• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best(current) commentators

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Atherton, Hussain, Manjekar, Bishop, Ackerman, Styris and Gavaskar only when he is pissed off. My abiding memory of a lot of Sachin's legendary innings' has a lot to do with Greig's commentary although in his Ch 9 years I found him biased for some reason.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I like listening to James Brayshaw at the minute because he seems to realise that less is more.
Decent sarcasm this, and the Brett Lee post.

Brayshaw is actually a bloody good AFL radio commentator. I get the feeling they're instructed to be sycophants, and it's generally easier to fit in with the berks - ie Healy, Slater, Nicholas - than it is to forge your own style and identity.

Best: Hussain, Jim Maxwell, Coney, Ponting, Atherton, Warne when not being silly, Flintoff being great in Big Bash too

Worst: Cricinfo commenters, Healy, Slater, Nicholas, Raja, Morrison, Malcolm Jordan, (unwittingly) any player with a microphone shoved under his nose on the way/back from the crease.

cnerd123

likes this
Oh I love Danny Morrison btw. Especially in the IPL. He is my guilty pleasure.

Just love how excited he is by everything.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I actually don't hate Brayshaw. He's ok to listen to, knows the game, good voice, sense the mood etc etc. It's just his OTT personality sometimes that makes me cringe a bit. Not everything is "amazing" or "remarkable" (this amazing test batsman, this amazing cricket ground, this amazing tribute to Phil Hughes, this remarkable partnership)...amazing, remarkable, incredible, outstanding, magnificent blah blah...drop half the OTT adjectives...

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think Brayshaw's style is suited to TV. For mine he's just not very interesting to listen to, doesn't really add anything to the box and it's hard to be a play-by-play commentator in this sport.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I like Nasser and Holding from Sky. From Star Sports, Ravi Shastri and Gavaskar are better than Manjrekar and Bhogle (brown noser). I really dislike the Channel 9 commentators - Aussie 'blokes' who keep back slapping each other and air some very biased views

morgieb

Nasser and Atherton are the best I know. Rest of the Sky team has their flaws but generally aren't awful barring maybe Botham.

9 has gotten pretty **** lately. I can see why Chappell is hated but he does at least try to analyse the game and adds something, Taylor's not the worst, and then......

Pakistan are really bad. Others are pretty poor to meh as well IMO.

Zinzan

Let's see now;

The best;

England:
Hussian - Astute & succinct
Boycott - Has the best cricketing grandmother in history
Botham - Can drone on, but like his banter with Nass, Bumble & Athers
Bumble - Enough said

Australia:
Lawry - Grew up to his infectious enthusiasm, proved he's still got it on Boxing day
Chappell- Definitely the only one of the current Ch 9 team who wears pants as opposed to a cheer-leading skirt.
Taylor/Warne - Outside of their cheerleading antics, they can both be good.
Ponting - really enjoying him in the BB

New Zealand:
Coney - Best I've ever heard on the wireless, his creativity & ability to paint a picture isn't as effective on TV
Styris - Relatively, new but seems to ask the questions the audience wants to hear.
Richardson/Smith - bit of a love/hate relationship with both tbh

Best of the rest:
Basit Ali - Actually found him a great relief from Morrison & Rameez in the last tour
Ian Bishop - Class act
Wasim Akram - Love his knowledge & insight
Gavaskar - Terrible with post match comments, but actually really good in the box these days

The Worst:

Rameez - Took cricket commentary to a new low in the recent NZ/Pak series
Healy - No justification required
Brayshaw - His cheerleading skirt is even shorter than Slater's, Healy's & Nicholas's
Morrison - Not nearly as dire as 2-3 years ago, but still one of the most nauseating
Nicholas - Just plain creepy

Zinzan

Not sure if he still commentates, but also very much enjoy Barry Richards.

Flem274*

123/5
Ian Bishop, Mark Taylor, Bill Lawry, Russell Arnold, Waqar Younis, Ian Smith, Jeremy Coney, Sunny Gavaskar away from a big three tour/home series

Zinzan

Ian Bishop, Mark Taylor, Bill Lawry, Russell Arnold, Waqar Younis, Ian Smith, Jeremy Coney, Sunny Gavaskar away from a big three tour/home series
Waqar Younis to do the eulogy? :-O

Wonderful bowler & possibly a good cricketing brain, but painfully boring commentator in anyone's language, no?

Flem274*

123/5
I loved him back when he was a regular voice in our box a few years ago.

Highlight was the immortal call "I think you guys have found a number three" when Daryl Tuffey scored 70 odd.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Ian bishop,bill lawry, Mark Nicholas ,Russell Arnold, Harsha Bogle, Bumble, Botham, Nasser and for a bit of crazy, Danny Morrison . Also think Gillys BBL commentary is very good too..
Edit- forgot Jeremy Coney and Smithy too from NZ

Last edited: