• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The landscape is changing in World Cricket

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
One rather suspects Hughes himself would call the idea bull**** were it somehow communicated to him tbh.

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
You are dedicating an entire game that has been around for more than a decade to the death of one player.

Phil Hughes' death was a tragedy but seriously this is a god awful idea.
We will have to let this go I guess.

I feel it was a pivotal disturbing moment for cricket, not just like Bob Woolmer having a heart attack or something.

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
One rather suspects Hughes himself would call the idea bull**** were it somehow communicated to him tbh.
Well I can't imagine someone saying "please make a fuss for me." We would have probably done away with most the things concerning Hughes if he was somehow consulted. It was a life changing moment for the game we love.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Be that as it may, your attempts to fetishise the whole thing are disconcerting as much they are illogical.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
it does feel slightly demeaning watching a agricultural mistimed hack which has no right to be anything other than out somehow drift 60m for six.
Yeah, this is the biggest annoyance of modern cricket for me, when you see a batsman completely and utterly beaten in the air by a spinner yet they still manage to somehow shovel it for six.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
I think that them being pressed lighter means they have more spring and the ball pings off the bat better.

I don't believe that they feel all that much lighter because I don't think the center of gravity has changed.
Disagree.

Bats these days have an extraordinary pickup. I have an old Woodworm Torch (circa KP 05) and its got decent profile, thick edges and at the time a nice pickup. Fast forward to today, that bat is seen as a log, not because of it size, but because of the pickup relative to the size. Also, there is huge difference between what the pro's use vs your retail bat. I have had the chance to pick up various pro bats over the years and whats strikes you immediately is the size of the bat, but when you pick it up it feels like a toothpick.

They most certainly "feel" a whole lot lighter.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
How can you call the Hughes thing minor! Cricketing history may be vast but when was the last time an international batsman, rising young star, domestic run machine killed by a bouncer? Killed during the game of cricket by a cricketing delivery is a rare event, also in a helmet wearing era.

I think it would be a lovely gesture on stick cricket or any online games and easy to incorporate. Considering we get useless one minute silences in games over an old player dying of natural causes, I think this is MUCH bigger. You hear of footballers having abnormal heart rhythm on the pitch and dying, again not as big.

I may not agree with Warner on many things but kudos to the Australians for ensuring his spirit leaves on.
When Warner did it it was a very personal gesture and that too has been done more or less in the wake of the incident (and the place where it occurred too, mind), hence it was seen as a touching thing to do. The idea to have an over-the-top tribute for Hughes in a computer game is one of the most ridiculous ideas I've ever heard.

indiaholic

International Captain
The stick cricket tribute ideas are so so awesome!! And more than one person wants to see it happen! Wow!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it can make it really dull at times, tbh, exceptional exhibitions of genuine skill and hitting ability like abdv's hour of fun the other day aside. it does feel slightly demeaning watching a agricultural mistimed hack which has no right to be anything other than out somehow drift 60m for six. the risk-reward calculations are just all out of whack, and it makes something that should be inherently daring and exciting feel, well, passé.
God I got so much **** on here when Afridi sliced Ashwin for 2 mistimed sixes in the asia cup.

There just has to be something to make the risk-reward thing more balanced. Just ban sixes imo.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that them being pressed lighter means they have more spring and the ball pings off the bat better.

I don't believe that they feel all that much lighter because I don't think the center of gravity has changed.
Have you ever actually held them to compare? Don't know why I'm asking as from your posting it's obvious you haven't

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just stop bringing the stupid boundary ropes in.

Bat technology cant be reversed but stop making it easier atleast.