• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dream ODI Cricket Team

Aduh

Cricket Spectator
Hi all, my first post here so I thought I might get an interesting convo going on. Its a slow day at work :)

Anyways here it is

WORLD TEAM.JPG

Lets compare the major statistics. So from an average perspective the team is expected to score 368 runs for every 417 balls faced which adjusted for a 50 over game averages out to approximately 265 runs scored per game. Obviously its not an accurate representation of every game, but given sufficient amount of games it should be round about where the score lies. The bowling strength of the team while slightly one dimensional (and it will suffer on slower pitches and lacks a quality offspinner) is extremely strong. Some of the fastest and most dangerous pacers find their place on the squad and on average will claim 9.31 wickets per game in addition to only bleeding 239 runs on average, i.e. average of 25.7 per wicket.

Pros of the Team

Some of the best batsmen in the world
Some of the best bowlers in the world

Cons of the Team

Lacks effective spin variety
Batting depth may go to deep, perhaps under utilizing the batting strength.
Team is very heavy on Australian/South African Players

Supplementation

*Obviously a spot needs to be made for a good offspinner on pitches that may turn, but there is a massive shortage of quality off spinners.
*Ajmal/Narine may have been obvious picks were they still allowed to play.
*Herath is an option, but I do not rate him very highly.
*Shahid Afridi may have a spot open for him here and there, but he is hardly consistent enough to merit a guaranteed position.
*The team also lacks an explosive finisher, which could again be supplemented by an all rounder such as Afridi/Maxwell or someone along those lines.
*Kane Williamson would have definitely made my team, the problem is I dont quite know where to put him. I can either drop Warner and promote him to opener, but I see no space for him on the team otherwise.
*Sangakara will keep wicket, but it is likely that he will be a subpar wicket keeper considering his age
*Dhoni can replace sanga as he provides that late game umph, but I think his wicket keeping may be even weaker than sangas.

Justifications

Hashim Amla (SA) Clearly one of the most dominant openers in the world. His numbers and form automatically justifies his selection.
David Warner (AUS) An agressive opener, he will provide a sufficient foil against Amlas more timid style. If Kane Williamson can step up to opener position, I might pick him instead.
Virat Kohli (IND) Clearly in great form, his ODI form justifies his selection
A.de Villiers (SA) Same as above
Kumar Sangakara (SRI) Sangakara is clearly a premium batsman wicket keeper, but since he does not really keep anymore perhaps Dhoni can step in.
Steven Smith (AUS) Purple patch, this boy is amazing, and he can churn out a few overs if need be as well.
Angelo Mathews (SRI) Again purple patch player, solid all rounder, can recover in case of collapse and can also bowl out a few overs.
M.Starc (AUS) Good new prospect, stats are quite good, but he replaceable with a more aggressive batsmen down the order in case smith/angelo can bowl the extra overs.
M. Johnson (AUS) Breaking arms is a must
V.Philander (SA) Very consistent performer and can bat a little bit
D. Steyn (SA) Johnson and steyn operating from both ends? OH LAWD!

Australia.JPG

Here is the Australia squad from their last few odis. As compared with my squad, they score more runs on average (280 per 50 overs as compared with 265) and their bowling squad has potential to bowl out their opponents at 9.45 wickets per innings (making the attack slightly more potent than mine wicket wise), but they bleed 264 runs on average, as compared with 239 for my world 11 team. So while my team is likely to score a few less runs, it is likely to bowl out their opposition for less. I compare the squad with Australia, as Australia has always been a benchmark for performance, and even now they remain a strong side, even if they are far from their glory days.

So guys I hope this sparks some discussion, clearly some of my spots can be adjusted as mentioned above but lets hear what you guys have to say!

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Get ABdV to keep to solve that problem.
2. Amla/Williamson is an opening combination that I think would be absolutely epic in ODI cricket.
3. Smitteh shouldn't be bowling 5 over per game. He's a batsman alone these days.
4. I don't think I'd be picking Philander or Starc, though I can see the appeal of Starc in white ball cricket.