• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Amir cleared to return with immediate effect

King Pietersen

International Captain
He did the crime, he served his time, now he should be allowed a second chance and to play cricket at any level he has earned the merit to play on. I like watching him bowl, so I'd like to see him return for Pakistan. What he did was obviously bad for the game, and he's a moron for doing it but he has served his time for that and deserves a second chance.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How would you guys feel if he was your teammate? Not sure I'd want to be in the trenches with a guy like him but I'd probably give him another chance, we've all ****ed up before.

Fusion

Global Moderator
How would you guys feel if he was your teammate? Not sure I'd want to be in the trenches with a guy like him but I'd probably give him another chance, we've all ****ed up before.
That's a really valid question. If his teammates/co-workers are totally put off working with him and it poisons the locker room, then it may be a valid reason to subsequently kick him off the team. I'm on the fence on that one. I would still want him to be allowed back on the team though and at least see if the experiment worked.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just to be clear, I am not against any of what Fusion or others have said. I am ok with the guy being given a second chance if the people that matter feel he does repent and will not make such mistakes again. I was just giving my two cents on the spot fixing is a lesser crime than match fixing argument.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
but he's pretty to watch so it's ok. the faisal iqbal post said everything.
The Faisal Iqbal post said what exactly? Have you ever been affected by nepotism? Have you ever lived in a country where regardless of your talent, ****wits like Iqbal regularly get ahead of you because of their wealth and connections? Maybe I've just known and heard of too many people whose dreams were shattered and lives were ruined because they didn't belong to right family. But hey, as long as he gave it the good old college try you can feel good about the game and not give a **** about the people he held back.

What Amir did was a ****ing victimless crime in contrast to what people like Faisal Iqbal have been getting away with for decades. And this is coming from a guy who hates Amir's guts.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
That's a really valid question. If his teammates/co-workers are totally put off working with him and it poisons the locker room, then it may be a valid reason to subsequently kick him off the team. I'm on the fence on that one. I would still want him to be allowed back on the team though and at least see if the experiment worked.
Yeah see I'm not on the fence on that one at all. If his teammates that have earned their right to be there (and haven't, you know, thrown no balls for money) don't feel comfortable playing with Amir, I would be very much against forcing him upon them. Back to gali cricket kid, maybe try kissing a lot more ass and get in people's good graces.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Faisal Iqbal post said what exactly? Have you ever been affected by nepotism? Have you ever lived in a country where regardless of your talent, ****wits like Iqbal regularly get ahead of you because of their wealth and connections? Maybe I've just known and heard of too many people whose dreams were shattered and lives were ruined because they didn't belong to right family. But hey, as long as he gave it the good old college try you can feel good about the game and not give a **** about the people he held back.

What Amir did was a ****ing victimless crime in contrast to what people like Faisal Iqbal have been getting away with for decades. And this is coming from a guy who hates Amir's guts.
Could not disagree more with this. Really think you and ***** are reaching massively to make it seem as though what Faisal did is as bad as Amir. No way.

And it's been explained literally dozens of times that it was not a victimless crime, so I'd appreciate it if people stopped saying that.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Could not disagree more with this. Really think you and ***** are reaching massively to make it seem as though what Faisal did is as bad as Amir. No way.

And it's been explained literally dozens of times that it was not a victimless crime, so I'd appreciate it if people stopped saying that.
Agree to disagree on the first point, I do think it depends a lot on personal experiences. I don't want to harp on it too much because I'm sternly in the "Amir is a **** and I wouldn't be sad if he never played again" camp.

On the second point, I did say 'in contrast'.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nepotism ****ing sucks but I think the fault there lies much more with the people in positions in power who decided to exercise that power in nepotistic ways than Fasial himself, who seems to have done nothing other than get selected, try his best and come up short.

harsh.ag

Nepotism ****ing sucks but I think the fault there lies much more with the people in positions in power who decided to exercise that power in nepotistic ways than Fasial himself, who seems to have done nothing other than get selected, try his best and come up short.
Yes, but you don't live in a country where opportunities are once in a lifetime Pews.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Even if we think spot fixing = match fixing, the fact remains that he was punished for his crime and served his time. He didn't get away with it; on the contrary, he paid a very significant price for a very significant crime. For me, the main issue has always been about second chances and redemption. If you look at the circumstances here (a young kid who came from nothing, influenced by his Captain, and who didn't have a prior offense), then it especially makes sense to give him a second chance. And for those saying he should get that chance outside of cricket, that's complete bull. To take away his main chance at making a successful living is certainly not giving him a second chance, it's extending his punishment. Also, I find it strange that all harping about "he broke the rules" are forgetting that his punishment and return is exactly by the rules.

As I've said before, it would be a joy to see him return to the team and I'm rooting for him to succeed and make the best of his second chance in life.
I don't see what's so bad about that.

If I commit fraud then I can kiss any chance at working again in my chosen field goodbye.

harsh.ag

I don't see what's so bad about that.

If I commit fraud then I can kiss any chance at working again in my chosen field goodbye.
Yeah, and that is one reason why such fields, like law and medicine, wait for their representatives to finish college and grad school before they are allowed to practice, Doogie Howsers aside.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, and that is one reason why such fields, like law and medicine, wait for their representatives to finish college and grad school before they are allowed to practice, Doogie Howsers aside.
Furball works in finance, as I understand it, so I don't think that analogy really holds water.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
I would have all 3 back. Amir and in particular Asif were a treat to watch. And Butt is still the best test opener Pak have produced in a decade

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah see I'm not on the fence on that one at all. If his teammates that have earned their right to be there (and haven't, you know, thrown no balls for money) don't feel comfortable playing with Amir, I would be very much against forcing him upon them. Back to gali cricket kid, maybe try kissing a lot more ass and get in people's good graces.
You're right to not like faisals selection. I'm saying if people were being consistent they'd object to both players.