• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aggers criticises Australia's sledging in light of Phil Hughes death

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The fact that none of us know exactly what the sledging was, makes it a bit much to criticize the Aussies for what they said.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Phil hughes didn't die from sledging so why the **** is it even relevant?
I suppose it's cause in the aftermath of his death, some people maybe hoped that the jolt of Hughes' death would maybe lead to calmer behaviour on the field and what not. But that's just idealist dreaming and while I'd love it to become true, there's absolutely no way that Hughes' death leaves an obligation for all to cut down on the sledging.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Agnew is a great broadcaster but his BBC articles are often pretty poor reads IMO. He has some fairly outdated opinions on a lot of things.

Antihippy

International Debutant
I suppose it's cause in the aftermath of his death, some people maybe hoped that the jolt of Hughes' death would maybe lead to calmer behaviour on the field and what not. But that's just idealist dreaming and while I'd love it to become true, there's absolutely no way that Hughes' death leaves an obligation for all to cut down on the sledging.
The way he wrote it is more like emotional straw man in order to push his own morals onto the people who are definitely far more affected by hughe's death than him, as if invoking his death lends his argument weight. Which comes off as super gross to me.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The whole "speech in the back pocket" thing came off as incredibly smug and sanctimonious to me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Was interesting hearing Harris talk about it last night on the radio. Talked about how the Indians tend to prefer to get very close when they have something to say to you, which can make the situations look a lot more "intense" than what they really are.

EDIT: to make it clear, the conversation in full certainly wasn't blaming the Indians at all, he was just touching on some of the differences on how the two teams conducted their "chat" on the field.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i'm pretty sure you just called all indian cricketers close talkers. that's disgraceful behaviour. from the indians .

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I actually wouldn't rate the sledging/ argy bargy in the recently completed series within the top ten I've seen over the past 20 years or so. Not even close.

Really think a lot more was made of it in the media than needed to be. Kohli and Johnson had a row on field - so what? It was also the series where Johnson badged him then immediately went to make sure he was ok.

Actually towards the last test I think they were having fun about all the sledging than any serious abuses being hurled... I have always been against the type of sledging that seems to be championed by the Aussie teams since the time I have started watching cricket but what Aggers is saying now can be applicable to any team.. Like Jarrod Kimber wrote, "sledging and understanding the limits is a very Aussie thing, and u need to have grown up playing there to understand what is ok and what is not ok to be said.. " And given that all teams are equally bad at this sledging now, most of these guys dont even know where to draw the line and that is why it all gets a little too ugly...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Disappointing from Aggers really. Love the bloke, and agree with his general message, but using Hughes' death as a vehicle to get this point across is terribad. Genuinely surprised at him.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Like Jarrod Kimber wrote, "sledging and understanding the limits is a very Aussie thing, and u need to have grown up playing there to understand what is ok and what is not ok to be said.. " And given that all teams are equally bad at this sledging now, most of these guys dont even know where to draw the line and that is why it all gets a little too ugly...
Eh?

Have you paraphrased this, or does Kimber normally write "u" instead of "you".

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
AAaaahhh.... I didn't wanna do this..

I added the quotes quoting an exact sentence and then I added something additional which was not an exact quote but more the gist of what he said and was too lazy to remove the quotes...