• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Short Good Fast Bowlers

Kirkut

International Regular
There was one skinny short Indian bowler in the 1950s, who was not necessarily fast but had a lethal skiddy bouncer.

Keep forgetting his name, he was 5 feet 4 inches and a Maharashtrian I guess.

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
Yeah I saw Gilchrist was listed at 1.87 which is effectively 6'2 and I don't buy that for a second ...I reckon he's just over 6 foot at very the most ..and Damien Fleming pictured there (& actually relevant to thread) I'd guess would be 5'11
Gilchrist has been said to be above average height for a keeper, and I have always found him to look on the taller side. Why is 6'2" a surprise?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I swear I remember someone telling me that Brett Lee was suspiciously short for a quick bowler at around the 5'11 mark, but apparently he's 6'2.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I swear I remember someone telling me that Brett Lee was suspiciously short for a quick bowler at around the 5'11 mark, but apparently he's 6'2.
It's often pointed out that he has a very low release point, easy to confuse that with height

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's often pointed out that he has a very low release point, easy to confuse that with height
Haha yeah.

Imagine Brett Lee bowling and try to picture his normal standing height.
Now imagine Brett Lee batting and try to picture his normal standing height.

I get two differently-heighted people pictured in my head, and that's because Lee didn't make use of his height at all when he bowled. Made him seem shorter.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gilchrist has been said to be above average height for a keeper, and I have always found him to look on the taller side. Why is 6'2" a surprise?
Because 6 foot is still well above the average height for a keeper. Look at him next to a 5'9/5'10 Ricky Ponting, he doesn't have 5 inches on Punter, looks more like 3 at the most IMO, which I'm guessing would make him between 6 foot & 6'1 (at the very most). I'm guessing Mark Waugh is about 5'11 1/2 (or 6 foot at a stretch) and Gilly has no more than 1 inch on him.

155426-4645a182-67bd-11e3-bdad-d26236de09de.jpg