• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best(current) commentators

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
See, the thing is that I'm pretty sure this applies to every single commentator in the C9 box. There's just something about the place which makes otherwise sharp cricket brains turn to guffawing children, and a lot of us think we know what that something is.

Can't get people calling Dravid boring, though.
I hear you, but I reckon you're being too nice saying every commentator. Healy for a start, just knows squat about the game. Lee & Hussey don't strike me as naturals at all, in contrast to ex-players like Blewett, Fleming, Ponting, Gilchrist etc who come in immediately as articulate and confident. Slater is a 40-odd year old child, but yeah I think Mark Taylor is a very sharp brain that's been dragged down over the years. Even Mark Nicholas was sharp in his earlier years, but gee he's nuzzled at the executive breast ever since.

Not 100 per on what the 'something is?' Given the CH9 league commentators are reasonably the same, it must come from on top.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've heard people say that Healy started out alright and is alright on his radio stints outside of the C9 box. Slater was definitely decent when he started too.

The something is one Brad "how many FC games have you played?" McNamara, the EP.

But I mean, the BBL commentators are by far the most entertaining as a group right now IMO.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Best: Gower, Athers, Nasser, Nick Knight, Warne (when there is a spin bowler bowling)

Worst: Dravid (boring and struck me as being stuck-up), Bob Willis (boring, aggressive old man on a par with Victor Meldrew), Michael Holding (WI's answer to Bob Willis, acted as if Stuart Broad was the first person ever to not walk- seemed to ignore England needing to review a Brad Haddin edge to dismiss him)
:thumbup: :notworthy

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The something is one Brad "how many FC games have you played?" McNamara, the EP.
Tell me more about this person - I'm intrigued. I know he's a former FC player, and he's the one that commentated on the 50-over stuff, yes? Why are we to owe the dog and pony show to him?

Quite right on the Big Bash stuff too. **** it's a good product.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tell me more about this person - I'm intrigued. I know he's a former FC player, and he's the one that commentated on the 50-over stuff, yes? Why are we to owe the dog and pony show to him?

Quite right on the Big Bash stuff too. **** it's a good product.
He's the Director of Cricket for Channel 9, and accordingly has influence over Channel 9 cricket run.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
I am not really a fan of the NZ commentators. Ken Rutherford isn't too bad but he's not a regular. My favourites at the moment are Russel Arnold and Michael Slater. Rusty in particular has been giving the NZ commentators a real schooling.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best: Gower, Athers, Nasser, Nick Knight, Warne (when there is a spin bowler bowling)

Worst: Dravid (boring and struck me as being stuck-up), Bob Willis (boring, aggressive old man on a par with Victor Meldrew), Michael Holding (WI's answer to Bob Willis, acted as if Stuart Broad was the first person ever to not walk- seemed to ignore England needing to review a Brad Haddin edge to dismiss him)
I can actually tolerate Nick Knight an awful lot more than I used to be able to. PEWS said it a while back but he is actually ok when it comes to limited overs cricket, primarily because unlike a fair few that work for Sky he is actually interested in the format.

Despite all that, having him in the bests and Bob and Dravid in the worst is just deeply confusing.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I am not really a fan of the NZ commentators. Ken Rutherford isn't too bad but he's not a regular. My favourites at the moment are Russel Arnold and Michael Slater. Rusty in particular has been giving the NZ commentators a real schooling.
I don't know if it's just down to familiarity but I do like Rigor. He's not afraid to share slightly off-centre opinions or views but at the same time doesn't over-do it and knows how to leave a bit of space.

Blocky

Banned
I hear you, but I reckon you're being too nice saying every commentator. Healy for a start, just knows squat about the game. Lee & Hussey don't strike me as naturals at all, in contrast to ex-players like Blewett, Fleming, Ponting, Gilchrist etc who come in immediately as articulate and confident. Slater is a 40-odd year old child, but yeah I think Mark Taylor is a very sharp brain that's been dragged down over the years. Even Mark Nicholas was sharp in his earlier years, but gee he's nuzzled at the executive breast ever since.

Not 100 per on what the 'something is?' Given the CH9 league commentators are reasonably the same, it must come from on top.
Slater in his very first test series here in NZ was actually really good, great at disecting the approach to batting and I was impressed. The problem is that he's gone back into playing the team role he played when he was the young guy in the team with Healy and Warne. I also know that Channel 9 actively work roles in the commentary box on what they feel appeal to casual viewers ( i.e mothers letting the TV stay on for their children to watch)

I've never liked Damien Fleming as a commentator, pretty impressed by Ponting and Mark Waugh though. I think Warne can be absolutely outstanding but he needs to be away from the guys he played cricket with to bring that side out of him. He's always so much better with the English commentary team.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He's the Director of Cricket for Channel 9, and accordingly has influence over Channel 9 cricket run.
So we think he's the one to blame for the sycophantic behaviour? Has he been interviewed or do we know a lot about his style...just interested in the back story of how CH9 went so horribly wrong.

Billy Birmingham would have a field day in the current set up

morgieb

So we think he's the one to blame for the sycophantic behaviour? Has he been interviewed or do we know a lot about his style...just interested in the back story of how CH9 went so horribly wrong.

Billy Birmingham would have a field day in the current set up
His commentary in the Matador Cup has been beyond awful. Like super tryhard and blokey. We all whinge about the regular 9 commentators but this ****'s even worse.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Just remembered the World Cup does the best commentators from all over the world. Could be really good or go really bad.

morgieb

Just remembered the World Cup does the best commentators from all over the world. Could be really good or go really bad.
Could just be the most famous worldwide commentators, so we may see some people who are popular but more learned cricket fans generally find them pretty poor.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Slater in his very first test series here in NZ was actually really good, great at disecting the approach to batting and I was impressed. The problem is that he's gone back into playing the team role he played when he was the young guy in the team with Healy and Warne. I also know that Channel 9 actively work roles in the commentary box on what they feel appeal to casual viewers ( i.e mothers letting the TV stay on for their children to watch)

I've never liked Damien Fleming as a commentator, pretty impressed by Ponting and Mark Waugh though. I think Warne can be absolutely outstanding but he needs to be away from the guys he played cricket with to bring that side out of him. He's always so much better with the English commentary team.
I can definitely believe that stuff about the casual fan. Spose it's a similar scenario to the digital content v newspaper debate - it'd be great to have newspapers, but online is where the money is at. If the casual Australian viewer gets a reasoned, analytical, detailed view they'll probably say '**** this Shazza' and go fornicate with their cousin.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Healy actually uses "we" for the Australian team on the park while commentating. It's his full-time gig ffs, not a guest spot. Ridiculous guy.

Blocky

Banned
I can definitely believe that stuff about the casual fan. Spose it's a similar scenario to the digital content v newspaper debate - it'd be great to have newspapers, but online is where the money is at. If the casual Australian viewer gets a reasoned, analytical, detailed view they'll probably say '**** this Shazza' and go fornicate with their cousin.
Yup, got to remember that as much as we love hearing someone like Warne, Hussain or Chappell breaking down the technical side of a players game, it's boring as all sin to the casual observer who really watches because of "AUSTRALIA, **** YEAH!" - and that is also the reason behind the over the top cheer leading, that to fits the Australian mould of casual viewer.