• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2015

Flem274*

123/5
Nah the best quote of that was him declaring he would never come back to New Zealand ever again.

He came back.

Flem274*

123/5
Just had a look at the second tour game. Pakistan basically lost to Canterbury B and Guests. Half the team sits on the Cantabrian reserves bench.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's not a stretch to say Pakistan feels a worse ODI side than WI.
Hmmm...nah. Now that WI have lost Bravo, Pollard and Narine they're seriously short on quality. Pakistan aren't great either but I'd say they have more international standard players across the board.

Jezroy

State Captain
I think it's not a stretch to say Pakistan feels a worse ODI side than WI.
Funny how a couple of years ago I thought the feeling was group B was the much tougher group - SA, Pak, Ind, WI, plus much tougher minnows in Zim and Ire. Group A seemed to be the "easy" group - Aus, Eng, and SL - then Bangers and NZ (who were ranked 9th at the time and quite poor). Now I think 3 of the semi finalists will come from Group A.

Pakistan and WI to me are on a pretty similar level. Not as consistent as some of the other teams, but with the odd individual who can make the difference (eg. Gayle/Samuels/Afridi/Sarfraz etc).

Xuhaib

International Coach
I hope Junaid recovers from his injury. He is by far our best odi bowler especially with Ajmal unavailable.

GGG

State Captain
Yeah but who else? Latham hasn't done any better and Guptil is a better fielder. Williamson could open but moving him out of position would be crazy. Could do a bizarro 92 and open the batting with a spinner.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah no time now. imo let him go into t20 mode. Tell him quick cameos are ok and the big scores will come.

Lets face it, next guy in is devcich and well no.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Greetings to all. I just signed off in the SL thread. It was a good series so now let's see how we get on against Pakistan.

One difference we'll face when playing Pakistan will be their hitters. SL have a number of stroke makers in their top order but no real big hitters in their middle/lower order. Pakistan has the likes of Afridi, Akmal and Misbah who can slog the ball a long way when they need to. We'll need to find a way to contend with these guys.

Mike5181

International Captain
Nah no time now. imo let him go into t20 mode. Tell him quick cameos are ok and the big scores will come.

Lets face it, next guy in is devcich and well no.
Brownlie would go all right, especially in these conditions. Can't do anything with the squad locked in already though.

GGG

State Captain
Brownlie would go all right, especially in these conditions. Can't do anything with the squad locked in already though.
Well no, unless someone gets injured. The rules to me seam crazy, it is suppose to be your best team so you should be allowed to make as many changes as you wish.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Well no, unless someone gets injured. The rules to me seam crazy, it is suppose to be your best team so you should be allowed to make as many changes as you wish.
I suspect that might give home teams an unfair advantage?

I wouldn't worry about Guptill too much, he apparently looked pretty good in his 66 not out at Eden Park before the rain came. He was also in good domestic form beforehand. Before the 92 World Cup apart from Rutherford, the batsmen didn't really have much form going into it. Greatbatch in particular was woefully out of form. I think Guptill will be fine.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If fine Guptill innings means struggling to rotate the strike and hitting straight-slogs to get out of jail then yeah, pretty standard Guptill innings. It was rather bad to watch.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The idea that you have to rotate the strike as fluently as Sangakkara or Williamson to play an effective ODI innings is erroneous. He was picking runs off his legs and hitting the occasional gap. That is what Guptill does.

He also didn't get bogged down at the start of his innings like he has been in the last year.