• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

Richard said:
It was worse than PWC, and that's saying something.
Not really, since all but 1 person accepts PWC as pretty damn good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

halsey said:
Agree with Grimmet and O'Reilly, not with Benaud and Qadir.
Benaud and Abdul Qadir achieved standards of accuracy parralled by only a few wristspinners (Warne and Murali included).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

marc71178 said:
Not really, since all but 1 person accepts PWC as pretty damn good.
Both attempted impossible tasks that people who've actually thought about would realise is impossible.

username

Cricket Spectator
Comparing statistics at the best of times can be marginally fruitful. Comparing statistics on these 2 is pointless. Wait until Muri is at the end of his career and has caught up to Warnes operations statistics before comparing.

One reply said that if Warne was Sri Lanken and Muri was Australian it'd be Muri who is regarded as the best. Well go look up Haydens and Gilchrists statistics and compare those to Tendulkars before preeching that Australians are hyped. The reason Warne is held is such esteem would be Goochs reaction to 'that delivery'. The shock that ball sent through the cricket world was immense and immediate, because there was defenitely no-one else currently playing who could have bowled it, and probably no-one ever. It became apparent then that Warne was 1 of a kind.

I'd approach the question by looking at who you'd rather have up your sleeve as a captain in a big game, or who you'd rather not face. For mine, Muri isn't a close second.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Warne better than Muralitharan?

Richard said:
Benaud and Abdul Qadir achieved standards of accuracy parralled by only a few wristspinners (Warne and Murali included).
Qadir in his prime was awesome and one of the all time best wrist spinner..... I rate Mushy very highly too in the all time list although he has been sitting on the sidelines for so may years now. Mushy's googly is the best I have ever seen.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
username said:
The reason Warne is held is such esteem would be Goochs reaction to 'that delivery'. The shock that ball sent through the cricket world was immense and immediate, because there was defenitely no-one else currently playing who could have bowled it, and probably no-one ever. It became apparent then that Warne was 1 of a kind.
Gatting :)

DT8

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
twctopcat said:
Warnie was one of the five wisden players of the last century.
Yeah this is what baffles me. According to wisden, Warne is one of the 5 cricketers of the century but Murali is the 'best bowler ever'. How does this work? When is 'the century' btw? What time period. Thanks.

Deja moo

International Captain
Comparing statistics at the best of times can be marginally fruitful. Comparing statistics on these 2 is pointless. Wait until Muri is at the end of his career and has caught up to Warnes operations statistics before comparing.
Ahem....It seems to me that Warne is the one who has the catching up to do...

Originally posted by username............The reason Warne is held is such esteem would be Goochs reaction to 'that delivery'. The shock that ball sent through the cricket world was immense and immediate, because there was defenitely no-one else currently playing who could have bowled it, and probably no-one ever. It became apparent then that Warne was 1 of a kind
Actually, Warne wasnt the only one to have bowled such a delivery....he wasnt even the first to do so.....Abdul Qadir had bowled the same delivery years before Warne, only it wasnt highlighted....

The thing Warne had going for him was that it was his first in an Ashes series, and that he was Australian, while Qadir was a Pakistani...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
DT8 said:
Yeah this is what baffles me. According to wisden, Warne is one of the 5 cricketers of the century but Murali is the 'best bowler ever'. How does this work? When is 'the century' btw? What time period. Thanks.
The Wisden 5 Cricketers of the Century were announced in 2000, so presumably the time period is 1900-2000.

Murali before 2000: 227 wickets at 27.04
Warne before 2000: 351 wickets at 25.66

Murali after 2000: 258 wickets at 19.34
Warne after 2000: 140 wickets at 25.82

Clearly, Murali's record after 2000 is better than Warne's, but the cut-off for the Wisden Cricketers of the Century is 2000. Warne's contributions in the 20th century, in terms of wickets taken and the less tangible contribution of reviving the art of leg-spin, were greater than Murali's, which is why he was awarded and Murali wasn't.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
DT8 said:
Murali is the 'best bowler ever'.
No, he isn't. As has been said many times, once you get to a certain level, there is no differential.

If anything, I rate Warne a better bowler.

twctopcat

International Regular
As far as i know, correct me if im wrong, but the aura surrounding warne came from the fact that " the ball of the century" was in fact warnes FIRST ball in test cricket, at least against england, in a ashes series. That says it all really. I still rate murali more though:)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It was his first ball in the Ashes.

His first in Test cricket was on a very long subcontintental tour he finished with 1 wicket @ 374 or something...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
It was his first ball in the Ashes.

His first in Test cricket was on a very long subcontintental tour he finished with 1 wicket @ 374 or something...
Yup, and when he suddenly started taking wickets on the next tour, to Sri Lanka, Dean Jones came up to him and said: "Well done, mate, your average has come down to 150 now!"

Next time, he would say: "Well done, mate, your average has come down to 120, now!" And so on.

Apparently, Warne wasn't best pleased at the time, but now sees it as quite funny.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
i think in the series where sri lanka came to england england had murali worked out. if he off spins it so much then just tuck him away on the leg side. warne, the better bowler.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Armadillo said:
i think in the series where sri lanka came to england england had murali worked out. if he off spins it so much then just tuck him away on the leg side. warne, the better bowler.
Very true.

Although England in Sri Lanka, Murali was all over us.

Comes down to whether he is in Asia or not, if you ask me.

Away from Asia, he can be nullified pretty effectively.

Warne is slightly better, as he does not play over half of his games in Asia.