• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammed Amir cleared to return with immediate effect

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Posters like Flem and PEWS have said that they would like to see Amir get a second chance outside of cricket.

But a lot of people would care, even if you don't.
He could get a job working in the Pak foreign office, and instigate diplomatic incidents when convicted criminals get refused visas in countries that want nothing to do with them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I see your point, but I hope the ICC will treat each case and each player's situation on its merit, instead of going on past precedents.

The precedent that needed to be set was to make it clear that contacting any ICC official when approached to fix would guarantee a player's safety.

Hopefully the next kid in Amir's situation will look back on this case, see how Amir was taken care of during the procedure, and feel safe and confident enough to approach the ICC despite any threats to his career or his life
Yeah, or they might look back, see how he got a few years of holiday, and was allowed to resume his career without question later down the line, and decide that given that's the potential punishment for that sort of malfeasence, it might be worth trying their own hand at rigging matches.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
So, how many no-balls did he bowl on his return?

I bet his captain **** his pants at every instance for fear of being implicated.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, or they might look back, see how he got a few years of holiday, and was allowed to resume his career without question later down the line, and decide that given that's the potential punishment for that sort of malfeasence, it might be worth trying their own hand at rigging matches.
Nah, not unless he makes as much fixing as he would earn in 5 years playing the game.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
He could get a job working in the Pak foreign office, and instigate diplomatic incidents when convicted criminals get refused visas in countries that want nothing to do with them.
Or maybe he would end up living in squalor if denied of anything to do with cricket.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You're not gonna get paid for 5 years worth of cricket to bowl no-balls.

And there is a difference between a kid asking to fix and a kid being pressured into it.

Expected better from you sledger.
Of course I'm not going to. I barely even know what a no-ball is.

cnerd123

likes this
Ok. I disagree with life bans as a precedent. I would prefer we deal with each player on a case-by-case basis.

cnerd123

likes this
If your investigation shows a young player willingly engaging in match fixing, punish him stricter.

If he is pressured into doing it with the argument "hey look at Amir, he only lost 5 years, that's nothing for a kid like you", then punish him stricter.

The main thing the ICC should be highlighting, IMO, is that from this point on any player who is pressured into fixing should feel safe to approach the ICC and ask for help. Make the channels of communication clear and easily accessible. Provide them and their family security.

This way when a 19 year old kid from poverty in Bangladesh is receiving death threats to under-perform, he knows who to contact and knows he will be safe. He won't do an Amir and go along with it, and won't feel the need to resort to doing what Haider did and run away.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, that's fine. But as far as I am concerned the absolute minimum punishment for being found guilty of being involved in rigging elements of a match etc... ought to be a life ban.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Has Amir's version of events been corroborated?

I mean, we have his word that he was coerced, but maybe he was presented with the opportunity and grabbed it gleefully with both hands.