• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

twctopcat

International Regular
Apparently murali's new wrongun is pretty much unreadable,comes out of the hand virtually exactly the same as the offy. Even though england managed to hold him off in the first 2 tests against sri lanka last year, they still admitted they couldnt read it. However you get days like headingley '01 where warne gets hit around by butcher etc, don't think ive ever seen that happen to murali.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
twctopcat said:
don't think ive ever seen that happen to murali.
Yeah, it happens.

In the match in that series, when England needed 50 to win off 6 overs, Vaughnie and Tres got hold of him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Thelwell said:
Murali will always be known for being a suspected 'chucker' but Warne will always be remembered for the way he bowled Mike Gatting in his first ashes match.
Murali bowled a very similer ball that was every bit as good to Mark Butcher a few years ago in England. Personally I'd say Murali's the best spinner, better record in just about every sense. I think people rate Warne ahead of him because they think Murali chucks or just don't understand him, but everything points to Murali.

twctopcat

International Regular
halsey said:
Yeah, it happens.

In the match in that series, when England needed 50 to win off 6 overs, Vaughnie and Tres got hold of him.
Hmmm,don't know about that. England only had 1 ODI last year against them last year and got whooped, as for the test matches murali went for about 1.5 an over the whole time. The only bowlers tres and vaughan went after were vaas and fernando-the quickies, cause they knew they couldnt get any off murali!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tom's referring to the Third Test in Summer 2002 after Gilo cleaned up the tail and we knocked the runs off when Sanath's field settings went to pieces.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Personally I'd say Murali's the best spinner, better record in just about every sense. I think people rate Warne ahead of him because they think Murali chucks or just don't understand him, but everything points to Murali.
I couldn't agree more - some people cannot accept genius!!!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
And some other people cannot accept that Murali plays way over half of his games in the Subcontinent, and away from there, he is not as useful.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
halsey said:
And some other people cannot accept that Murali plays way over half of his games in the Subcontinent, and away from there, he is not as useful.
Bit of a mistake there! Come on we know he plays a lot of his games in the Subcontinent, but that's because he's from there! Why not go any look at Warne's record in the Subcontinent and then explain to us why Murali playing over there all the time is such an advantage when Warne can't seem to bowl on those surfaces, which are perfect for spinners...

As for Murali's record away from home, it's not as impressive no, but it's not the worst I've seen.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Rik said:
Bit of a mistake there! Come on we know he plays a lot of his games in the Subcontinent, but that's because he's from there!
Well, duh. :P :D :lol:

Warne on the subcontinent, all his bad performances there, with the exception of India '01, were around the time of his shoulder injury.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
halsey said:
Murali in Asia - 373 @ 21.49, Away from Asia 108 @ 28.83
Warne in Asia - 76 @ 28.47, Away from Asia 415 @ 25.20

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
It was his first ball in the Ashes.

His first in Test cricket was on a very long subcontintental tour he finished with 1 wicket @ 374 or something...
Warne's first test was in Sydney against India in 1991. India piled on around 500 runs in that match with Warne taking 1 wicket for 150 odd runs. Warne was taken apart by Ravi Shastri and Sachin with Shastri scoring a double hundred.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I really hope Murali tours Australia this year.

Last time he toured he was abused by a number of fans on the boundary. Hope that doesn't happen again.

We want to see a genius in action.

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeh apparently on his 2nd tour to AUS, some guy went up to him and goes "hey can i have your autograph chucker?"

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
jamesryfler said:
I really hope Murali tours Australia this year.
I think he might just come for the Darwin test because he hasn't had problems with crowds up there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
i think in the series where sri lanka came to england england had murali worked out. if he off spins it so much then just tuck him away on the leg side. warne, the better bowler.
As has been said, those Tests don't really mean that much because Murali was quite badly injured. Murali's wrong-'uns have been better since about early 2003 than they were previously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Apparently murali's new wrongun is pretty much unreadable,comes out of the hand virtually exactly the same as the offy. Even though england managed to hold him off in the first 2 tests against sri lanka last year, they still admitted they couldnt read it. However you get days like headingley '01 where warne gets hit around by butcher etc, don't think ive ever seen that happen to murali.
Everyone gets hit around in some games.
But yes, Murali's wrong-'un is unpickable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Murali bowled a very similer ball that was every bit as good to Mark Butcher a few years ago in England. Personally I'd say Murali's the best spinner, better record in just about every sense. I think people rate Warne ahead of him because they think Murali chucks or just don't understand him, but everything points to Murali.
Personally I'd say the Murali-Butcher ball wasn't quite as good as the Warne-Gatting one, but one delivery doesn't make a bowler. Warne has only ever really produced one other like the Gatting ball, to Gibbs in the semi of WC1999.
I too think people are insistant on rating Warne above Murali because they have these silly qualms about his action.
Personally I don't think there's any significant difference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Personally I'd say the Murali-Butcher ball wasn't quite as good as the Warne-Gatting one, but one delivery doesn't make a bowler. Warne has only ever really produced one other like the Gatting ball, to Gibbs in the semi of WC1999.
I too think people are insistant on rating Warne above Murali because they have these silly qualms about his action.
Personally I don't think there's any significant difference.