• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Ryan Harris?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harris is a very good bowler but I don't think he's a genuinely great one.
The genuinely great bowlers are dangerous in pretty much all conditions - I'm not sure Harris would be that successful on
typical subcontinental pitches or in the Caribbean.

Having said that tho, there's probably one genuinely great bowler IMO in world cricket atm - Dale Steyn.
Would pick Dale any day over Harris but Ryan's a match for anyone else.
Harris has played 4 matches in the sc+West Indies. Has 17 wickets at 19.6.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Harris has played 4 matches in the sc+West Indies. Has 17 wickets at 19.6.
He was excellent in Sri Lanka in 2011 but Sri Lanka has probably always been more bowler friendly than
India, Pakistan or UAE.

He averages 31 in the Caribbean - decent but not outstanding.

As I said, I think he's a very good bowler but the truly great bowlers had something special - Steyn averages 20 in India, 25 in Pakistan, 25 in Sri Lanka and 18 in the caribbean to put it in perspective.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was excellent in Sri Lanka in 2011 but Sri Lanka has probably always been more bowler friendly than
India, Pakistan or UAE.

As I said, I think he's a very good bowler but the truly great bowlers had something special - Steyn averages 20 in India, 25 in Pakistan, 25 in Sri Lanka and 18 in the caribbean to put it in perspective.
SL is not bowler friendly. It definitely has a couple of bowler friendly grounds like Galle and Pallakele, but that's about it. By the way, if you were going to ignore SL anyway, you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. :p

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
India, Pakistan or UAE.

Steyn avgs 32 in England

Harris avgs 19 in England.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn at this point is a top 10 bowler of all time and probably top 5.

Harris' numbers are easily ATG except for the shortness of his career.

Red

V. Trumper
A. Morris
D. Bradman
G. Chappell
K. Miller
N. Harvey
A. Gilchrist
S. Warne
R. Harris
D. Lillee
G. McGrath

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Steyn avgs 32 in England

Harris avgs 19 in England.

Steyn averages 18 in the Caribbean to Harris' 31. Steyn has maintained an outstanding level of performance over 78 tests - three times the number of tests that Harris played. He averages sub 30 in every country barring England where it is only a tick over 30 anyway.

That's the mark of a truly great bowler.
Harris has never played in India, or Pakistan and his returns in the Caribbean were good rather than brilliant. Hard to call him a true great based on his career so far.

Red

Who cares what we call him. He's great to watch right now.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
SL is not bowler friendly. It definitely has a couple of bowler friendly grounds like Galle and Pallakele, but that's about it. By the way, if you were going to ignore SL anyway, you shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place. :p
I'm not ignoring it - I acknowledged Harris was excellent in that series in 2011. However, it's generally been a better place for visiting seamers than India or Pakistan/UAE has been and one of those tests he played on was at Pallakelle wasn't it ?

All I've said is I don't think Harris would be as succesful on traditional subcontinental wickets - I think he would be good but I don't expect him to be outstanding ala Dale Steyn or Glenn McGrath or Marshall.I'm not sure he's as good as that.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think he would be good but I don't expect him to be outstanding ala Dale Steyn or Glenn McGrath or Marshall.I'm not sure he's as good as that.
Not being Steyn/Marshall/McGrath doesn't preclude you from being an ATG though. Nobody's arguing that he's the greatest fast bowler in the history of fast bowlers.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Harris a Bond/Asif type of player. As good as anyone when on the pitch but unfortunately not on the pitch enough to be a bona fide great of the game.

They're all about the same quality but would take Harris over Bond and think As if was more skilled than them both.

viriya

International Captain
Well I wouldn't say that. They're alright. Assigning a rating to compare players across teams will never be an exact science but they tend to be fairly accurate imo.
That was my way of saying mine's better :)

ICC ratings is good in that it takes the quality of the opposition into account, but it could do much more with scorecards than it does with it's 5-factor setup.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
That was my way of saying mine's better :)

ICC ratings is good in that it takes the quality of the opposition into account, but it could do much more with scorecards than it does with it's 5-factor setup.
Yeah, I've not looked at yours too much but they're not perfect either. As I said, not an exact science. Whoever is creating the rankings will put in their own little biases that reflect the way they view the game and what they think is important.

Valer

First Class Debutant
I'd suggest that's more coincidental than anything, even if he is an ideal foil. Johnson's 'sleeps with the light on' days just happened to be when Harris wasn't in the side.
Its ~9 runs /wkt different when doing Harris / no Harris for all matches not just johnson. My sig has a fairly reasonable approximation.