• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Ryan Harris?

viriya

International Captain
He has incredible stats for a 35 years old...

1. Was he just a late bloomer?
  2. Is he going to be another Stuart Clark?
  3. Do the numbers just flatter now because of just 26 tests of good form (like it seems to have with Philander to a certain extent)?
  4. Why aren't other fast bowlers doing this well at 35?
  5. How many more Tests will he play?
  6. Where will he end up in the top 100 bowlers of all time when he retires?

So many questions...

Relevant article: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2014-15/content/story/815177.html

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
1. Yes
2. ?
3. No one who's actually seen him bowl would think this. He has a whole raft of stellar bowling performances on utterly flat, dry, slow low decks (including in the subcontinent), the exact same kind of decks which have neutered Philander this year
4. v0v
5. At least 8, one hopes
6. No idea, but everyone who's followed his Test career will remember him very fondly. He's basically given us four-five years of ATG-level intelligent, relentless seam bowling.

Flem274*

123/5
Second best bowler on the planet.

He was an average medium quick for yonks mate before doing some work and becoming a gun.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Said it before. He's almost as good as Steyn, justnnot on the pitch enough. Awesome with the new ball, brilliant with reverse, knows how to take wickets in clusters, he's got it all.

Except good knees.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The truth with why Harris started so late was that he was a late bloomer. IIRC he mentioned he put on weight and turned into a proper FC bowler (before 2007 he couldn't even make the South Australian side - not known for their brilliance), and when he started playing Tests he looked like he's been there for 10 years. This is also why he's still so good. If he had bowled properly all his career he'd be an ATG - potentially in the Top 10 of all-time or otherwise had been a Bond like bowler who was lethal when he was fit but spent more than half of his career on the sidelines - I don't think his stats flatter him. As it is it should be concluded that he was a star but didn't play enough to be a true great.

His future is questionable. I can't see him playing past the 2015 Ashes, IIBH.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The shame is he's strong as an ox apart from his knees.

I'd think anything beyond the Ashes is a bonus, but I'd love to see him get to 50 tests and 200+ wickets. Reckon he deserves it.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Not an ATG but an all time legend for sure, all things considered. That **** he pulled off in SA was something else.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Absolute gun bowler, his stats don't really do him justice but he's pretty much the backbone of Australia's bowling, good batsman as well. Quite a late bloomer but I suspect that's a major contributor to his attitude - has a heart of gold and gives it his all. Basically stopped being a man and became a legend when he won the series in South Africa with destroyed knees.

I think Harris' future is simply a case of his fitness - if he's fit he plays.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Beast of a player and number 2 bowler in the world for me. It'll be hard for him to go down as an ATG since he likely won't be around much longer but if he plays the World Cup and delivers a performance that helps Australia win as well as helps Australia hold the Ashes I could see him forcing himself into ATG status from that.

IMO Darren Lehmann owes a lot to Harris. Harris is the main reason an otherwise average QLD side were able to win the Shield and Domestic One Day comps a few seasons back. He always seems to deliver in crunch situations/games.

EDIT: He's also my favourite current player.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon he Will play on after the Ashes.

Its a big if, but if his knees cooperate I dont really see him retiring until he has to. I think he Will try squeeze as many tests as possible out for himself.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I reckon he Will play on after the Ashes.

Its a big if, but if his knees cooperate I dont really see him retiring until he has to. I think he Will try squeeze as many tests as possible out for himself.
Yeah, I think I read an article where he said he was avoiding surgery on his dodgy knee(s) because the recovery was 12-18 months and, at his age, that would be too big a chunk of his remaining career.

Reckon he'll be carried out on his shield (metaphorically speaking).

Antihippy

International Debutant
Favorite pace bowler ever, partly because he's just that good but also his story is pretty inspiring. Top bloke too.

adub

International Captain
Such a Beast.

He was an absolute nobody for years, but then he found his role and how to produce the goods. I love the stories of guys who spend years on the fringe (or even completely off the radar) before finding their super power. Sport is so full of guys who have been identified and groomed from before puberty, the ones who take the long route have a much more inspiring story for the rest of us hacks.

But to do it on crocked knees. Well **** me, the **** has just the biggest pair of stones. One of being ordinary for so long, or having ****ed knees alone would be more than enough to send most of us into another career. Having both and fighting through it to become one of the top two or three quicks of his era? Just a monster. To also be a top bloke on top of all that? WAFG.

I have him sitting just below Lillee and McGrath as Australian quicks I've seen and a long way clear of the next rung. He's just too influential to count out even with the games he's missed.

I also think he'll go out on his Shield. He paid too high a price to get where he is for him to walk away, he'll play until he breaks and he'll be remembered as an ATG when he does.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
there should be a photo of ryan harris hanging on the wall in every classroom across australia, a national icon