• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Dhoni tribute thread

slippy888

International Captain
I think this is a sad day for cricket fans really, a great player in MS Dhoni has retired from test cricket and i think he will retire from ODI cricket after world cup, for me MS is ranked up there with the cricketing greats in, Bradman, Pollocks, Viv Richards, Barry Richards, Muralitharan, Warne, Lara, Tendulkar, Sangakara, Mahela. MS Dhoni for me also go down has the best wicketkeeper batsman ever, he take batting to a new level with some shots players could only dream of playing.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey guys, I think we should make a banner for the SCG to show our appreciation for Dhoni's wonderful career. Sledger has kindly volunteered to fly down and paint himself in the Indian colours and wave the banner for all 5 days.

cnerd123

likes this
Dhoni's achievements look even more amazing when you consider the disadvantage he had of being born a genetically weak Indian.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
"MS Dhoni showed India what a tough man from a small town could dream and achieve. He has been a role model. Respect." - Harsha Bhogle on Twitter.

That's a good tribute. Sums up Dhoni's appeal.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Hey! Let's be real. Dhoni seems like a nice guy. He seemed to have the respect of the Indian team and led them to some great victories, but he is not in the class of any of those guys you have mentioned. Yes, he was a very good keeper/batsman, but for me, Gilchrist was better. Don't turn your tribute into a joke by overstating what Dhoni was.

Dhoni was a very good keeper/batsman. It will be sad to see him gone as I always felt he added something to the Indian team that went beyond his personal figures and beyond his captaincy, which to be honest, was nothing special. Yet, somehow, I suspect he must have been a good motivator, or a nice balancing effect. When he joined the team, suddenly, India seemed to start winning more. They reached number one in the world test rankings, won a ODI world cup and a T20 World cup. So he had something special - whatever it was.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha what a joke. Dhoni does not even come close to ranking alongside some of the others mentioned.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't mean to be, well, mean, but that OP is massively tongue-in-cheek, right?

Right?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm quite happy to accept that as a teammate and fellow human being MS Dhoni is an All Time Great - but decent player that he was he certainly wasn't as a batsman or 'keeper

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think this is a sad day for cricket fans really, a great player in MS Dhoni has retired from test cricket and i think he will retire from ODI cricket after world cup, for me MS is ranked up there with the cricketing greats in, Bradman, Pollocks, Viv Richards, Barry Richards, Muralitharan, Warne, Lara, Tendulkar, Sangakara, Mahela. MS Dhoni for me also go down has the best wicketkeeper batsman ever, he take batting to a new level with some shots players could only dream of playing.
Quality post, if he was retiring from ODIs. But in tests, none of the above is even remotely true, sorry.

smash84

The Tiger King
Today MS Dhoni took an ATG decision in test cricket. That too like his defensive declarations came a few years too late.

Thankfully he hasn't retired in LO format where he is a gun.

cpr

International Coach
People playing down his bowling achievements here, could've been 5th option, he was that good.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
3rd highest score by a keeper (behind a couple of decent players in Flower and Sanga) & highest score by a keeper against Australia. The bloke is no Watling, but who is? Fairly useful odi player too.

Shame he could never buy a pace attack for India like he could for CSK.