Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Brett Lee's Test Career

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar

Brett Lee's Test Career

Brett averaged above 30 in tests. However, if you look at his test strike rate, it is 53.3. Given that Steve Waugh asked him to go all out, and it also resulted in him being more way ward than he probably would have been, it is fair to say he did his job in one of the greatest teams fairly well? Lee got you quick wickets, even if he went for a few. That added to the deadliness of the Australians. If you remove Asia and Europe, where he was not that good, Brett Lee took 266 test wickets at 27.5 and a strike rate of 49.2. Tendulkar always rates Lee as one of the best bowlers he faced and Tendulkar's words must count for some thing.

Okay, one can say Lee was a bit less dimensional, not doing too well in England or Asia. However, he was a strike bowler. People are bound to forget bowlers like Lee and Akhtar (who was more **** in the sense that he was unfulfilled and missed half his career), however, they both were capable of running through line ups and without naming names, I would have them ahead of some better average stock bowlers who bowled more economically and thus buttered their averages. Some one who was similar to Lee in the strike sense was Darren Gough imo. A strike rate of just above 50 and an average just below 30. People would forget him 30 years from now. However, they were terrific bowlers a notch or two below absolute great but not mediocre in any way in test terms.
    Last edited by Pratters; 26-01-2015 at 12:46 PM.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quick and a very good compliment to Gillespie and McGrath who could all keep it tight constantly and strike.

There were times when I thought Kaspa and Bichel were more deserving of tests than Lee, but sometimes it's hard to overlook raw pace at a cost, when you can afford it. Good SR as pointed out, also.

Should be noted that when McGrath and Gillespie were retired and Lee became the main man, he went up a notch and bowled better than ever imo.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Yeah, I reckon Binga's figures come out looking far worse than they otherwise might have as a result of the role he played in the team.
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quotes of the Year:
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    All hail KW, GOAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    *These quotes may read differently out of context

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Remember post-McGrath when Lee finally looked like the fast spearhead that Australia had always dreamed he would be?

1st Test: Australia v Sri Lanka at Brisbane, Nov 8-12, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

God he looked awesome in that series. Thought he'd be the next big thing.
    Direbirds FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    As they say "if you've got nothing good to say then don't say nothing at all" :cool:

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Injuries have cost us the careers of so many players who would have been amazing. It's such a bloody shame.

Is a good strike rate really of such value when playing in a team featuring Warne, McGrath and Gillespie?

Yeah well.. Gillespie and McGrath had similar or better strike rates, he'll always be overshadowed by them.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. S.R Tendulkar 5. W.R Hammond 6. G.S Sobers 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. Richard Hadlee 9. M.D Marshall 10. S.K Warne 11. G.D McGrath

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Also shouldn't be overlooked that he was a pretty handy batsman and a very good fielder.

Brought people to the game too. My son (8) loves him just thru the Big Bash. Always had that air of electricity when he bowled because of the pure pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Remember post-McGrath when Lee finally looked like the fast spearhead that Australia had always dreamed he would be?

1st Test: Australia v Sri Lanka at Brisbane, Nov 8-12, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

I feel that Lee could have continued his good form if he had not been overbowled. I think Australia and Ponting were simply too reliant on him, he looked finished by mid India tour and the subsequent SA tour in 2008.

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    His brother was the better player.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Absolutely loved watching him play! Don't think he is rated unfairly though. He played in a team where it was easier to maintain a good strike rate.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    Is a good strike rate really of such value when playing in a team featuring Warne, McGrath and Gillespie?
    McGrath being a wicket-taking spearhead at the same time as being an economical stock bowler really provided the luxury of playing Lee in that ultra-aggressive manner.

I mean, you've just seen off McGrath and Gillespie. You know Warnie's about to start his spell. Would you rather face Andy Bichel, who you know will be at you all day at 135km/h giving you nothing and supporting the other two, or would you rather face Lee and have 150km/h thunderbolts coming at your nose all spell, because he doesn't have to 'bowl properly' in the channel as you do when you're the attack leader?

Just proves how epic a combination McWarne was, really -- attacking threats who still didn't concede runs in going for the wickets.
    Pratters likes this.

International Coach OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Yeah good bowler. Didnt become the spearhead I expected him to be after the 99-00 india series but was ok. He was mediocre for a long stretch of his career though. For all the talk about his strike rate I think without looking at the stats, his SR would've been better when he actually became the spearhead in 07-08 after McGrath and Warne retired. Was awesome in that period, but for the majority of his career he was just all right.

There lie they, and here lie we, Under the spreading chestnut tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post

Given he was already in his early thirties it was probably a bit late for that tbh.

Pretty sure Brock Lesnar was the Next Big Thing
    Pratters likes this.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information