• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Comeback for Trott

JBMAC

State Captain

Former England batsman Jonathan Trott will continue to try to revive his test career on his first overseas tour since leaving the Ashes in Australia with stress issues just over a year ago.

The 33-year-old is captain of a 15-man England Lions squad, which begins a month-long tour of South Africa on Monday.

Trott will lead the team in a three-day warm-up match against an invitation side in Soweto and two four-day games against South Africa A this month. He is not in the squad for five one-day ‘internationals’ that follow.

The South African-born batsman has said his selection for the Lions squad would help his bid to return to England’s test team.

"I am like everyone else playing county cricket in that I have aspirations to play for England," he said.

"I remember going on previous Lions trips in 2007 and 2008 and having to do my time on those and prove myself. That is something that I need to do again."

Trott returned to cricket last year after months of therapy following his decision to leave the 2013-2104 England tour to Australia, saying he was “emotionally and mentally spent”.

He departed the tour after the first test in Brisbane in November 2013, returning briefly to the game with Warwickshire at the start of the last county season, only take another break.

He was back again one month later after extensive psychiatric sessions.

"I had a 'situational anxiety'. It is pretty common with regard to everyday life, but when played out in front of the world media and press it is quite a big thing," Trott said.

"Cricket is cruel and kind to you at the same time. It is a game you definitely love, but sometimes you question why you do it. I have found myself in a situation where I am enjoying it again."

Trott was back among the runs after his second comeback but, despite strong performances in the limited-overs matches as well, did not make England’s provisional squad for the World Cup next month.

He averages a healthy 46.45 in 49 tests, including nine centuries.

SOURCE: Yahoo 7

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone read 'Come back for Trott' to the beat of 'Turn down for what?'

I hate modern music.

But I wish Trott well, even if a lot of the stuff he said post Ashes was a slap in the face for mental illness, its efforts and sufferers.

Blocky

Banned
It'll be hard for him, he'll constantly be a target for sledging especially by Australia and South Africa.

Blocky

Banned
I would expect they have a bit more class than to mock someone about a mental illness.
You expect a lot from world cricket - considering Johnson and co boasted about how Trott looked like he was going to wet himself in the series that caused "the mental illness" - which Trott has since come out and said wasn't a mental illness.

Stace

First Class Debutant
I wish him well too but with Ballance and Root in great form and Taylor more deserving I cant see a place for him, a crazy idea would be for him to open for the lions as that could be an option, Cook might feel less pressure opening with someone with experience.

Antihippy

International Debutant
You expect a lot from world cricket - considering Johnson and co boasted about how Trott looked like he was going to wet himself in the series that caused "the mental illness" - which Trott has since come out and said wasn't a mental illness.
That's a weird way for saying David Warner called him on having scared eyes before learning about his condition.

As in what you said is rubbish.