• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
And some other people cannot accept that Murali plays way over half of his games in the Subcontinent, and away from there, he is not as useful.
Perhaps not as useful, but still pretty damn good.

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Richard said:
Perhaps not as useful, but still pretty damn good.
Yeh but didnt you see that stat? Murali's average outside of asia is the same as warne's inside asia. So i dont think its a very good argument.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My point is that both have the capability to do well in all conditions.
Clearly any spinner should do best when the ball is turning most.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
To me, Murali will be a better bowler than Warne will be when he returns.

Murali will get to 500 wickets before Warne since he has more chance of taking wickets. As mentioned earlier, Murali has an easier time to take more wickets than other bowlers, as, lets face it, Sri Lanka don't have a strong bowling lineup. I mean, Chaminda Vaas...

Warne has to compete to take wickets with skilled bowlers such as McGrath, Gillespe, Bichel, Williams etc. therefore will not take five wicket innings so consistantly as Murali...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
And what, exactly, is that supposed to mean?:!(
I meant Vaas is the only other bowler that seriously rivals Murali in taking a five wicket innings.

IMHO Nobody else in Sri Lanka apart from Murali and Vaas are capable of taking five wickets on a constant basis if the two mentioned earlier are in the side, bar maybe Bandara.

PY

International Coach
SirBloody Idiot said:
skilled bowlers such (in the words of the absent)<snip> Williams etc.
Welcome to CW Sir Bloody Idiot :) Like the name. :D

You however, just lost all respect from me with that statement. :P

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
PY said:
Welcome to CW Sir Bloody Idiot :) Like the name. :D

You however, just lost all respect from me with that statement. :P
Bah~!

He's the only person who is close to WA who can bowl.

Hey, at least he is in the team not only because he is from NSW...:D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Angel is a better bowler than Williams anyday, retired or not.
And sorry if I mistook your words over Chaminda, I thought you were taking a slight at his ability.

DT8

SirBloody Idiot said:
Warne has to compete to take wickets with skilled bowlers such as McGrath, Gillespe, Bichel, Williams etc. therefore will not take five wicket innings so consistantly as Murali...
Someone on here correctly pointed out that a spinner will have a better chance of taking wickets if McGrath is tying down one end.

Don Ricardo

Richard said:
Angel is a better bowler than Williams anyday, retired or not.
And sorry if I mistook your words over Chaminda, I thought you were taking a slight at his ability.
Williams has been Australia's best bowler for most of this summer- what do u think is wrong with him?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Don Ricardo said:
Williams has been Australia's best bowler for most of this summer- what do u think is wrong with him?
Well, to be fair, nothing I've seen has made me think he's particually special, and his Test Performances weren't very impressive. But then Lee, Bichel and Bracken all showed their limitations as well. I suppose you could say he's been the best of a rather unimpressive bunch. It did surprise me that they picked Williams instead of Bracken, especially as Bracken was the more impressive of the 2 in India.

Don Ricardo

Did u see the final day of the Adelaide test?

Even bowling with an injury he was the most dangerous of the bowlers by far and beat the bet regularly.

Whilst he might not be a world beater he has pace and bouce and can swing it away a bit and bowls a pretty usefull nip-backer (see 3rd test and odi vs zim where he took 5 for).

Bracken, on the other hand, lacks a yard of pace and rearley gets consistent swing (except for the series in india). Watching him bowl around the wicket, wide of off stump at about 115 k's in the sydney and melbourne tests was the most negative and unthreatning australian bowling ive seen in all my years of following cricket.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Don Ricardo said:
Did u see the final day of the Adelaide test?

Even bowling with an injury he was the most dangerous of the bowlers by far and beat the bet regularly.

Whilst he might not be a world beater he has pace and bouce and can swing it away a bit and bowls a pretty usefull nip-backer (see 3rd test and odi vs zim where he took 5 for).

Bracken, on the other hand, lacks a yard of pace and rearley gets consistent swing (except for the series in india). Watching him bowl around the wicket, wide of off stump at about 115 k's in the sydney and melbourne tests was the most negative and unthreatning australian bowling ive seen in all my years of following cricket.
Totally agree with all of this. Williams is by no means destined to be a great, but he's certainly outperformed the other Aussie fast bowlers this summer. People then say that's not so impressive, seeing as the Aussie bowlers have been so repeatedly ineffectual, but I say, give him some bloody credit, his stats have been decent, and he's played on some shockingly bat-friendly wicket. And yes, Bracken's a defensive, economical bowler (and yes, IMO, not worth pursuing), but what we're in most need of right now are wicket takers. It seems to me that most of those deriding Williams' ability are perhaps fixated on his behaviour, and facial expressions, and maybe not his actual bowling. Oh well, the same happens to Warne, I guess.

As to Warne vs Murali, comparing them is difficult, because both arguments come with heavy prejudices depending on where you're from (and who you dislike on a more personal level). I'd say Murali, but only just.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DT8 said:
Someone on here correctly pointed out that a spinner will have a better chance of taking wickets if McGrath is tying down one end.
Not against decent batsmen with some discretion.
Not all batsmen worry about the speed of their scoring, you know.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don Ricardo said:
As against New Zealand, his ODI performances against the might of Zimbabwe have been very good this summer.
India, as they did in The TVS Cup, have largely hammered him around the park (yes, they've gifted a wicket or two to him also).
And in the Test-matches he has been the best of a bad bunch, simple as. Just because the rest are rubbish, the pitches bat-friendly (and in fact less so than previous summers - just because opposition batting has been better, does not mean you the batting conditions automatically must have been "shocking" or anything - somehow I doubt they are "shocking" when Hayden and the like are at the crease) and the batting good does not mean substandardnesses are excusable.
If you can't bowl threateningly in conditions that don't assist seam and swing, you're not going to have much success ATM, anywhere. Williams is only going to be a threat if there is seam-movement; he doesn't even swing the ball much.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
DT8 said:
Yeh apparently on his 2nd tour to AUS, some guy went up to him and goes "hey can i have your autograph chucker?"
No, I think it was more on the lines of what Darren Lehmann was banned for last year i.e racial abuse.

DT8

jamesryfler said:
No, I think it was more on the lines of what Darren Lehmann was banned for last year i.e racial abuse.
No it was "can i have your autograph chucker." This sort of behaviour is a disgrace, especially considering he has been exonerated. I mean if an Indian fan went to Warne and said "can i have your autograph drugo" it would still be a disgrace.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But come on! This is Australia, remember?
That's just the way they play. It's shocking and unacceptable for anyone else, but for Australia, it's just the way they play.
:!(

DT8

ok but think about it this way -

Shane Warne can bowl:
- leg spinner
- googly
- top spinner
- slider
- zooter (has this been banned?)
- flipper

Murali can bowl:
- off spinner
- doosra
- top spinner
- arm ball
- flipper (he is working on this atm apparently)