• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling attacks hit for six

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The only argument I really agree with is the flat tracks. Anything else is nothing really to complain about. Satellite television and heavier bats aren't really an excuse. If you're good enough you'll beat the batsman's bat, thus the weight is irrelevant.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I find shorter boundaries particularly worrying. It is understandable bringing the ropes in a couple of metres in the interests of player safety, but at some venues (especially in ODI's)they are brought in up to 20 metres, which is frankly ridiculous.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think the article was implying because the bats are heavier that it makes it harder for the bowlers to get them out, rather that batsman are able to get more runs from their shots then they were 10-20 years ago.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
I think that the influence of Australia and how quickly they score their runs, not just in ODI's but Tests also, that has seen other sides adopting quick scoring methods. This has lead to bowling attacks being punished more than ever.

Satelite TV with games being able to be shown live is no excuse.

PY

International Coach
I completely agree with some of the pitches being too flat. It doesn't breed close games enough for my liking. Low-scoring matches are always more interesting for me even though it's nice to see really big scores.

One of the best games I've seen on TV and got into the tense nature of it was England v West Indies, Lords 2000. Was truly engrossing to watch. And only 646 runs were scored on 4 innings.

I can only hope that making a 5-day Test doesn't come in front of making pitches that keep bowlers interested.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
the swing bowling thing is the most relevant, most bowlers just dont swing the ball for long enough and consistantly enough

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
I completely agree with some of the pitches being too flat. It doesn't breed close games enough for my liking. Low-scoring matches are always more interesting for me even though it's nice to see really big scores.

One of the best games I've seen on TV and got into the tense nature of it was England v West Indies, Lords 2002. Was truly engrossing to watch. And only 646 runs were scored on 4 innings.

I can only hope that making a 5-day Test doesn't come in front of making pitches that keep bowlers interested.
My sentiments exactly - I could have written that post.:)
But I can tell you for certain that brilliant game, easily my favourite Test of all-time, was in 2000, not 2002!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree thoroughly with everything in the article - though I don't think TV-coverage is a bad thing.
Good bowlers can't be picked no matter how many times you watch them - no-one will ever be able to pick Murali from the hand if you ask me. See also Warne's orthodox-leg-break, slider and zoota; Harvey and Fernando's slower-balls.
The single most important thing, though, is flat wickets and boundaries that are too short. Without these, none of the other stuff would have that much impact. For me, the longer the boundary, the better.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Richard said:
My sentiments exactly - I could have written that post.:)
But I can tell you for certain that brilliant game, easily my favourite Test of all-time, was in 2000, not 2002!
D'oh, I knew I'd get something wrong. :(

Eclipse

International Debutant
I have no problem's with boundry rope's in Australia because even with the rope's in much closer we still have huge ground's.

My problem is boundry rope's on some of the small sub-contenent ground's it just make's them soooo small.

In the recent TVS cup I saw Ponting play a little chip shot only half a swing and the ball went for six but it would probably have only made it half / three quarters the way to then fence at the Adelade oval.

Craig

World Traveller
The only really good thing about playinng cricket on AFL Grounds. ALso outfields are lightening quick.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I agree with all points apart from the satellite argument, after all we are forgetting that it only takes one ball to get a batsman out, so it is "easier" (if thats the word) for the bowler to watch satellite television and "figure" out the batsman IMO, rather then vice versa.

Good bowlers can't be picked no matter how many times you watch them - no-one will ever be able to pick Murali from the hand if you ask me. See also Warne's orthodox-leg-break, slider and zoota; Harvey and Fernando's slower-balls
I agree with this 100%, satellite may help slightly but won't change this, its all about how you deal with the bowlers in the middle.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
I have no problem's with boundry rope's in Australia because even with the rope's in much closer we still have huge ground's.

My problem is boundry rope's on some of the small sub-contenent ground's it just make's them soooo small.

In the recent TVS cup I saw Ponting play a little chip shot only half a swing and the ball went for six but it would probably have only made it half / three quarters the way to then fence at the Adelade oval.
It's a bigger problem with grounds outside Australia, but what's the point in having a nice huge ground unless you use the whole thing?
One of the essences of Australia is that boundaries should be harder to come by.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
It's a bigger problem with grounds outside Australia, but what's the point in having a nice huge ground unless you use the whole thing?
One of the essences of Australia is that boundaries should be harder to come by.
Nahh I personaly think most of the ground's in Australia are probably just to big to even consider playing without boundry ropes.

Most are made for AFL football and without ropes they are just to big.