• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserve Aussie batsman for tour of Sri Lanka

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Andre said:
For the record, he's averaged 45 in Test cricket the past 2 years. But hey, lets drop him! :rolleyes:

hehe why not, while we are at it, lets drop Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist and Gillespie too;););)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Yes, yes. Let's get a whole new team!

If someone is not scoring a century every second innings, and still manages to average 45, to me that says CONSISTANCY. If the media had never mentioned anything to do with his lack of humungo scores, you wouldn't have even given it a second thought. Now all of a sudden it's not good enough. No wonder the one-fingered salute comes out. It has a right too ;).

Originally posted by Craig
BTW Linda if you find the time to get to know me I'm orginally not from Queensland.
Pass.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I'm not saying drop him - just bat him down the list. Lehmann would be the perfect 4 coming in.

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
If someone is not scoring a century every second innings, and still manages to average 45, to me that says CONSISTANCY. If the media had never mentioned anything to do with his lack of humungo scores, you wouldn't have even given it a second thought.
But how many big scores has he made?

Please tell me it is obvious I know nothing about cricket.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Craig
95, 74, 71, 64, 66*...

What, do you think Martyn's sleeping with someone to get his position?!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Yes but in that time he did have an injury and missed the flat tracks in the Windies and two tests against Bangladesh.
And I would imagine that sort of miss is in the minds of the selectors when looking at their selections.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:

Please tell me it is obvious I know nothing about cricket.
Martyn hasn't scored a hundred for 4 series now. Pakistan, England, Bangladesh, India - big woop - hes made some important half-centuries.

What you fail to see is the contribution he has made to the side during this time - cricket isn't only about hundreds anf five-wicket hauls. Hence, the idea of 11 players on the field.

Allan Border went for 4 years without a Test ton. But I guess he sucks too, in your reasoning!

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Andre said:

Allan Border went for 4 years without a Test ton. But I guess he sucks too, in your reasoning!
Yes, but he did end up scoring over 10 000 runs and 29 centuries.

Being an all time great they could afford to give him a bit of slack (and if I remember rightly he still averaged over 50 during that time and I don't think it was as long as 4 years)

Martyn is not in that class. He is struggling at 4. Bat him at 6.

Andre

International Regular
mavric41 said:
Yes, but he did end up scoring over 10 000 runs and 29 centuries.

Being an all time great they could afford to give him a bit of slack (and if I remember rightly he still averaged over 50 during that time and I don't think it was as long as 4 years)

Martyn is not in that class. He is struggling at 4. Bat him at 6.
Your missing the point. Craig wants Martyn dumped from the side completely.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Lehmann in particular is a much better bowler than Clarke and Symonds.

more experienced and more defensive i would say, not neccessarily better - also i dont think Lehmann would go that well bowling medium pace like symonds :)

Mingster

State Regular
Andre said:
Martyn hasn't scored a hundred for 4 series now. Pakistan, England, Bangladesh, India - big woop - hes made some important half-centuries.

What you fail to see is the contribution he has made to the side during this time - cricket isn't only about hundreds anf five-wicket hauls. Hence, the idea of 11 players on the field.

Ah thanks for backing up my stats mate. :cool2:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
i dont think Lehmann would go that well bowling medium pace like symonds :)
What need would there be for second (or possibly third) rate medium pace on the subcontinent?

That's the same as saying Muralitharan isn't a good bowler because his facst bowling is awful.

Craig

World Traveller
Linda said:
95, 74, 71, 64, 66*...

What, do you think Martyn's sleeping with someone to get his position?!:rolleyes:
Did I ever say that you silly little girl?

And there is no hundreds in there.

And Andre have you got anything to back up your comment that I'm a bandwagoner?