• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Garry v Sachin

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPARISON OF THEIR CRICKETING ABILITIES

Last week I got chatting to a mate of a mate and dicovered that we had a love of cricket in common. Eventually the conversation got round to the subject of the first Test we ever went to - he was a few years older than me and his was the Lord's Test against West Indies in 1966. West Indies had won the first Test and he went up on the Monday, the fourth day - England had their noses in front, but not by a huge distance - cricinfo confirms that England had a first innings lead of 86 and the WIndies were 18-1

He was in that part of the ground where all the West Indies supporters were, and these were the days when a whole lot of them would turn up at the Tests and turn their part of the ground into a calypso party. He said they were incredibly knowledgeable and good natured, even though they lost a couple of quick wickets and then a fourth at 91 when Seymour Nurse went. That brought Sobers to the crease and he said the change in the crowd was unbelievable - absolute adulation for the great man (to a man they referred to him simply as "The King") and great tension as the game was slipping away, and it slipped further moments later when Rohan Kanhai was out - anyone who looks at the scorecard will see that my new mate hit the jackpot and that Sobers batted for the rest of the day with David Holford and was well past his century by the close

Despite seeing a Sobers century the abiding memory for the bloke was the crowd and their attitude to their "King" - total reverence and unswerving loyalty and on those occasions when Sobers turned to them with an acknowledgment they went into an absolute frenzy. Lucky bastard went back the next day too and saw Sobers bat on and then England save the game courtesy of a famous century from Ollie Milburn - Hall and Griffith made some early inroads, but the West Indies fans, whilst celebrating their deeds in typically noisy fashion, treated them as mere mortals, unlike their King, who was still treated in the same way as the previous day whenever he went near the ball

So my question is, was Sachin treated in the same way?

kingkallis

International Coach
You nailed it Harsh. I found more than 70% cricket followers to be idiots and knew nothing about the game. When you ask them a question about the sports they'll say - Oh I just want us to win the game and thats why I follow it. WTF? They know nothing about other legends.

But yes, love for Sachin is just unbelievable! People would go crazy over it. I was there in his last game and people around me were crying and sobbing and what not?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Hell yeah, minus the knowledgeable and good-natured bit.
Nah, Indian fans can be both knowledgeable and good natured, they just choose not to show it often enough lol.

Anyways yeah love for Sachin most people have is something else. There are people who don't like cricket but they love Sachin, very few other personalities can transcendent beyond what they are known for.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
THIS THREAD IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A COMPARISON OF THEIR CRICKETING ABILITIES

Last week I got chatting to a mate of a mate and dicovered that we had a love of cricket in common. Eventually the conversation got round to the subject of the first Test we ever went to - he was a few years older than me and his was the Lord's Test against West Indies in 1966. West Indies had won the first Test and he went up on the Monday, the fourth day - England had their noses in front, but not by a huge distance - cricinfo confirms that England had a first innings lead of 86 and the WIndies were 18-1

He was in that part of the ground where all the West Indies supporters were, and these were the days when a whole lot of them would turn up at the Tests and turn their part of the ground into a calypso party. He said they were incredibly knowledgeable and good natured, even though they lost a couple of quick wickets and then a fourth at 91 when Seymour Nurse went. That brought Sobers to the crease and he said the change in the crowd was unbelievable - absolute adulation for the great man (to a man they referred to him simply as "The King") and great tension as the game was slipping away, and it slipped further moments later when Rohan Kanhai was out - anyone who looks at the scorecard will see that my new mate hit the jackpot and that Sobers batted for the rest of the day with David Holford and was well past his century by the close

Despite seeing a Sobers century the abiding memory for the bloke was the crowd and their attitude to their "King" - total reverence and unswerving loyalty and on those occasions when Sobers turned to them with an acknowledgment they went into an absolute frenzy. Lucky bastard went back the next day too and saw Sobers bat on and then England save the game courtesy of a famous century from Ollie Milburn - Hall and Griffith made some early inroads, but the West Indies fans, whilst celebrating their deeds in typically noisy fashion, treated them as mere mortals, unlike their King, who was still treated in the same way as the previous day whenever he went near the ball

