• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Greatest" MS Dhoni captaincy moment

His greatest moment in tests

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since we have a tribute thread, let's have one dedicated to his insane captaincy. For better or worse, what was Dhoni's most insane captaincy moments, regardless of whether they worked or not?

cnerd123

likes this
In Tests...the pinnacle has to be Ishant's bouncers at Lords hasn't it? How many visiting captains can say they made a move that won them a test at Lords?

I also liked him standing back to Jadeja's bowling. And giving himself a bowl now and then too - almost got KP in his first over IIRC?

cnerd123

likes this
Ooh ooh I remember in England once; Ishant was having a great spell before the end of the session, getting some reverse, England were shaky...a wicket or two more, and India would be in the driving seat.

Who takes the ball after tea? Suresh Raina.

Brilliant.

OverratedSanity

Ooh ooh I remember in England once; Ishant was having a great spell before the end of the session, getting some reverse, England were shaky...a wicket or two more, and India would be in the driving seat.

Who takes the ball after tea? Suresh Raina.

Brilliant.
Oh ****. Yeah... the Lord's test. Forgot that.

Spark

Global Moderator
What was the relatively easy chase in WI where he bailed completely again? It was just before the England 2011 tour.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ishant is somebody who was a Dhoni man out and out, kept picking him despite warranting a dropping at several points over his long test career. India was absolutely abysmal away for the last 3 years during which Dhoni's tactical acumen kept getting deservedly and relentlessly ripped into. The Lords pitch was one of the greenest ever in the last couple of decades where common sense demanded that the bowlers pitched it up to take advantage of the conditions. Broad and Anderson were criticized heavily for bowling too short. England are 4-173 chasing 312 with a 101 run stand looking extremely threatening.

So Dhoni uses his 130 kph loyal enforcer with a bowling average nudging 40 to bowl short and as it was Ishant, by implication, short and wide. Ishant bowls eight overs and concedes five runs an over by virtue of the short balls. He also takes 5 wickets and ends with match figures of 7-74. India are 1-0 after two tests are the favourites with the bookies to win the series which would seem ridiculous to anyone pre-series. It felt like a new empire was on the horizon. It was madness, it was magic.

..and then it all came tumbling down.

Last edited:

Daemon

What was the relatively easy chase in WI where he bailed completely again? It was just before the England 2011 tour.
150 to win at tea with 8-9 wickets in hand and he didn't even have a go at it. They just played it out and shook hands like half an hour before play was scheduled to end. Dire.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
150 to win at tea with 8-9 wickets in hand and he didn't even have a go at it. They just played it out and shook hands like half an hour before play was scheduled to end. Dire.
I'm no Dhoni apologist but the series was won - and an away series at that. Seems fairly pragmatic and similar to Smith yesterday

Arachnodouche

International Captain
That Test we won against Aus in India. He basically had Zaheer and company bowl well outside off with a 7-2 field for a good two sessions eventually frustrating Katich and the rest. I remember Ian Chappell being very disappointed with the strategy but we won so yay. I liked that version of Dhoni a bit more.

I chose the last option though.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Last option in the list is hardly insane, though, and actually made a little sense.

sujay

Cricket Spectator
Long time back, before Dhoni's entry in ODI cricket, I saw this match, probably the highlights. I was merely browsing the channels and got stuck in it, mainly because of the nice strokeplays of Gambhir. Gambhir had already made his ODI debut then, but wasn't regular, so I knew him. I noticed Gambhir's partner Dhoni for his unique hairstyle and he was also playing well. But after Gambhir got out, Dhoni started to play very aggressively. I was very much impressed and started thinking him as the proper replacement of Mongia. Anyway, shortly after this series he got a chance to play for India in an ODI. However, I had no idea that This Dhoni will go on to become the most successful Indian Cricket Captain.

I think the moment I will remember the most is his innings against Sri Lanka in the final of West Indies Tri-Nation Series. He was injured but go on to play the final and despite struggling a lot took India home.

Last edited: