• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The landscape is changing in World Cricket

cnerd123

likes this
FWIW I defo feel the difference between the bats I had from the 90s and the new ones I see now. New bats are big and light.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
FWIW I just hate it when people say they're lighter. Even if they feel lighter, they're not lighter!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FWIW I just hate it when people say they're lighter. Even if they feel lighter, they're not lighter!
In general they are for the same "amount" of timber.

My Kookaburra "big kahuna" bat from the early 2000s had an inch-thick sweet spot but weighed something like 3lb 2oz, my current SS bat has a thicker sweet spot, is thicker overall (and otherwise has the same dimensions) yet it less than 3lb in weight. 2lb 10oz, I think.

I'm sure it'd make a big difference if I batted longer than 3 or 4 balls these days.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think anyone has said anything at all controversial.
If you compare a modern day bat with a classic one then:
If you want the same size then the modern one will weigh less
If you want the same weight then the modern one will likely be bigger and feelsignificantly lighter.

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
It would just be morbid. It's just a fun game. People don't want to be reminded of someone's premature death everytime they load up stickcricket at lunch at school or in the office.
That is where you are wrong mate. It wouldn't be morbid at all it would be a beautiful tribute to a young man who was battling valiantly at his chosen profession.

We have Remembrance Day every year remembering the soldiers that have died fighting for their nation, people wear poppies no one calls that morbid but it's seen as a celebration and a time to reflect.

Surely Stick Cricket putting up PH 63* on the adjacent strip in the game would be an equally reflective and touching gesture, not morbid at all IMO.

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Had there been any swing Dhoni would have nicked it to 3rd slip
It's funny, as I was writing that yesterday I thought there may have been a Dhoni comeback. Tbf he played the swing well in England, early impact point as Nasser said, really got me going, rewriting the coaching manual!