• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are tons really that impressive in this era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You look around in the current climate and there a dime a dozen now. Smith's filling his boots, Warner seems to get one every innings, Sanga's having a ball, Williamson gets a double having been dropped three times!!.. AB in this current series vs WI, Kohli has three vs Aus...a youngster like Brathwaite has three in three series and what can be said about that ton fest in Asia when Pakistan played Aus and NZ?!! :blink:

I wonder if there will soon come a time when a ton will become the new fifty? because it just seems to be far too easy for batsmen these days.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I still enjoy the very rare occasion I get one in the 4ths.

ajdude

International Coach
If WI batsmen were scoring hundred after hundred I'm sure you would disagree
why does this have to be about WI batsmen? play the ball not the man

I guess it's whether it comes down to bigger bats, flatter pitches, **** bowlers or smaller grounds. I dunno, I reckon Dan should get some stats going about tons scored in 2010-2014 vs 2005-2009 or something

should add that I really don't care, love seeing big tons

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't see it as being much different to a decade ago when the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Kallis, Dravid & Sehwag, Lara, Langer Yousuf & Smith were seemingly scoring hundreds at will. The only difference is NZ'der's are scoring more tons than they used to.

Strange thread.

You really should check out some of the calender year records from 10 years ago and you'll see 2014 was not a lot different than 2004 & 2005 for instance.

Antihippy

International Debutant
It's only really been recently that someone other than Clarke can regularly ton up for australia.

So yes, it's impressive to me.

viriya

International Captain
I agree that batsmen tonned up as much if not more in the last decade.. now the question is if the current lot compare well with the greats who batted from 2000-2010..

Warner for Hayden
Smith for Ponting
Braithwaite for Lara
Kohli for Tendulkar
Rahane for Dravid
Faf for Kallis
Kane for ??
McCullum for ??

Blocky

Banned
I agree that batsmen tonned up as much if not more in the last decade.. now the question is if the current lot compare well with the greats who batted from 2000-2010..

Warner for Hayden
Smith for Ponting
Braithwaite for Lara
Kohli for Tendulkar
Rahane for Dravid
Faf for Kallis
Kane for ??
McCullum for ??
Astle
Cairns
McMillan
Vettori
Fleming
Horne
Sinclair
Vincent
Styris
Parore

We didn't have two guys scoring so many centuries, but we did spread them across the team

viriya

International Captain
Astle
Cairns
McMillan
Vettori
Fleming
Horne
Sinclair
Vincent
Styris
Parore

We didn't have two guys scoring so many centuries, but we did spread them across the team
Yep.. wasn't meant as a slight at former NZ batsmen.
It does get you thinking though.. if 10 years from now the the current lot would be looked at similarly. Every decade adds more great players which almost feels like it devalues "greatness".

Flem274*

123/5
Of course they are, have you looked at some of the bowlers around these days?

India and Sri Lanka bowling away from home are a bit **** I grant you, but a couple of days ago Kumar Sangakkara scored a double on a bowler friendly deck against the third best attack in the world. Brathwaite tonned up against the best attack in the world last week, Kohli and Rahane tonned up against the second best and Rahane all but scored a ton against the fourth best attack on a green top which included two guys knowing for being on ATG level at home.

What more do you want to make a ton impressive?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As always, depends who you play. But these days, with constant cricket, if these good players hit form, they never have a break to lose that form. Just as they never get a break to relax and regain it.

Frost

U19 Debutant
why does this have to be about WI batsmen? play the ball not the man
I think you should look at some of the posts of the person who started the thread if you're talking bout playing the man and not the ball, he is a classic example. Based on some of the sarcastic responses to the thread question I think my response was justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.