• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aggers criticises Australia's sledging in light of Phil Hughes death

Spark

Global Moderator
Nor should it. Geez, fancy using someone's death as a crutch to lecture those closest to him.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting that the poll results on that page suggest that the two-thirds of the readers think Australia's sledging went too far.

There were a lot of comments around the time of Hughes' death - by ex-players - that this should be taken as an opportunity to clean up the game with respect to sledging. Clearly Agnew at least has the chutzpah to follow up those comments.

And, irrespective of the Hughes tragedy, some of the antics in the recent Australia/India series were pathetic and need to go. The real disappointment is that such behaviour does rub off on club cricket, and lower level cricket really doesn't need to alienate potential players with such crass stupidity. From my point of view, we need to start seeing some match bans and fines for some of the worst examples - 15% of your match fee isn't any deterrent.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The SMH URL for the link makes it sound like we need to stop sledging Jonathan Agnew:

smh.com.au/sport/cricket/we-owe-it-to-phillip-hughes-to-stop-sledging-jonathan-agnew-20150113-12n6dh.html

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I agree that " the histrionics, the nonsense, the prancing, the in-your-face nastiness, it's not acceptable at all." , but how does that relate to Hughes' death?

viriya

International Captain
Don't care to read the article, but I'm gonna guess that Clarke is not gonna make comments like "get ready for a broken ****ing arm" anymore..

HeathDavisSpeed

Don't care to read the article, but I'm gonna guess that Clarke is not gonna make comments like "get ready for a broken ****ing arm" anymore..
Quite. He'd have to get out on the field first. Even CH9 draw the line at comments like that.

Gnske

Agreed with the part on the sledging, but the title and basis of this can be described with three words, cheap, clickbait, irrelevant. Then some not so savoury words could also describe it.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
if anything from the comments made by the players it was made out they owed it to hughes to keep playing the same way they always had

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nor should it. Geez, fancy using someone's death as a crutch to lecture those closest to him.
Indeed, poor play that.

In fact I thought Agnew's sucking up to the ECB in the light of Pietersen's book was also pretty diabolical as well given he wouldn't have really known the truth either way.

Definitely gone down n my estimations in the last 12 months.

Last edited:

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I do think that there was a lot of sledging by the Aussies in the recent test series, but for the most part it was tit-for-tat with Kohli. It would have been better if both sides had toned it down a bit, but that seems impossible as long has Kohli is playing.

duffer

66% of voters say the sledging wasn't acceptable? Wonder how the results would look on news.com.au?

edit: heh

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually wouldn't rate the sledging/ argy bargy in the recently completed series within the top ten I've seen over the past 20 years or so. Not even close.

Really think a lot more was made of it in the media than needed to be. Kohli and Johnson had a row on field - so what? It was also the series where Johnson badged him then immediately went to make sure he was ok.