• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2015

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah I get the sense Hendrix would prefer six Grant Elliotts' compared to six block-bashers with similar records.

Ideally you want to score off as many of the 300 deliveries as you can but if a batsman is a good enough hitter to make up for it then it's not a deal breaker, especially if they're an opener. When your next best tried players are Latham, Brownlie and Devcich and your untried for a while/ever players are similar (Worker, Papps) then really it's best to stick with the good but not great batsman who happens to be in poor form.

Plus Guptill is a wicket taker in the field. He is deadset the bloke most likely to induce a South African disappointment in a final just with his fielding.

Footnote - I remember in 2007(?) or so just before Guptill debuted he was known for his ability to nudge the ball into gaps. He looked like a king during his 50 over final hundred against Otago. McCullum h4xed the game in the next innings but he and Guptill were a class above with both their hitting and their ability to score off as many balls as possible.

I think when Guptill is nervous his hands become concrete. In his early years he never had trouble scoring off every ball, he had trouble recognising the ball to block or leave.

This Guptill is better at going big but old Guptill contributed more often.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Old Guptill would hit every ball but he didn't pick gaps. Still hit it straight to the fielder. He just played at more deliveries.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW I'm not advocating a Guptill dropping. I've already conceded that Latham probably isn't there yet, and even Watling isn't worth trying as an opener. It's Guptill or bust.

He's not fluent though and that 66NO was about as ugly as is possible.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
No to Henry he isn't in the WC squad anyway

It has to be Southee, Boult, Milne. I would love to see how the combo goes. We haven't been taken wickets up front and we need to start getting them.

It doesn't surprise me the only game Southee and Boult played together Boult took 4 wickets! Boult feeds of Southee and vice versa.
I'd love to see Milne get a 4fer I reckon he's been painfully unlucky and when he starts taking wickets they will come thick and fast.

Marty Guptill is a worry, but he's been getting out so quickly its hard to no what kind of nick he's in. I actually rated his 60 in auckland, definitely the best Guptill i've seen in a black jersey for a long time. I agree he should try to hit himself back in to form, defense is not his forte.

Last edited:

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
I put Henry there so Timmy, Lord Mills and Jammy Mitch don't get burnt out, there's another game on Tuesday, and another 2 warm up games after that. Plus I want to watch him bowl on my day off :unsure:

3 of Boult's 4 wickets were tailenders who were chasing 10+ runs/over, so he showed he's good at cleaning up the tail but not the top order batsman (except Mahela's wicket in his second spell which was a good one), but I hope he can start showing he can clean up the openers with the brand new ball.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If fine Guptill innings means struggling to rotate the strike and hitting straight-slogs to get out of jail then yeah, pretty standard Guptill innings. It was rather bad to watch.
This is pretty much where he's at - any other ground and the get out of jail shot doesn't present itself as easily.

Which is why I'm hoping he gets going v Australia, although I imagine they'll do homework and their bowling line-up won't pitching up too much.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
I put Henry there so Timmy, Lord Mills and Jammy Mitch don't get burnt out, there's another game on Tuesday, and another 2 warm up games after that. Plus I want to watch him bowl on my day off :unsure:

3 of Boult's 4 wickets were tailenders who were chasing 10+ runs/over, so he showed he's good at cleaning up the tail but not the top order batsman (except Mahela's wicket in his second spell which was a good one), but I hope he can start showing he can clean up the openers with the brand new ball.
Thisara and Jeevan are all rounders and Kulasekera is a decent tailender who can tonk a bit. Not bad wickets + Boults tight bowling upfront had boosted the rrr. All of our new ball bowlers need to start making early breakthroughs.

msaaim89

Cricket Spectator
Good chance for Taylor to get back into form; very weak Pakistani bowling line up. Boult, Southee and Milne should be able to rip through the weak batting line up. Hafeez and Younis are absolute garbage and Afridi will likely bat at 7. On paper, this is an easy win for NZ.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Good chance for Taylor to get back into form; very weak Pakistani bowling line up. Boult, Southee and Milne should be able to rip through the weak batting line up. Hafeez and Younis are absolute garbage and Afridi will likely bat at 7. On paper, this is an easy win for NZ.
I hope so too. Taylor is crucial to NZ doing well at the WC. Kane is playing well but he is bound to fail and we need Taylor to stand up when it matters.

Flem274*

123/5
Old Man River!

Hafeez not a bloke you want to take out of the UAE tbf, but better batsmen than he would have been castled just the same.

Flem274*

123/5
Boult swings it more than Mills so if he doesn't take wickets here then he can pick up an "injury" imo and make way for Henry.

We might be about to see some jizzworthy balls from Boulteh here.

smash84

The Tiger King
oh man, this pakistan team will struggle to make it to the QFs let alone think of reaching the top 4