• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jonbrooks chucking Megathread

cnerd123

likes this
Yay what point do you just get banned from bowling completely?

Letting Hafeez continue at this point is just ridiculous imo

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
imo once you hold the boards responsible for allowing illegal actions to turn out for their respective countries, we might see a great reduction in the number of dodgy actions.

I can't really think of a good penalty unfortunately.

Daemon

How so? If anything it's the opposite. The testing worked for him because it confirmed he was chucking.
Lots of people have argued in this thread that it doesn't actually prevent anyone from chucking because once they pass the rehab they go back and start chucking again.

TheJediBrah

Lots of people have argued in this thread that it doesn't actually prevent anyone from chucking because once they pass the rehab they go back and start chucking again.
I see. I guess you can't really argue against that can you?

I was thinking more along the lines of players just changing their actions slightly when they get tested so that they come within limits

cnerd123

likes this
There is also the argument that since they don't test 'clean' looking bowlers (or if they do, these results are not public) so we don't know if the testing is actually working as it should. It could be widely inconsistent (test the same bowler twice, get two different results) or it could be way inaccurate (everyone might be found to be exceeding limits if tested)

Hafeez passing and then failing repeatedly would suggest that any rehab he does to his action just doesn't stick, or that he's bowling the same way throughout except sometimes he passes and sometimes he fails - the tests are inconsistent.

TheJediBrah

There is also the argument that since they don't test 'clean' looking bowlers (or if they do, these results are not public) so we don't know if the testing is actually working as it should. It could be widely inconsistent (test the same bowler twice, get two different results) or it could be way inaccurate (everyone might be found to be exceeding limits if tested)

Hafeez passing and then failing repeatedly would suggest that any rehab he does to his action just doesn't stick, or that he's bowling the same way throughout except sometimes he passes and sometimes he fails - the tests are inconsistent.
until they can monitor bowling actions in game with acceptable accuracy I can't see any form of testing really doing anything to prevent chucking other than appease people, or allow the authorities to say "hey at least we tried".

Granted it's rooted out a few extreme cases like Ajmal but it's impossible to know how many a slipping through the cracks

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Hafeez's problem comes not from trying to spin the ball too much, or to bowl it quick like others. Hafeez's strength is the late release of the ball. He releases it early in his usual deliveries and pauses ever so slightly to drag the ball down in some deliveries. In my observations, this pause is the issue. And without the pause, he will not be the same bowler as well.