• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thommo!!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thommo!!

In this feature Martin remembers Jeff Thomson, who turns 65 this year, and the thrilling impact he made when his career took off in the mid 1970s

JBMAC

State Captain
Thommo!!

In this feature Martin remembers Jeff Thomson, who turns 65 this year, and the thrilling impact he made when his career took off in the mid 1970s
Good article, enjoyable read. I was fortunate enough to play both with and against JT at club level. When he first came up from NSW even he admitted he did not know where some of his deliveries were going. He is the second fastest bowler I faced.( Wes Hall being the fastest). He is what I would call a "typical" aussie and definitely likes a cold one or two. If you went to him with a problem be it personal or cricket related he always listened and would help where he could . A great bloke and it's nice to see an article written about him Thanks

fredfertang

Bloody Hell JB - you must have been quite a cricketer back in the day - I can see now why you shrugged off your recent near death experience so easily - compared with those two facing the grim reaper must have been like having to bat against Trevor Chappell

Blocky

Banned
Slightly related...

I read something recently that indicated Thomson felt he would set todays radars off at about 180kmh... surely it should be easy enough to take a video of him from delivery release to the time it reaches the batsman and compare it against Brett Lee, Tait, Shoaib Akhtar or bowlers of that ilk.

I'm surprised that's not been done by some of the networks already considering their video footage for this would be much better than dodgy video recordings or YouTube clips.

harsh.ag

They probably did that and aren't disclosing the results to spare Thommo the blushes :cool:

Blocky

Banned
To be fair to Thommo, a lot of batsman (including Crowe who got to see Waqar Younis in full flight) said he was much much quicker than any other bowler they faced, but I think part of this comes down to the fact that his slinging action and bringing the ball from behind his body before release would make him seem quicker. I've always hated slingers for that reason.

harsh.ag

Why would that make you hate slingers??

I also think there might be another reason. I am sure the English batsmen from last year's Ashes, if asked just after having got out to Johnson, would have given his pace to be in 150s. Something like that could apply to Thommo as well.

Blocky

Banned
Why would that make you hate slingers??

I also think there might be another reason. I am sure the English batsmen from last year's Ashes, if asked just after having got out to Johnson, would have given his pace to be in 150s. Something like that could apply to Thommo as well.
Facing them, watching them is always fun.