• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gavaskar or Tendulkar?

Deja moo

International Captain
better batsman for India?

Gavaskar or Tendulkar?

I feel that if Gavaskar had been playing tests nowadays, his average would have been 60+......the attacks of recent times are not a patch on the quicks Gavaskar faced in the 70's and 80's....

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Sachin Tendulkar.

The way Tendulkar plays his cricket is great. He is an attacking batsman who also is a huge run accumulator. His talent is unbelevable in both tests & ODI's and he is one of the best batsmen ever to play the game.

Gavaskar was a good test player but he was not a great ODI player at all, he was too defensive.

Tendulkar holds the record for the leading run scorer in ODI's with 12878 runs@ 45.34 and he is the 4th highest run scorer in Tests with 9265@ 57.19. These figures are hard to ignore.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar for a few reasons -

His test average is much higher
He is a much better one day player

Regarding Gavaskar having a higher average today, I would have liked to see how he would have coped with the strenous international calendar we have today. Even if averages are a bit increased for every player, they do have a much tougher international schedule to contend with.

Tendulkar may well end up with an average of over 60 considering he averaged 53 2-3 years ago and is averaging close to 58 right now. Thats a huge difference from Gavaskar.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Having never seen much of Gavaskar play :( i will have to say Sachin.

As mentioned before, he is 1st in terms of runs in ODI's and 4th in Tests. I find it hard to find a cricketing reason (excluding injury etc.) why he won't be number 1 in both forms of the game. Lara has more or less the same amount of test runs but Sachin is likely to play longer.

Sachin is considered not to score enough 'BIG' hundreds but to still have an average of 50+ is remarkable.

Just imagine the indian line-up with Gavaskar in there instead of A. Chopra :D

It's a shame that every time Sachin fails critics have to get on his back, even though he has proved them wrong every single time.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just imagine the indian line-up with Gavaskar in there instead of A. Chopra
BTW this comment is not because I don't appreciate or rate Chopra, I think he has been brilliant for India so far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Tendulkar may well end up with an average of over 60 considering he averaged 53 2-3 years ago
Actually it was about 5 years since he averaged that "low" !

For Gavaskar you have to consider his record against by far the strongest bowling attack of his time - the Windies:

27 Tests - 2749 runs @ 65.45 - 13 tons in 48 knocks!

iamdavid

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Actually it was about 5 years since he averaged that "low" !

For Gavaskar you have to consider his record against by far the strongest bowling attack of his time - the Windies:

27 Tests - 2749 runs @ 65.45 - 13 tons in 48 knocks!
Cricinfo did a statfact a little while back on the fact that just coincedentally almost every time Gavaskar faced the Windies they were missing they're frontline quick bowlers.

They were still much better than some of the rubbish Tendulkar feasts on today , but not as fearsome as their countrymen.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
iamdavid said:
Cricinfo did a statfact a little while back on the fact that just coincedentally almost every time Gavaskar faced the Windies they were missing they're frontline quick bowlers.

They were still much better than some of the rubbish Tendulkar feasts on today , but not as fearsome as their countrymen.
I had noticed the same stats thingy. Gavaskar had a pretty bad record against the awesome Windies foursome pace attack much like every one. Just that he didnt always face them and so he averages better against the Windies.

Rich2001

International Captain
I'll take Rohan Gavaskar any day, his held the side togeter in Tendys absent, inculding a fine 50 ;) :D... I however asume your talking about his father though and I iam another who would take S.Tendulkar for pretty much the same reasons as mentioned above.

Token

School Boy/Girl Captain
Rich2001 said:
I'll take Rohan Gavaskar any day, his held the side togeter in Tendys absent, inculding a fine 50 ;) :D... I however asume your talking about his father though and I iam another who would take S.Tendulkar for pretty much the same reasons as mentioned above.
Wicket first over just like his daddy...50 in 4th match, just like his daddy...co-inkidink or fate?

Deja moo

International Captain
Now all we have to do is wait 15 years so that I can then post a thread as to who was better?....rohan Gavaskar or Arjun Tendulkar!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
West Indies' was not the only pace attack of the '70s that was fantastic.
IMO it's carrots and peas \ chalk and cheese \ apples and oranges. Gavaskar was an opener. Tendulkar is a middle-order player.
Both were brilliant players.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Gavaskar was an opener. Tendulkar is a middle-order player.
Both were brilliant players.
Well Tendulkar does open in ODI's and he is a much better ODI player than Gavaskar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True without a doubt (I still think India are better served with Tendulkar at four).
But as far as Tests are concerned any comparison is difficult. I think Tendulkar is probably slightly the better player, as both faced awesome attacks (Tendulkar did, honestly, for the first 10 years of his career) and averaged in the 50s.
Tendulkar averaged over 55, Gavaskar 51(?). Therefore I'd say Tendulkar is a bit better, but without doubt Gavaskar was a fantastic player too.