Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: Let's say we get a new Bradman...what happens?

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers

Let's say we get a new Bradman...what happens?

Will people be able to believe it or handle it?

I think people around my age will agree Bradman is almost like a legendary hero more than a real cricketer to my generation. We know he's real of course, but if he was a fictional character he would shatter the suspension of disbelief.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I think the New Bradman would cop heat like no other player has. We already have people trying very hard to discredit the achievements of "normal" all time greats (and Bradman himself) but the immediacy of a modern player averaging 100 would draw in all manner of boring people trying to prove he's secretly mediocre.

What do you think the effect on global sporting culture would be? Bradman was running around in a quieter time, before sportsmen were multi-million dollar stars broadcast on telly 24/7. Bradman was talked about, and if you were lucky enough to live in Australia or England, you could go and watch him but otherwise you were **** out of luck and had to read a book or something. A player dominating to the extent Bradman did would be more in your face than Bradman himself was thanks to modern media.

Would we see the New Bradman coming? I don't know if they saw the old one coming, but someone that good would be so advanced by their mid teens they would probably get a test gig like Sachin did yeah?

Finally, would any team with a New Bradman immediately become the best side in the world?

Personally I suspect the only thing holding a modern Bradman from being the "biggest" sportsman of all time would be the relatively smaller stature of cricket in global sport. Because it's almost non-existent in continental Europe, big parts of Asia and America then maybe he wouldn't be as big as Tiger Woods or Michael Schumacher. Regardless of that though I think he would be huge, but also take a very long time to become accepted as the real deal because so many would be waiting for him to fail even after 5+ years.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

We would get used to it in the end. Rather like football has got used to Messi and Ronaldo, it just becomes normal after a while. I know Bradman is even more stupid than those two but it would go the same way I imagine.
    zorax likes this.

International Vice-Captain
    Not a bad discussion at all. Very dependent on where the individual came from, as to whether he was a mega-star.

I have one question though - if new Bradman came from India, would Tendulkar still be considered better than him?
    zorax and mr_mister like this.

He'll definitely be called a flat-track bully.
    kiwiviktor81 likes this.
    cricrate - follow twitter and facebook for updates

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Not a bad discussion at all. Very dependent on where the individual came from, as to whether he was a mega-star.

I have one question though - if new Bradman came from India, would Tendulkar still be considered better than him?
    Who knows, because the fundamental lack of intellectual integrity required in "Tendulkar > Bradman" is such that anything is possible under a framework.
    zorax likes this.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Who knows, because the fundamental lack of intellectual integrity required in "Tendulkar > Bradman" is such that anything is possible under a framework.
    Exactly my point, sir.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Dhoni_183*'s Avatar
    I have a feeling Kohli may end up rivalling Tendulkar in tests and odis so you could say a "new bradman." But he has to go from strength to strength for next 10 years. I can't say we have seen another Sachin yet, he was truly the best. I know this thread is about finding another Don, but many of us don't view him as the best, for me it's whether there will be another Sachin.
    Been watching the game since 96, no one compares to King Mahi for me:

aura and never sledged , helicopter shot, captain kool, play swing bowling early not late, shuffle to off stump, flay over point, CSK IPL winners, Champions League winners, First T20 trophy winners 07, WC champions 2011, number 1 in tests 09-11, best odi finisher, in forbes top 10 list of most valuable athletes, greatest wkt keeper/bat/captain ever in any format!

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    FMD. Make this bloke go away already.

hahaha omg you couldn't make that up.
    zorax likes this.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhoni_183* View Post
    I have a feeling Kohli may end up rivalling Tendulkar in tests and odis so you could say a "new bradman."
    No, you'd say he's the new Sachin. Unless he rivals Bradman, then you'd say he's the new Bradman.

As Spark states, theres such a lack of integrity when comparing legendary players of the past, such as Bradman, to the next generation of great players such as Tendulkar. It reminds me of online IQ testing - anyone can find a criteria set that gives them the result they want, but if whenever you open your mouth all you come out with is ****, then the results have no basis.
    _Ed_ and zorax like this.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I have a feeling Kohli may end up rivalling Tendulkar in tests and odis so you could say a "new bradman." But he has to go from strength to strength for next 10 years. I can't say we have seen another Sachin yet, he was truly the best. I know this thread is about finding another Don, but many of us don't view him as the best, for me it's whether there will be another Sachin.
    _Ed_, zorax, Swingpanzee and 4 others like this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

The thing about Bradman is that it's just so vastly beyond anything we've ever experienced that it's pretty much incomprehensible by definition. You basically have to take the productivity of Smith/Kohli recently and then multiply to every single series, on average, for the next 15 years to get even a crude approximation.
    Flem274* and zorax like this.

Can we talk about the New Bradman pls.
    Adders likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    The thing about Bradman is that it's just so vastly beyond anything we've ever experienced that it's pretty much incomprehensible by definition. You basically have to take the productivity of Smith/Kohli recently and then multiply to every single series, on average, for the next 15 years to get even a crude approximation.
    Yeah this is the thing, and why it would be so fascinating for another to appear in modern cricket. I'm not sure if I could process a guy averaging 100. It's like those people who force-crash and restart the ICC games until their batsman has a century.

Kohli will not be the new Bradman just like Tendulkar was never the new Bradman

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information