• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mitch Starc

the big bambino

International Captain
Great rep with the white ball though not as good with the red.

We have some pretty knowledgeable cricketers and followers on here and I would like to read people's opinions on why Starc isn't as good with the red ball as the white. I've seen him bowl high 140s in ltd overs cricket with late inswing or big bouncy deliveries that catch the edge of a startled batsman outside off. You kind of expect him to do something special. Not as often in tests though.

Are their reasons for this? Is there any difference in the manufacture of balls for ltd over and tests that make it easier for pace bowlers to swing and seam the white ball for eg. I mean I don't think so but then again don't know for sure.

Debris

International 12th Man
Great rep with the white ball though not as good with the red.

We have some pretty knowledgeable cricketers and followers on here and I would like to read people's opinions on why Starc isn't as good with the red ball as the white. I've seen him bowl high 140s in ltd overs cricket with late inswing or big bouncy deliveries that catch the edge of a startled batsman outside off. You kind of expect him to do something special. Not as often in tests though.

Are their reasons for this? Is there any difference in the manufacture of balls for ltd over and tests that make it easier for pace bowlers to swing and seam the white ball for eg. I mean I don't think so but then again don't know for sure.
1. Red ball swings less than white ball.
2. It is easier to take wickets when someone is trying to smash you.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Starc lacks consistency. If you watch most of his test innings he bowls the occasional jaffa but serves tons of pies which release all pressure that he may have built with those good balls. Tbh the thing is he's never been given a good run in the team for a range of reasons, can maybe see Australia sticking with him more once Harris/Johnson are done.

Despite that, if somehow he improves and Australia groom him well, he could be a real threat since he has wicket-taking ability.

Antihippy

International Debutant
If he can put 6 balls in the same area that'd be great for him.

Still developing, just can't get a regular enough gig to improve.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Add in the mental thing as well. Once you have success like he has had with a white ball he will feel more comfortable with it yet not so with a red. After all so much of this great game is to do with what is in your head. Look at Johnson as an example of that.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah, and the white ball he's bowling with is never older than 25 overs old also which is massive. He's been ineffective with the red ball but especially so in the middle overs with the older ball.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
To be fair, if everyone was fit he would probably be behind at least 4-5 pace bowlers if not more. I'd have Johnson/Harris/Bird/Pattinson/Hazlewood in there ahead of him at least.

Spikey

let's not forget that the poor kid has had to play with peter siddle a lot

Daemon

It's the length he bowls as well imo. When the ball's not swinging he's just too full.

the big bambino

International Captain
Add in the mental thing as well. Once you have success like he has had with a white ball he will feel more comfortable with it yet not so with a red. After all so much of this great game is to do with what is in your head. Look at Johnson as an example of that.
Starc said as much on a cricinfo article I've just read. He says the amount of cricket he's played with the white ball means he has confidence in his game and what he wants to do in 4 and 10 overs. Maybe he has his plans for the ltd over stuff. He may have a problem doing things for 20 overs a day that he can achieve over 4 and 10 overs. Plus yeah, if the red ball does swing less and his length's too full then that would explain a few of his problems.

Spark

Global Moderator
It just seems to me that he doesn't really know how he's going to get the batsman out when he bowls in Tests if there isn't hooping inswing. Part of that is inconsistency, yes, but I just always get the sense that he's running up and bowling without really knowing what he plans to do on an over-by-over basis.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Other batting all rounders such as Steve Waugh and Jacques Kallis didn't set the world on fire immediately either.

After 14 Tests...

GunRunsHSBat Av100sWktsBBIBowl Av
JH Kallis54810124.901133/2938.30
MA Starc4859930.310456/15436.22
SR Waugh50379*27.940215/6931.19

Starc is still under 25 years of age, he still has a big future ahead of him. :)

Debris

International 12th Man
It just seems to me that he doesn't really know how he's going to get the batsman out when he bowls in Tests if there isn't hooping inswing. Part of that is inconsistency, yes, but I just always get the sense that he's running up and bowling without really knowing what he plans to do on an over-by-over basis.
This is what happens when you stuff around with the Sheffield shield. Players have to learn how to play in test cricket.

JBMAC

State Captain
Starc said as much on a cricinfo article I've just read. He says the amount of cricket he's played with the white ball means he has confidence in his game and what he wants to do in 4 and 10 overs. Maybe he has his plans for the ltd over stuff. He may have a problem doing things for 20 overs a day that he can achieve over 4 and 10 overs. Plus yeah, if the red ball does swing less and his length's too full then that would explain a few of his problems.
Another Nathan Bracken mate?

the big bambino

International Captain
In effect maybe youre right. I just see more potential for Starc to do well in tests whereas it never really surprised me bracken didn't. His wife is easy on the eye though

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This discussion could never happen on CH9 - apparently you're not allowed a forthright, non-cheerleader opinion on an Australian player on there.

The irony of his mrs - niece of the biggest tool on TV - saying 'any danger of some positivity - almost made my head self-combust.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sometimes that action that brings the hooping inswing also means that he doesn't get the ball hitting the seam, which means that he just slides onto the bat nicely once the shine goes.