• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Garry v Sachin

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar transcends the sport of cricket, Kiwis who know nothing about the game know who he is. One of those rare figures like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods or Jonah Lomu who just entirely become part of pop culture.

Was Sobers treated the same way at the time? What it means to be 'celebrity' has changed a great deal since his time. I struggle to think of a lot of names that come to mind from the pre-90s era, Pele, Babe Ruth, Ali, Bradman.
I liked the post. But I have to admit I had no idea who Jonah Lomu is / was. :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Can't agree with Contra at all. Regardless of the fact that Lara didn't tour India much, and wasn't as good against India, he was immensely popular in India. Sanath may have destroyed us plenty but he was hardly as adored as Lara and Waugh were. For a long time in the 90s, Sachin Lara and Waugh were seen as the 3 best in the world and their popularity here reflected that pretty accurately.
I agree with the Lara part. But I doubt how popular Waugh would be here if he didn't get involved in all the charity work in India.

indiaholic

International Captain
Just don't get the people who think Tendulkar will be forgotten because he didn't have 'the game'. Seriously? His batting was absolutely gorgeous.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Sometimes it seems that it's quite 'hipster'-esque to denounce Tendulkar's batting and rate players like Chappell and Kallis better. Tendulkar will be remembered as perhaps one of the greatest of all time, even after 80 years.

I understand that many non-Indians are tired of the Sachin-mania most Indians have, but it shouldn't take away the fact that he was probably the best batsman after Bradman.

smash84

The Tiger King
Is Imran a better PM material than Nawaz Sharif?
Nawaz Sharif is a pretty low bar to set tbf. So yeah Imran is definitely better than him.

If Imran of '92 stood against Nawaz Sharif/Benazir Bhutto, would he have become PM?
Under a free and fair election (or let's say with conditions that you would expect in a country with proper rule of law) for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsfveVjtt_M

and i think this is the documentary where Nawaz Sharif is asking Imran to join his party. Haha, old times

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Imran is ranked 3 in ATG allrounders, behind Sachin who is #1 and then Sobers a distant second.