• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The landscape is changing in World Cricket

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Having played in the 90s I can easily say the modern bats are much better and while they are heavier when you are carrying them, in terms of pick up and batswing they feel the same as a normal bat, which is due to how they distribute the weight and all the other technical jazz I can't bother remembering.. But when you bat with them, while they feel heavier when in stance, when you are actually playing your shot it actually feels pretty much the same as a regular weight bat... That is an amazing advantage as a batsman.. I remember I always went for the lighter bats back when I played for my school but our opener was a strong lad and he would go for a much heavier bat.. I would never use it as I could never play my backfoot shots as comfortably with it.. But with the new bats which I was trying last year (coaching a junior team near my home), I could see easily that the heaviest bat was still ok for me as while u felt the full weight in stance when you had to pick it up and play (the backlift and follow through etc) it didn't feel much heavier than the regular ones at all... The technology has improved to amazing levels..

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Johnson may not be the best example, he's capable of batting properly. Definitely seen him miss hit sixes though.

I'm reminded of Darren Gough as a batter, who looked great on his day, but would usually get caught in the infield before long. His average of 15 or whatever could be 25 today easily.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wouldn't say Johnson's recent half century have that much slogging or hail Mary shots really.

Look at the amount of pulls and drags to the onside he mistimed and they fell where the fielder was not present... I didn't mean slog hail mary but most of his cross batted heaves were a lot closer to hail mary batswings than any calculated strokeplay, esp. against Ishant..

EDIT: Just mean to say most of those strokes will not have cleared the inner circle and taken much fainter edges had he been playing with a 90s bat... They travel a lot further now even when you do not time them well...

Last edited:

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just a thought, like how stick cricket have done away with the bouncer as a form of dismal on their game, now that mortality has crept into our sport, maybe it would be fitting if players on the game were automatically retired on reaching 63, it certainly is food for thought.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just a thought, like how stick cricket have done away with the bouncer as a form of dismal on their game, now that mortality has crept into our sport, maybe it would be fitting if players on the game were automatically retired on reaching 63, it certainly is food for thought.
No it isn't

Debris

International 12th Man
Mitchell Johnson too

Dale Steyn isn't one though because he makes you fall in love with him over and over again as he wrecks your hopes and dreams.

So he's a bit like a toxic relationship I guess?
The fact that you are falling in love with Dale Steyn over and over is a bit disturbing. I will never look at your posts in quite the same way henceforth.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
This is ridiculous. That stick batsman going down was hilarious. Sorry for Hughes and all, but c'mon.

Maybe they should have a couple of angels hovering above the batsman carrying a R.I.P. banner between them.

Dhoni_183*

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I do play this game now and then. To be honest a nice gesture they could do is have an adjacent strip next to the main pitch on stick cricket. On this adjacent pitch they should write PJ 63*. Don't forget the actual pitch where Phil Hughes was felled has been moved next to the main pitch I think.

This is what David Warner kissed when he got to 63 against India. I was particular moved by this.

hqdefault.jpg

Bleed_Blue

School Boy/Girl Captain
I do play this game now and then. To be honest a nice gesture they could do is have an adjacent strip next to the main pitch on stick cricket. On this adjacent pitch they should write PJ 63*. Don't forget the actual pitch where Phil Hughes was felled has been moved next to the main pitch I think.

This is what David Warner kissed when he got to 63 against India. I was particular moved by this.

View attachment 21737
Wonderful point this, it would be great to see Stick Cricket introduce this to the game, it wouldn't interfere with the players performance and yet lays out a perfect and fitting tribute. Stick batsmen around the world would be able to focus on the job in hand while also paying their respects.

cnerd123

likes this
WTF no, it's a horrible idea.

The history of cricket is so deep and vast, the death of Phil Hughes in comparison is a relatively minor incident. It does not need to be forever immortalised in Stick Cricket.

Removing the bouncer death is a sensible thing to do since that is a pretty sensitive issue at the moment. Any more is sheer overreaction.

Dhoni_183*

WTF no, it's a horrible idea.

The history of cricket is so deep and vast, the death of Phil Hughes in comparison is a relatively minor incident. It does not need to be forever immortalised in Stick Cricket.

Removing the bouncer death is a sensible thing to do since that is a pretty sensitive issue at the moment. Any more is sheer overreaction.
How can you call the Hughes thing minor! Cricketing history may be vast but when was the last time an international batsman, rising young star, domestic run machine killed by a bouncer? Killed during the game of cricket by a cricketing delivery is a rare event, also in a helmet wearing era.

I think it would be a lovely gesture on stick cricket or any online games and easy to incorporate. Considering we get useless one minute silences in games over an old player dying of natural causes, I think this is MUCH bigger. You hear of footballers having abnormal heart rhythm on the pitch and dying, again not as big.

I may not agree with Warner on many things but kudos to the Australians for ensuring his spirit leaves on.

Last edited:

Dhoni_183*

Wonderful point this, it would be great to see Stick Cricket introduce this to the game, it wouldn't interfere with the players performance and yet lays out a perfect and fitting tribute. Stick batsmen around the world would be able to focus on the job in hand while also paying their respects.

Agree. In fact I hope someone contacts the game makers, cricket boards to make this a possibility.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It would just be morbid. It's just a fun game. People don't want to be reminded of someone's premature death everytime they load up stickcricket at lunch at school or in the office.

Dhoni_183*

It would just be morbid. It's just a fun game. People don't want to be reminded of someone's premature death everytime they load up stickcricket at lunch at school or in the office.
There is enough morbid stuff on the news which kids see daily. This would be a celebration of someone's life, passed away doing what he loved and in some ways he has been immortalised and rightly so. It actually brought the cricketing world together, I doubt it would have a negative impact on the kids. It would also be something small on the side of the game, not that life changing imo.

cnerd123

likes this
You are dedicating an entire game that has been around for more than a decade to the death of one player.

Phil Hughes' death was a tragedy but seriously this is a god awful idea.