless.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Im not speaking from an Athletes point of view here but as a spectator.

Atleast With doping theres the intention to 'improve' your performance while trying your very best. Everyone is still trying to win. Thats not the same With Fixing.

Fixing is just giving it all away for a few bucks or a warm weather clothing option.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its interesting how strongly people feel about fixing in cricket compared to other sports.

Might it be because cricket is one of the sports which is about more than just physical ability than sports like football, track and field, NFL, etc? Sure, I guess taking something which would improve your strength and speed would give you an advantage but at the end of the day, if Shane Watson bulks up even more than he already is, it's not going to suddenly make him a world beater.

On the other hand, an average sprinter/cyclist/footballer/lineback can gain a massive advantage because the sheer physical aspect of those games is extremely significant. It can turn a mediocre performer into a brilliant one. In cricket though, while being a great athlete helps, it doesn't necessarily make you better at the sport.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What if Shane Watson ingested drugs that augmented his fast twitch muscle fibres or improved his reaction times?

cnerd123

likes this
As a player, I would rather my opponent attempt to cheat to win than throw the match to lose. The former makes victory taste sweeter and allows me an excuse if I lose. The latter makes all my efforts futile. My five wicket haul, my century, my match-winning performance...suddenly it holds no value when I realise my opponent wasn't even trying to beat me. And if I fail when my opponent was attempting to throw the game...well that just sucks even harder.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Might it be because cricket is one of the sports which is about more than just physical ability than sports like football, track and field, NFL, etc?
***Begin off-topic rant*** Ah the elitism of cricket fans never fails to astound me. Not picking on you in particular OS, but this sort of posting just irks the hell out of me. I don't deny that you must have the physical ability, but if that's all it took it took to become successful at football or the NFL, then countless guys at my local gym with 0% body fat and displaying all the right muscles would be multimillionaires. They're not. We all love Cricket and think it's the greatest sport in the history of ever. That doesn't mean that we have to be so dismissive about other sports. ***End off-topic rant***

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

***Begin off-topic rant*** Ah the elitism of cricket fans never fails to astound me. Not picking on you in particular OS, but this sort of posting just irks the hell out of me. I don't deny that you must have the physical ability, but if that's all it took it took to become successful at football or the NFL, then countless guys at my local gym with 0% body fat and displaying all the right muscles would be multimillionaires. They're not. We all love Cricket and think it's the greatest sport in the history of ever. That doesn't mean that we have to be so dismissive about other sports. ***End off-topic rant***
How was my post dismissive if other sports? If anything it was dismissive of cricket that the physical aspect of the game is lacking. I never said being a big brute is all there is to sports like NFL but it helps.... A lot. Being strong or fast is the entire point of athletics. Not so in cricket.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator

Personally fixing is the absolutely worst thing you can do in a sporting sense regardless of the sports, exactly for the reasons ***** describes. Sucks all meaning, joy, and emotion out of the contest.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Idk doping and fixing are equally bad imo. Both are against the integrity of the sport, can't see why anyone would try to rationalize that one is worse than the other.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
And in any case what Amir did wasn't "throwing the match" in any way. He was asked to bowl a few no-balls that would probably have had no impact on the match really. It still goes against the integrity of the sport because now whenever bowls no-balls repeatedly there will always be people wondering whether it was done deliberately.

Spark

Global Moderator
And in any case what Amir did wasn't "throwing the match" in any way. He was asked to bowl a few no-balls that would probably have had no impact on the match really. It still goes against the integrity of the sport because now whenever bowls no-balls repeatedly there will always be people wondering whether it was done deliberately.
But that's exactly why fixing is so dire, because even the smallest piece of corruption taints the whole sport. You could argue this was the case with doping too (wrt say athletics, swimming, cycling) but I think that's more a case of having many more doping than fixing problems.

Daemon

pews just prefers doping to fixing because fixing ****s up his betting predictions

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually did struggle to think of a good cricket example. When I've made the argument in the past it's been on rugby league forums and used the examples of making a tackle when you're offside and raking the ball out in the ruck; they really are outright cheating acts that happen countless times every game, whereas the cricket examples I gave really aren't as such.
lol