• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson vs. Neesham

Anderson or Neesham?

• Corey

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Jimmy

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Hard to see how we could fit both these guys into the same team. If anyone can figure out how, go ahead, otherwise which of the two would you pick for the all-rounders slot?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Neesham probably marginally the better bat, but I rate Anderson as a better bowler overall. With Watling at 7 I think we should choose Anderson. Both quality though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps they should both play this test to lengthen the batting and ensure a series victory.

Howsie

International Captain
Anderson. Rate him as the better bat (numbers obvs don't show that) and he's a much better bowler. Good problem to have though and most countries would love to have just one of them.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson. Rate him as the better bat (numbers obvs don't show that) and he's a much better bowler. Good problem to have though and most countries would love to have just one of them.
Neesham is a looser batsman

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're both really poor bowlers imo, just pick whoever's the better batsman.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Yes, they're both great prospects, but Neesham played well in Christchurch and deserves to retain his place.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Neesham probably marginally the better bat, but I rate Anderson as a better bowler overall. With Watling at 7 I think we should choose Anderson. Both quality though.
Thing is though Anderson should be the better batsman of the two. Generally a better technique but he just hasn't stepped up at Test level yet.

Neesham it seems has had success with the bat because there wasn't as much pressure as evidenced by the fact he was picked as a bowling all-rounder at 8 initially.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Jimmy Anderson is a better bat than Neesham then the latter has issues. Jimmy a far better bowler these days.

Blocky

Banned
Jimmy is already a better batsman than Anderson will ever be in my view.

I can actually see Jimmy becoming a #5 bat who bowls a wee bit, Anderson will have to rely on his bowling and clean striking performance.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy is already a better batsman than Anderson will ever be in my view.

I can actually see Jimmy becoming a #5 bat who bowls a wee bit, Anderson will have to rely on his bowling and clean striking performance.

Usually when I think of a Jimmy inning I think of a down hill skiing inning.

Which isn't all that fair to him as he scored a good 50 in the West Indies in the 3rd test when we were under pressure. Nonetheless I would like to see more fighting innings from him when we are up the creek before I crown him as being better than Anderson as Corey has shown he is prepared to scrap and score runs through will power if necessary against tough bowling.

Blocky

Banned
It's the same bull**** that is kind of evident with Wagner in my view. Anderson is more stereotypical and "likeable" as an NZ Cricketer, comes across as a second coming of Chris Cairns but the reality is his performances simply aren't there at test level in comparison to Neesham. In ODI and T20 cricket, different story, Anderson is well suited to hitting.

Jimmy has made every post a winner in test cricket excepting one bad series in the UAE. At the end of 7 matches, he's averaging 47.66 with the bat - while we'd like to see him take more wickets with the ball, he's been a great player for us at six capable of counter attacking while staying at the crease. As much "downhill skiing" as you feel, I haven't seen him needlessly chip himself out early in an innings.

"Easy runs" - the games that Anderson and Neesham have both played in together, Neesham has out scored him. Neesham has also generally been coming in with the side well set and in the past, a 200/4 - 250/4 would often turn into 350 all out for NZ - he's been one of the reasons you see us hit more 400-450 scores alongside Watling in my view.

I'd like to see him sort out his bowling more, as that's the area Anderson has him beat at the moment but as a pure test batsman, Anderson doesn't have the ability against spin nor the composure to do what Neesham has done so far.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
"I haven't seen him needlessly chip himself out early in an innings."

Well, except for in the UAE. Didn't cover himself in glory with the way he got out there. The inverse of "if you remove when he did well, he's a **** player".

Neesham's made the most of his Test opportunities, more so than Anderson has, but I can understand why the selectors seem to prefer Corey J at the moment -- simply a better all-round option with his bowling being a level above Neesham's.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson doesn't have the ability against spin nor the composure to do what Neesham has done so far.

C'mon Blocky I am pulling out of this conversation because of that quote - but surely you know as well as I do that Corey is awesome against spin. He may not have killed in it in the UAE but he has the technique and skill to perform well against the world's best spinners.

Regarding composure - there have been a couple of times where he has not been composed. But he is learning.

Blocky

Banned
"I haven't seen him needlessly chip himself out early in an innings."

Well, except for in the UAE. Didn't cover himself in glory with the way he got out there. The inverse of "if you remove when he did well, he's a **** player".

Neesham's made the most of his Test opportunities, more so than Anderson has, but I can understand why the selectors seem to prefer Corey J at the moment -- simply a better all-round option with his bowling being a level above Neesham's.
Didn't really chip himself out - you don't see him making an easy twenty odd and then finding ways of getting himself out. Part of the reason his average has managed to stay near 50 has been his ability to take 15-20 into 70-100.

Blocky

Banned
C'mon Blocky I am pulling out of this conversation because of that quote - but surely you know as well as I do that Corey is awesome against spin. He may not have killed in it in the UAE but he has the technique and skill to perform well against the world's best spinners.

Regarding composure - there have been a couple of times where he has not been composed. But he is learning.
If we're talking about the ability Anderson has to hit sixes against spin, I agree with you. If you're talking about the ability Anderson has to soak up pressure against a spin bowler and find ways to score that doesn't have him swinging for the fences with a tonne of risk, I disagree with you.

Anderson has played three more tests, yet has one hundred less runs than Neesham has. Neesham also has a better strike rate. The memory of Anderson slogging out on 50 needlessly against Pakistan, chopping a ball onto his stumps with a lazy cut shot when he was looking set at his crease and doing so in other series just stays in mind for me. He's the brainless cricketer, perfect for T20 and great for ODI but in test cricket? A liability with the bat because you're kind of going back to NZ 6's of old, not knowing what the hell they'll turn up and do.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If we're talking about the ability Anderson has to hit sixes against spin, I agree with you. If you're talking about the ability Anderson has to soak up pressure against a spin bowler and find ways to score that doesn't have him swinging for the fences with a tonne of risk, I disagree with you.

Anderson has played three more tests, yet has one hundred less runs than Neesham has. Neesham also has a better strike rate. The memory of Anderson slogging out on 50 needlessly against Pakistan, chopping a ball onto his stumps with a lazy cut shot when he was looking set at his crease and doing so in other series just stays in mind for me. He's the brainless cricketer, perfect for T20 and great for ODI but in test cricket? A liability with the bat because you're kind of going back to NZ 6's of old, not knowing what the hell they'll turn up and do.
That's the composure thing and speaks to shot selection and temperament not technique. IIRC he outperformed Neesham in the UAE and his defensive technique against spin just looked better. And at least he got to 50 that day. I didn't actually see his dismissal I just came online the next day and everyone was livid with him.