• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aggers criticises Australia's sledging in light of Phil Hughes death

Riggins

International Captain
I'd pay plenty for a coverage which was just the stump mic instead of ****wit commentators.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
As far as anyone not out on the pitch is aware, nothing of the sort has been said. It got heated, but IIRC the biggest blow-ups were due to (a) sendoffs and (b) players trying to "umpire"
though say the australian players did say something along those lines, it's hardly the place of those who didn't know him to tell them, hughes' close mates, that what they're saying is tasteless or disrespectful. if we were in their position we may not make the same comments but we aren't and that's why its pretty **** of aggers to lecture them on how they should be honoring the memory of their mate

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, quite. I thought it was a strange comment regarding stump mics when I read it (was a good while back so I was paraphrasing anyway) and I'm not defending him. I'm just saying the "no-one knows" logic, whilst true for all on here, isn't necessarily true as far as Agnew is concerned.
I'm talking about this specific series, though. He sounds like he hasn't watched very much of it live (perfectly understandable given the timezones), let alone knows what was said.

@dermo oh yeah I agreed and I made that point first up, I'm just saying that his example is full of **** too, and we don't even need to go to the assume-for-sake-of-argument stage.

Last edited:

dermo

International Vice-Captain
always been a fan of aggers to which makes it even more of a shame that one of the better commentators around would make such a **** call

Spark

Global Moderator
always been a fan of aggers to which makes it even more of a shame that one of the better commentators around would make such a **** call
Yeah in fairness he's been consistent both time-wise and across teams in his criticisms of sledging. I'm willing to write this off as one (very, very) **** call from him and not hold it too much against him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke, for one, is less forgiving. I strongly suspect that the refused to dignify with a response wording in Brettig's piece on Cricinfo came more or less verbatim from CA which means the hierarchy which means Clarke.

howardj

International Coach
It is by me, I agree wholeheartedly with his thoughts.

Sledging doesn't in any way relate to Phil Hughes' death but there's little point rolling out 'it's only a game' and other musings on life, then carrying on the way a couple of Australian players did.
Yeah, I agree.

I did expect, after the Hughes tragedy, for our guys to play cricket in a slightly more gentlemanly manner - living out the phrase that cricket 'is only a game'.

By that I don't mean no talking out on the field, but I do mean no prolonged verbal battles that drag from Test to Test, and are independent of the events of the match (i.e. I don't mind when a batsman plays and misses, the bowler staring at him or having a word to him...that all relates to the events of the match).

But in this Test series, the verbals were prolonged and had nothing to do with the events of the match, and both teams were also back to over the top send offs which I really think have no place in the game.

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
Adam Hollioke's view:

Hollioake said he thought sledging brought an intensity to cricket and that the Australians weren't as bad as they were portrayed.

"I copped it more than anyone when we played Australia because I was originally from here," he said. "It was so rare, 99 per cent of the time they said nothing and the one time it was - 'so what?'

"I was brought up at school with 'sticks and stones might break my bones but names will never hurt me'. It was nothing.

"I think the difference is in Australia you grow up ribbing one another and it's water off a duck's back. In England it's not the same, it's just different and maybe Australians might need to realise that what you might say to an opponent in state cricket could be taken personally by someone [in an international]. Maybe there is a need to be aware of that but at the end of the day you play the game how you play it.

"In an era where we're dealing with match-fixing, with sides rotating players and resting people which means the strongest team does not play every game and it might not seem do-or-die I think to have a bit of sledging indicates it means something to people."
Adam Hollioake says people will be disappointed by Jonathan Agnew's view on Phillip Hughes