• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best opposition fans

andmark

International Captain
Who are the best fans other than your own country's? The Sub-continental countries clearly stand out due to the great enthusiasm they show, but specifically Sri Lanka's fans stand out to me. I went to an England vs Sri Lanka game a few years a go and the Sri Lankan fans were great. A large party of them turned out for the match and they were great to sit near to. They were constantly waving their flags, cheering etc. Even when Sri Lanka lost (a series decider), they were fine and by no means sore losers. Who do you guys think?

Debris

International 12th Man
Sub-continental crowds seems to spend all their time trying make as much noise as possible. Absolute nightmare for me. England used to be good but now ... Barmy Army. NZ seems to be the last bastion of civilized behaviour at the cricket.

andmark

International Captain
Would have thought the Barmy Army would've been high on lots of people's lists tbf

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
English fans for me. And I mean both the Barmy Army and the more traditional conservative English fans.

smash84

The Tiger King
I love the traditional conservative English crowds, the kind glimpsed at the members stands at Lord's. They have an air of old world charm about them and are very gracious in applauding good cricket.

Worst crowds to be found in the SC. Indian and Pakistani crowds are pretty bad. Very few will cheer for good cricket played by the opposition.

andmark

International Captain
I love the traditional conservative English crowds, the kind glimpsed at the members stands at Lord's. They have an air of old world charm about them and are very gracious in applauding good cricket.

Worst crowds to be found in the SC. Indian and Pakistani crowds are pretty bad. Very few will cheer for good cricket played by the opposition.
I get the feeling you get a lot of part time fans at Lords a la Wimbledon though

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Only test in the subcontinent I've ever attended was Hyderabad 2013, Ind vs. Aus test. Any fans who didn't sit in the "good sections" were absolutely roasted in the sun with no cover (absolutely zilch), they weren't allowed to bring any phones, newspaper, water bottles etc. in the ground. Yet they sat through the entire day cheering. Have my respect.

My favourite crowd is day 1 Lord's. But you can't paint Lord's" with the same brush, because days 2-5 Lord's is a completely different atmosphere to day 1 Lord's.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I get the feeling you get a lot of part time fans at Lords a la Wimbledon though
You do. They are very fond of loudly repeating whatever they are hearing on TMS.

It is a social occasion though, if people want to have a 4 hour lunch then that is up to them I guess.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies - Too few of them, and what little there are of them are like sub-continental lite crowds. But incredible noise.
Sri Lanka/Pakistan/Bangladesh - Noisy and don't care for other teams and so casual they leave whenever a good player is out.
India - Same as above, but with a flavour of instability and ability to go absolutely insane when something bad happens. (Setting fire to your own stadium and effigies of Ricky Ponting is just class)
Australia - Loud, rude and uneducated when a home series occurs for the most part, respectful travellers. Seem to appreciate good cricket regardless.

But the winners have to be

South Africa/New Zealand/England - Decent fans, seem to know good cricket when they see it. Barmy Army gets bonus points for living through two whitewashes without wavering.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think the NZ crowds are pretty civil against most teams but I suspect we'll be a bit more abusive to Australian, English and South African touring teams.

Athlai

Not Terrible
West Indies - Too few of them, and what little there are of them are like sub-continental lite crowds. But incredible noise.
Sri Lanka/Pakistan/Bangladesh - Noisy and don't care for other teams and so casual they leave whenever a good player is out.
India - Same as above, but with a flavour of instability and ability to go absolutely insane when something bad happens. (Setting fire to your own stadium and effigies of Ricky Ponting is just class)
Australia - Loud, rude and uneducated when a home series occurs for the most part, respectful travellers. Seem to appreciate good cricket regardless.

But the winners have to be

South Africa/New Zealand/England - Decent fans, seem to know good cricket when they see it. Barmy Army gets bonus points for living through two whitewashes without wavering.
Bangladeshi fans would be my pick of the lot for the subcontinent. Less out there but definitely seem to appreciate fine performances from the opposition a little more than the other countries.

...I suppose they'd have to though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The ones who come over here are great
Fair enough, I haven't come across touring Australians. But now that I live there, I can confirm their stay at home fans are largely the pits. The ones who couldn't tell you who Rangara Herath is if they were on the million dollar question with all their lifelines, and in fact aren't really that aware that cricket is played outside the borders of their country at all. And after a day in the sun on the ink, they make the American 'get in the hole' golf crowds seem sophisticated.

I won't consider it bias given I've never lived there, but I've always found the Basin Reserve crowds to be gracious, knowledgeable and 100% trouble free. They are treated to a magnificent ground and some of the finest moments in our history, mind you. The way they cheered for Sanga today was in every way the sort of manner they'd do for one of their own. They just appreciate great cricket. I don't think that would happen in too many other places.

anil1405

International Captain
Only test in the subcontinent I've ever attended was Hyderabad 2013, Ind vs. Aus test. Any fans who didn't sit in the "good sections" were absolutely roasted in the sun with no cover (absolutely zilch), they weren't allowed to bring any phones, newspaper, water bottles etc. in the ground. Yet they sat through the entire day cheering. Have my respect.
Hyderabad Cricket Association is the most ****ed up domestic cricket board in India.