Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Hafeez fails unofficial bowling test

Hafeez fails unofficial bowling test

Well, I thought Hafeez should have been able to sort his action out. Apparently not

Pakistan Cricket News: Mohammad Hafeez fails unofficial bowling test | ESPN Cricinfo
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Average extension of 16 degrees. huh! Let's ask umpires to call which is illegal / dodgy and which is not by looking at films. Then we can have a good idea on how "useful" is the reporting procedure. My guess is prurist will be in for a rude shock.
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    what's not shocking is you bringing up this same point a dozen times a week
    zorax and marc71178 like this.

Was waiting to bring this up till some one comes between 15-20.

Ideally should have let him play as an experiment and see how the process goes. His worst was 19 degrees only, so very good study material for the task in hand.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Or just not let him play?

The 15 degree limit is highly arbitary given that the limit was set using a different technology compared to current one. So letting few of those fring bowlers to bowl and figure out the results or test randomly and to establish new cutoff levels (which may be identical, but we don't know) would be the way forward. It is hihly debious since all the bowlers who are reported have extensions >25degrees. No one is below 25 when tested. The chances are that some normal looking actions may be going over 15 degrees. If that is the case a new level of tolerance has to be defined, or everybody has to be tested randomly.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    He doesnt have the worst action I have ever seen but the only real solution is for the boards to get heavily fined each time a player they select is reported and found to to have an action which isnt compliant.

It isnt just the fault of the player but also of those who selected him. I would hope people in these positions would be able to recognise a chucker but I am probably being far too optimistic.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Oh dear. If not fixed for the World Cup. its Afridi or Malik in the top seven.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Was waiting to bring this up till some one comes between 15-20.

Ideally should have let him play as an experiment and see how the process goes. His worst was 19 degrees only, so very good study material for the task in hand.
    You don't want a cricket match where someone maybe playing for their career being played purely as an experiment.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    You don't want a cricket match where someone maybe playing for their career being played purely as an experiment.
    But lit's lot better than not playing at all.

Actually with an average over the wicket flex of 16 degrees that is cutting it extremely close. I would like to see most other bowlers being checked as well. A lot of Hafeez deliveries seemed fine too (its not as if all his deliveries looked crooked). I wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Dale Steyn crossing 15 degrees in a fair number of his deliveries.
    zorax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    But lit's lot better than not playing at all.
    But what if he got a wicket with everyone knowing there's a genuine chance that the bowl was a chuck- or worst case scenario he gets someone out who's playing for their career? Is the batsman immediately reprieved, but even then it would be in selectors' minds. it would be ridiculously controversial. And why can't it just be a thing of an umpire and cameras watching him bowl instead of a match?

And then if was to be allowed to play in a match for experimentation, then where does that leave the intergrity of the rules? There's no rule allowing banned players to play for experimental reasons and so either we'd have to change the rules in order to do it, or not do it at all. But then such a rule would be open to all sorts of mis-doings (e.g a chucker being allowed to play in a series decider). It wouldn't work
    Last edited by andmark; 04-01-2015 at 01:32 PM.

@andmark, but don't you think it would be seem more transparent if other bowlers are tested under the new regime. Hafeez's flex is 16 degree over the wicket. A fair number of hafeez deliveries seemed quite legal (at least to me. Of course a fair few seemed bad too). There should be some testing of a control group to see the results for the new testing regime.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    @andmark, but don't you think it would be seem more transparent if other bowlers are tested under the new regime. Hafeez's flex is 16 degree over the wicket. A fair number of hafeez deliveries seemed quite legal (at least to me. Of course a fair few seemed bad too). There should be some testing of a control group to see the results for the new testing regime.
    I'd agree in a "just to be sure" way that other bowlers who seem fine should be tested to see the results. Steyn would be a huge target for it

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    But what if he got a wicket with everyone knowing there's a genuine chance that the bowl was a chuck- or worst case scenario he gets someone out who's playing for their career? Is the batsman immediately reprieved, but even then it would be in selectors' minds. it would be ridiculously controversial. And why can't it just be a thing of an umpire and cameras watching him bowl instead of a match?
    This is a really good point and one of the main reasons I am so anti chucking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information