• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question for New Zealanders

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Would it be better/bigger for the sport for NZ to beat Australia in Australia, or at home?
in Australia. It is all televised here at an hour we can watch. In fact it is often on at prime time.

Plus for reasons that someone listed above - listening to Mark Nicholas make apologies for Australia losing would be most excellent.

I do think if we played you now we would be one of the few teams who could sneak a match off you. But we would lose 2-1 in a 3 match series and one of those losses would be by an inning.

As a mild prediction for you though - if it is another two years before we play you in Australia we will be even stronger as Kane will be entering his prime. And when he enters his prime we are expecting him to beat Brendon's blackcaps records.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just so we're clear, all the people picking A are aware that this option is just to make the WC final? Not win the WC, just make the final. Because that's not much glory at all.
True, but making a run deep into the tournament like that could get the public behind them even more than in '92.

BeeGee

International Captain
True, but making a run deep into the tournament like that could get the public behind them even more than in '92.
Maybe. But one of the reasons the country got so behind the 92 team was that it was so unexpected. That team was very poor and given zero chance in that tournament. It was almost like a fairy tale.

In this tournament NZ are actually expected to do well and making the final would not be a surprise.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe. But one of the reasons the country got so behind the 92 team was that it was so unexpected. That team was very poor and given zero chance in that tournament. It was almost like a fairy tale.

In this tournament NZ are actually expected to do well and making the final would not be a surprise.

the Media will hype it - plus Joe Public loves a winner so it will develop a life of its own.

But yeah I nearly didn't vote for it as it was only making the final.

vandem

International 12th Man
... Beating Australia in Australia would live on in the public consciousness for decades, not just in cricket tragics' minds.
Sometimes I wish I was reliving the summer of 85-86, student days, new motorbike ...

... and we beat Aus in Aus ...

... and then we beat them again in NZild !!!! (was there at Eden Park)

Does that make me a cricket tragic?

P.S. answer is C obviously.

Flem274*

123/5
South Africa would be the greater achievement, but New Zealand is programmed to look for any excuse to step on Australian toes.

Depending on the quality of the team involved it would be SA or Aus test series for me. We know we can beat or embarrass Australia (80s home and away, our **** team drawing against Border's team in the 90s, Fleming's side taking on the greatest test side ever in 00, the recent Hobart test with a dubious batting line up and a raw attack). If this NZ side beat this SA team in SA it would be the greatest achievement in our history.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Bump. Started this thread back in Dec 2014 and since then we've made 2 finals and should've won one of them. The memories of this morning's game will live on and on and hopefully cricket will grow in this country.

Anyway, interesting to consider the original question again. I really want us to win the test series in Aus.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Which of these scenarios would you like the most?

I wanted to know which of the following you would most like to see NZ achieve

a. make the ODI WC final
b. win the World T20
c. beat Australia in Australia (test series)
d. beat South Africa in South Africa (test series)
e. beat India in India (test series)
A - I think it would encourage our youngsters to take up the sport.

:(