• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Amir cleared to return with immediate effect

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You guys are all missing the point a ridiculous amount. No one says Amir's 5 year ban isn't severe. We're saying it isn't severe enough. Most people who are for the Amir life ban believe that anyone found guilty of any level of match/spot fixing should be given a life ban. Doesn't matter if it's a no-ball or a spree of setups like Cronje and Vincent. Life ban for any guilty party involved in any sort of fixing.
We'll stop mis-representing your stance when you stop saying that we're being seduced by Amir's talent.

Nah but seriously, I think a lot of us understand each other's stance, there's just a fundamental difference between those who think there should be some type of binary scale or a spectrum of punishment.

The binary scale is great for rating women, btw. Really sorts out those pesky 6.5-7s.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah but seriously, I think a lot of us understand each other's stance, there's just a fundamental difference between those who think there should be some type of binary scale or a spectrum of punishment.
Yeah exactly. This isn't a debate like whether Batsman A is better than Batsman B. Its a different philosophy on how punitive the punishment should be. I get that the debate was necessary and worthwhile when he first got punished and then when he was announced as making his comeback, but to continue arguing it won't achieve much. You can make someone change their mind with regards to stats and facts re: who is a better batsman. Harder when it is a pure philosophical, and even moral, difference.

I'm on record in this thread saying I supported a life ban. But I can see why some think that would have been too harsh.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good or bad for Cricket? M. Aamer gets recalled and takes a 5 fer straight away

We're talking international cricket. any form.

would you be happy or annoyed at this?

i'm sure i made my opinion of this dude pretty obvious in that heated topic, but for those who didn't see i'll re-iterate: i'd love to see this happen. love a good comeback story

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is a topic I hate to think about. On one hand... And on the other...

If only one could go back in time and this whole episode could be erased. What a waste of a talent.

mr_mister

yeah whenever good young cricketers come along i start to think about all the potential records they might break. as a kid it was mainly just most matches, most runs and most wickets.

luckily age has made me realise averages are a far bigger bragging right than the above as it rewards quality as opposed to longevity. i digress but yeah, i was so excited for aamer to break all kind of wickettaking records, dude was young as ****. i was like this with hughes and smith too when they debuted. luckily smith is still a chance of breaking a ton of records. aamer probably isnt now

Niall

International Coach
We're talking international cricket. any form.

would you be happy or annoyed at this?

i'm sure i made my opinion of this dude pretty obvious in that heated topic, but for those who didn't see i'll re-iterate: i'd love to see this happen. love a good comeback story

Of course you would.

His first possible international recall would be against England in October.:laugh:

Scaly piscine

Bad, undoubtedly.

Did I miss him admitting to bowling deliberately no-balls for money or has he still kept up the pretence that he's innocent?

Teja.

Global Moderator
It'll be good cricket product and the impending conflict on CW will be great. All for it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bad, undoubtedly.

Did I miss him admitting to bowling deliberately no-balls for money or has he still kept up the pretence that he's innocent?
He admitted it eventually, but only about a year after he was caught and it was obvious that he was going to get punished no matter what.

Has Asif ever admitted to it? Last I heard he was still maintaining that it was all coincidence as shown by the miniscule nature of his no-ball compared to Amir's.

Niall

International Coach
Saj Sadiq ‏@Saj_PakPassion 4h4 hours ago
Update : Mohammad Amir match by match so far in the QEA Trophy qualifying round :

7 for 55
10 for 131
10 for 85
#Cricket

Tearing it up at the moment, some decent batsman in the opposition as well.

No reason whatsoever not to call him up next tour, you could argue it is to early, but really can he be a worse option than Junaid Khan?

smash84

The Tiger King
he might be bowling much better than junaid khan but he might make the dressing room atmosphere extremely toxic, which would be a bigger drag on Pak's performance