So my question is, was Sachin treated in the same way?
oh yes, I can tell that without even being Indian (having lived abroad i know a fair few though). The level of adulation for Tendulkar is at another level.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Ohh yeah! As everybody says India is so diverse and Sachin is probably one of a very few who get that sort of adulation all over the country. Still remember the IPL inauguration in Bangalore and the roar when Sachin came up to sign some spirit of cricket thing was just unbelievable dwarfing anything the others got including the home player Dravid. And as he mentioned in his final speech, the Sachin..Sachin..chants define my cricket matching experience.

indiaholic

International Captain
He was easily the most popular man in the country. Nobody came close when it came to universal adulation, and this is in a country that builds temples to it's movie stars.

And people built up this weird fascination for him that transcended the sport. My mum never followed cricket but you could damned well be sure that she would be watching the game if it was Tendulkar batting during an ODI.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Who would be the most adulated players throughout history?

Sobers
Sachin
Viv
Miller
Bradman
Imran
WG
Trumper

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That quote about WG being the most recognisable figure in the British Empire is pretty remarkable I reckon.

watson

Banned
As a percentage of all contemporary cricket fans, I reckon that WG and Trumper are probably the most adulated in cricketing history.

I also think that Sober's appeal is more cross-cultural than Tendulkar's whose adoration remains largely within his home country. Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Tendulkar bat, but there is something extra special about the thought of Garry Sobers batting at the SCG.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Oh yes, if there of all things Tendulkar has accomplished in his career, adulation is right at the very top. The crowd keeps chanting 'Sachiiin, Sachiiin' when he went out to bat. Just before he batted, there was an expectation. You could almost feel people not be as sad if the second wicket fell as Tendulkar came out next. As soon as he was out, there was complete hush at a ground, as if some ill omen has just occurred. The real adulation could be felt when he was fielding. People would just cheer as soon as he touched the ball, even as a fielder. Wherever he would stand, the crowd would be constantly cheering him, waiting for him to raise a hand in acknowledgement. As soon as he did, which he did a few times, there were further cheers in the crowd. Kapil had a bit of adulation at the end of his career, Kohli has a bit now. Nothing touches that mark as SRT for Indian fans.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
There is actually an embarrassingly bad Sachin anthem out there. Would link it here but it is seriously super bad.

Kirkut

International Regular
As a percentage of all contemporary cricket fans, I reckon that WG and Trumper are probably the most adulated in cricketing history.

I also think that Sober's appeal is more cross-cultural than Tendulkar's whose adoration remains largely within his home country. Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Tendulkar bat, but there is something extra special about the thought of Garry Sobers batting at the SCG.
I believe it's a cultural thing when it comes to the appeal factor. The culture of West Indies shares similarities with that of England and Spain, hence the appeal factor of West Indian cricketers is larger in commonwealth nations than in the subcontinent.

Don't get surprised if Shahid Afridi gets more cheers in India than Brian Lara, again it's not that people are unaware of Lara being a titan, it's more of a cultural thing.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I believe it's a cultural thing when it comes to the appeal factor. The culture of West Indies shares similarities with that of England and Spain, hence the appeal factor of West Indian cricketers is larger in commonwealth nations than in the subcontinent.

Don't get surprised if Shahid Afridi gets more cheers in India than Brian Lara, again it's not that people are unaware of Lara being a titan, it's more of a cultural thing.
I don't think Lara vs Afridi is a good example. Lara clearly far more loved in India. I also don't think reception of cricketers in India has much to do with cricketers' nationality or culture. Until recently before the India-Australia rivalry emerged (at least in minds of Indian fans), Indians would have received all non-Indian cricketers based purely on merit (Indian cricketers of course received extra adulation). Warne for example is much much loved in India.

Last edited: