Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: The landscape is changing in World Cricket

I think Sky did a few tests last year comparing bats from different eras and the difference between the old bats and the new bats if the ball wasn't middled really was vast.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

those nights were on fire
    we couldn't get higher
    we didn't know that we had it all
    but no one warns you before the fall

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    I think bat technology is somewhat overrated.
    It's false to say that mis-hits never cleared mid on. There were plenty of players back in the day who's mis-hits have gone for six.

I think smaller boundaries is more of a culprit, but it's also likely that players have just gotten better at slogging - more exposure to limited overs cricket, as well as team practice where the goal is to hit the thing as far as you can.
    Smaller boundaries certainly play a role. And certain players previously had mis hits go for 6 but they had to wield a piece of wood like a railway sleeper. Modern bats are fat but pick up light. You dont have to be G. Pollock anymore to mash the ball.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Smaller boundaries certainly play a role. And certain players previously had mis hits go for 6 but they had to wield a piece of wood like a railway sleeper. Modern bats are fat but pick up light. You dont have to be G. Pollock anymore to mash the ball.
    Modern bats are actually heavier.

Modern bats are actually heavier.
    You miss my point. Modern bats can be heavy but they pick up light. Big powerful men like Clive Lloyd and Graeme Pollock used bats over 3lbs in weight (heavier than used now) and they felt like it as well. With modern contouring, weight distribution and 'bat technology', players today can pick up and use bats of a weight that previously only the strongest men could wield.

Bat technology = contouring and weight distribution.

Yes it can make it feel a little more ergonomical but it's still a bat held in a handle of the same mass.

Bat technology = contouring and weight distribution.

Yes it can make it feel a little more ergonomical but it's still a bat held in a handle of the same mass.
    Oversimplification as things like how the bat is pressed is 'bat technology.'

As for being the same mass. That may be true but it doesnt feel that way at all. It has made huge changes. Thousands of examples illustrated online (below are a couple I quickly pulled) or you could just hold the bats yourself. Im a big guy but always batted with something light as I didnt like the short stuff and wanted something I could get to head height quickly. I can do the same now with a 2lb10oz bat what I could with a 2lb6 or 7 oz before and when I hit it it stays hit.

YOU only need look at modern bats to know they're bigger. Gone are the two-pound, six-ounce toothpicks used by many great players of yesteryear, replaced instead by 2lb 10oz (1.19kg) of unbridled wooden fury with huge edges and power zones.

The amazing thing, though, is the bats still feel as if they weigh the same as their kindling cousins.

or

The weight of Ponsford’s bats, once considered exceptional, are now considered on the light side of average. By pressing the timber less, bats can be made much heavier whilst still retaining a light feel and pickup.

I think that them being pressed lighter means they have more spring and the ball pings off the bat better.

I don't believe that they feel all that much lighter because I don't think the center of gravity has changed.

I think bat technology is somewhat overrated.
    It's false to say that mis-hits never cleared mid on. There were plenty of players back in the day who's mis-hits have gone for six.

I think smaller boundaries is more of a culprit, but it's also likely that players have just gotten better at slogging - more exposure to limited overs cricket, as well as team practice where the goal is to hit the thing as far as you can.
    Nah, leading edges have middles now, with the edges being so thick.
    Jono and Prince EWS like this.

I think that them being pressed lighter means they have more spring and the ball pings off the bat better.

I don't believe that they feel all that much lighter because I don't think the center of gravity has changed.
    Madness.

Request Your Custom Title Now! honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Johnson isn't a slogger. High quality genuine lower order bat when he gets in. Shami, yeah, Anderson's more of a blocker though.
    You are missing the point.. Those knocks had an extraordinary number of slogs or hailmary shots that were mistimed for 4s or fell well away from the fielders in the ring.. This is not a knock on their respective batting abilities but a comment on their most recent "saving" partnerships where they all got away with very bad shots just because of how good the bats were, IMO..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Having played in the 90s I can easily say the modern bats are much better and while they are heavier when you are carrying them, in terms of pick up and batswing they feel the same as a normal bat, which is due to how they distribute the weight and all the other technical jazz I can't bother remembering.. But when you bat with them, while they feel heavier when in stance, when you are actually playing your shot it actually feels pretty much the same as a regular weight bat... That is an amazing advantage as a batsman.. I remember I always went for the lighter bats back when I played for my school but our opener was a strong lad and he would go for a much heavier bat.. I would never use it as I could never play my backfoot shots as comfortably with it.. But with the new bats which I was trying last year (coaching a junior team near my home), I could see easily that the heaviest bat was still ok for me as while u felt the full weight in stance when you had to pick it up and play (the backlift and follow through etc) it didn't feel much heavier than the regular ones at all... The technology has improved to amazing levels..

International Debutant
    I wouldn't say Johnson's recent half century have that much slogging or hail Mary shots really.

International Vice-Captain NasserFan207's Avatar
    Johnson may not be the best example, he's capable of batting properly. Definitely seen him miss hit sixes though.

I'm reminded of Darren Gough as a batter, who looked great on his day, but would usually get caught in the infield before long. His average of 15 or whatever could be 25 today easily.
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

No it couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Antihippy View Post
    I wouldn't say Johnson's recent half century have that much slogging or hail Mary shots really.

Look at the amount of pulls and drags to the onside he mistimed and they fell where the fielder was not present... I didn't mean slog hail mary but most of his cross batted heaves were a lot closer to hail mary batswings than any calculated strokeplay, esp. against Ishant..

EDIT: Just mean to say most of those strokes will not have cleared the inner circle and taken much fainter edges had he been playing with a 90s bat... They travel a lot further now even when you do not time them well...
    Last edited by honestbharani; 23-01-2015 at 03:47 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information