• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long does the "Pink Test" have to last?

Spark

Global Moderator
Focussing on one cause being discriminatory to other causes makes absolutely no sense.

Spark

Global Moderator
The logic is silly. Taken to an extreme it implies that you can't care too much about anything ever, because that would be discriminatory somehow.

Charity is not a zero sum game. This Test match has been dedicated to breast cancer simply for its own reasons, that in no way harms or diminishes the role of prostate cancer. Not to mention having a "rotating" focus for a Test match every year would reek of tokenism, and would not have the underlying sense of occasion which only comes from a themed, repeated event.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
As a research biologist it does seem like a huge number of grants go towards breast cancer research.

When it's so targeted in terms of the genes they're studying I sometimes feel as if the greater long term rewards would be more generalized cancer research...I guess processes become applicable though so not too much wrong with targeted research.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The logic is silly. Taken to an extreme it implies that you can't care too much about anything ever, because that would be discriminatory somehow.

Charity is not a zero sum game. This Test match has been dedicated to breast cancer simply for its own reasons, that in no way harms or diminishes the role of prostate cancer. Not to mention having a "rotating" focus for a Test match every year would reek of tokenism, and would not have the underlying sense of occasion which only comes from a themed, repeated event.
That's all good and well if you're taking about the choice of an individual such and you or I (or probably more relevant in this instance), Glenn McGrath, but when you're talking about a number of organisations (channel 9, cricket Aust, SCG) behind one of the bigger sporting events of the Australian calender, with a massive national audience, it's not just one individuals preference. It's effectively Channel 9/SCG sending the message, 'we consider this one to be the most worthwhile of causes out there', because we exclusively back this one every year.

So yes, If I was an executive of 'Prostate Australia' (or whatever that organization is), then I would want to ask questions about the discriminatory nature of their ongoing support for just 'one' cause.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
So basically CA should not give overt public support to any particular cause because it would discriminate against some other cause? I mean, that is essentially what you're saying.

Zinzan

So basically CA should not give overt public support to any particular cause because it would discriminate against some other cause? I mean, that is essentially what you're saying.
Lol, why don't can't you understand the difference between supporting one particular cause once or twice and exclusively supporting the same 'one' cause 7-8 years on the trot (and seemingly ongoing).

I've already stated I didn't have an issue with the first year (or even 2nd), it's the repeated nature of it which has people asking legitimate questions.

Spark

Global Moderator
Lol, why don't can't you understand the difference between supporting one particular cause once or twice and exclusively supporting the same 'one' cause 7-8 years on the trot (and seemingly ongoing).

I've already stated I didn't have an issue with the first year (or even 2nd), it's the repeated nature of it which has people asking legitimate questions.
But the repeated nature of it is what gives it its power and utility, to rotate it would simply look like picking random causes and would, as a net whole, vastly reduce the incoming donations because of the lower profile and the lower sense of occasion surrounding the event. The idea of a "threshold" above which charitable support becomes harmful is one of the weirder ideas I've seen of late.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean, I'm more for equitable and increased awareness for diseases and illnesses which don't receive the same profile. But surely the solution there is to have more events like the Pink Test, rather than cramming them all into one.

Zinzan

But the repeated nature of it is what gives it its power and utility, to rotate it would simply look like picking random causes and would, as a net whole, vastly reduce the incoming donations because of the lower profile and the lower sense of occasion surrounding the event. The idea of a "threshold" above which charitable support becomes harmful is one of the weirder ideas I've seen of late.
Well this is where we disagree. I think it would be wonderful thing if the 'Sydney Test' had a different theme every year supporting a worthwhile Australian charity. Sure there' would still be some discrimination involved (they couldn't cover every one), but at least they'd be seen as supporting a cross-section of causes.

Anyway, I don't think we're going to change each others minds on this.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If I were in charge of Prostrate Australia, I'd probably be counting the cash from Movember every year, which was basically started as a reaction to Breast Cancer Australia's high quality of self promotion.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
While I'm being grumpy, between the pink and ****ing Scotty Cam and the filth music of the Holden ads and the wanker mouthing woohoo to Song 2 on the Toyota ad I feeling bloody nauseous!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the prostate cancer guys have Movember, great cancer has pink footy rounds, leukaemia has the Worlds Greatest Shave, Relay for Life encompasses lots of cancer charities. Should those events rotate too?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Yeah, the prostate cancer guys have Movember, great cancer has pink footy rounds, leukaemia has the Worlds Greatest Shave, Relay for Life encompasses lots of cancer charities. Should those events rotate too?
They're mostly all their own stand alone events. Not test matches.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The ladies don't grow moustaches and fight prostate cancer why should we play cricket and fight breast cancer? :ph34r:

Nancy np10 excepted, of course.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In South Africa the ODI played at the Wanderers is always the 'pink' ODI. The guys even play in pink and everyone is encouraged to wear pink etc.

Don't RCB play one IPL home game every year in green to help the fight against global warming?

Think it is fine, really... The new years' test is a popular thing in Sydney and it being the holiday season and all, one would assume it is the best opportunity to raise awareness and get people who are willing and able to donate to the cause, but are generally too busy with their own lives to check out which ones are worthy and need support, an opportunity to contribute... I don't see anything that needs to change, tbh...

ajdude

International Coach
does anyone else reckon chris rogers spends the entire pink test thinking "what the **** is this pink thing"