• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biased Crowds

Kent

State 12th Man
Do you think the bias of crowds is an example of cricket proving itself as a professional sport, or is it just a lack of class?

I often find the numbers of "handcuffed" spectators, particularly when home sides are in the field, to be frankly embarrassing. If I'm at the ground I feel like heading home to enjoy the better view on TV, the atmosphere can feel so gormless.

Luckily my home ground for tests is the Basin which is pretty good by modern standards, but still lags behind English crowds, who seem to lead the world. I'm mostly basing this on TV coverage of internationals and trying to disregard ex-pats, so feel free to challenge that if you like.

England can probably claim to be the world's #1 cricket-loving nation if it's true, seeing they make a point of celebrating the actual skills of the game as well as a patriotic favouritism. Others would argue England should've started being unappreciative of foreigners' cricket a long time ago, and a welcoming environment to tour does their national side no favours.

I doubt this will be a flammable topic, but I'd be interested to know what other fans think. Are there certain teams or players that make you put on handcuffs, or is it all opposition for you?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeah English crowds are immaculate, i found a number of times at Somerset, so annoyed they were, that they clapped more for the opposition lol...

I generally acknowledge any non Somerset/SA runs and wickets with a volly of abuse and expletives...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
halsey said:
I curse other team's runs, most certainly. :)
Naughty apostrophe. Other side of s :P

As for swearing, don't stand next to me during a City game if you're of a tender disposition.

English crowds are usually too plastered to notice.. ;)

Kent

State 12th Man
I remember applauding a great shot by Dravid in Hamilton once, only to be met with "who are you, some f***ing n**gi-lover or something?"

Ever since I've pretty much seen myself as just a cricket fan, similar to a jazz fan or a seafood fan. I still enjoy following the NZ side and everything, but liking cricketers based on the lines of a map has become increasingly less relevant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Eden Gardens ahs a bad reputation of having biased crowds but from experience I can say thats not true.

We appreciate the opposition but most of the poeple get flustered when they see India not performing as they can potentially. The crowds at Eden are very knowledgeable and not biased.

In 1996, people were wrong to throw bottles when Azhar looked like throwing his wicket away which was pretty wrong on the part of Eden crowd.

When Pakistan toured India, I coudlnt go to see the test match where people again created trouble due to exams. But from the accounts I hear from many people on the ground, some Pakistani players were abusing at the crowd which sparked trouble.

People forget just a year after 1996, India was crushed by South Africa in a test by the hugest margin of defeat India has ever faced. Yet no crowd trouble happened.

In the 1960s too Sobers speaks of crowd trouble in the Eden when they burnt down stadium. I would say the crowd is very passionate and sporting. They have just gone over the top some times and that doesnt reflect biased behaviour.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Aussie crowds are worse :P , but out here its all just part of the experience & if you dont wanna put up with it then buy tickets for the non drinking section :D

nibbs

International Captain
Whats wrong with being biased? I mean if no was bias we wouldn't give a hoot if our teams win or lose. I reckon bias, along with some hatred, can really help set the atmosphere. I mean in English soccer for instance, the north London Derby would be just another game,but because the fans didn't hate each other it becomes a spectucal each season, even if Arsenal always win. They make it what it is. If I myself and my fellow kiwis didn't hate Australia so much, what would be the point of our trans-tasman rivalry????

FRAZ

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Eden Gardens ahs a bad reputation of having biased crowds but from experience I can say thats not true.

When Pakistan toured India, I coudlnt go to see the test match where people again created trouble due to exams. But from the accounts I hear from many people on the ground, some Pakistani players were abusing at the crowd which sparked trouble.

What are you talking about Pratyush . I dont believe its you who is writing this . Pakistani players how come had time to turn around and finger banging the crowed rather than concentrating upon the game . I guess One single Pakistani fielder who would have been disturbed by the abusing of the crowd would have said Shut up and thats it .. I really cant believe that this is you Partyush who is giving this statement ...The Indian crowed has a habbit of doing such stupid things and just dont hide the emberrasment by saying some thing nonsense... Just admitt that Indian crowed is mannerless to the opposing teams.......Thats it .

Kent

State 12th Man
nibblet said:
Whats wrong with being biased? I mean if no was bias we wouldn't give a hoot if our teams win or lose. I reckon bias, along with some hatred, can really help set the atmosphere. I mean in English soccer for instance, the north London Derby would be just another game,but because the fans didn't hate each other it becomes a spectucal each season, even if Arsenal always win. They make it what it is. If I myself and my fellow kiwis didn't hate Australia so much, what would be the point of our trans-tasman rivalry????
There's no problem with bias or rivalry. But hatred? Geez, life without the Aussies next door would suck if you ask me. Just from a sport fan's perspective...no NRL, no Super 12, no F1, no Channel 9 cricket, no Grand Slam tennis in summer evenings...just a whole lot more ocean to make NZers feel even more insecure and out of the loop.

I don't know, maybe I'm a little strange in just enjoying slip catches and cover drives and stuff like that. I admit there's a lot of other sports I wouldn't care less about if I couldn't find a reason to take sides and get the emotions going.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Kent said:
I don't know, maybe I'm a little strange in just enjoying slip catches and cover drives and stuff like that. I admit there's a lot of other sports I wouldn't care less about if I couldn't find a reason to take sides and get the emotions going.
Perfectly normal.. well... I'm the same, dunno whether I'm normal... ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FRAZ said:
What are you talking about Pratyush . I dont believe its you who is writing this . Pakistani players how come had time to turn around and finger banging the crowed rather than concentrating upon the game . I guess One single Pakistani fielder who would have been disturbed by the abusing of the crowd would have said Shut up and thats it .. I really cant believe that this is you Partyush who is giving this statement ...The Indian crowed has a habbit of doing such stupid things and just dont hide the emberrasment by saying some thing nonsense... Just admitt that Indian crowed is mannerless to the opposing teams.......Thats it .
It was said a few players jeered on the crowd after taking a few wickets which sparked off trouble.

Indian crowds arent mannerless to the opposition. If you go to see any match in India, they appreciate opposition players/shots. A lot of people though, get incensed with their own team and tha s unsporting but not biased against the opposition.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
its funny that when teams play pakistan in england then it seems like they're playing in lahore. theres so many of them!

nibbs

International Captain
If fans showed no bias at all, a game between Pakistan and India would just be another game.

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:

We appreciate the opposition but most of the poeple get flustered when they see India not performing as they can potentially. The crowds at Eden are very knowledgeable and not biased.

In 1996, people were wrong to throw bottles when Azhar looked like throwing his wicket away which was pretty wrong on the part of Eden crowd.

People forget just a year after 1996, India was crushed by South Africa in a test by the hugest margin of defeat India has ever faced. Yet no crowd trouble happened.

In the 1960s too Sobers speaks of crowd trouble in the Eden when they burnt down stadium. I would say the crowd is very passionate and sporting. They have just gone over the top some times and that doesnt reflect biased behaviour.
i also remember that the india fans called Inzamam a fat potato in panjabi