• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst dismissals (finishing) on 99

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
In light of Shaun Marsh getting run out at the MCG, what are memorable dismissals on 99 that you can recall?

My "favourite" (felt dreadfully sorry for him) was Dipak Patel getting run out by Derek Pringle going for the 3rd.

Another that I recall was Alex Tudor's 99 not out when Graham Thorpe selfishly denied him a century

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Athers slipping and falling on his arse in the middle of the track on the 3rd to take him to his ton

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Athers slipping and falling on his arse in the middle of the track on the 3rd to take him to his ton
I was at Lord's that day and have never laughed harder. It was forever his high score at HQ. Wasn't Mark Waugh out for 99 in the previous Test?

EDIT: In the same Test as it happens. Bowled by Tuffers. I don't recall the dismissal, but I do recall some Aussie fans at Lord's saying that Athers' run out was payback for Waugh's dismissal.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steve being left stranded on 99 by his brother (acting as a runner) being run out.

Burgey

I was at Lord's that day and have never laughed harder. It was forever his high score at HQ. Wasn't Mark Waugh out for 99 in the previous Test?
Think it was the same test actually. Taylor, Slater and Boon all got tons, Waugh got bowled for 99, prompting the immortal headline "Waugh Fails" in the British press next day.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Warne's was amusing as you just knew he probably wouldn't go close to a century again.
Vettori actually bowled a no-ball (overstepped) on the delivery that dismissed him as well (although Warne should have been out when the umpire missed a nick)

Burgey

Warne's 90 odd in the 05 Ashes series was such a good knock. Fmd he was a one man army that series.

OverratedSanity

Jayasuriya once ran into Sangakkara at the non strikers end in his hurry to get to 100. Was beautifully hilarious.

Zinzan

Dipak Patel run out attempting a 3rd run to an aging Derek Pringle (who couldn't throw) in the outfield, who just happened to bowl back the perfect return. 1992 IIRC.

Edit: Sorry, was already mentioned in the OP

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Think it was the same test actually. Taylor, Slater and Boon all got tons, Waugh got bowled for 99, prompting the immortal headline "Waugh Fails" in the British press next day.
I remember reading a book by Taylor or Slater recalling Waugh receiving the docket for a bet for the entire Aussie top 4 to tonne which up would've net the punter IIRC $10,000 for a $10 bet (could be higher or a different ratio).

jcas0167

International Debutant
Five years into his test career Graham Gooch still hadn't scored a test hundred and ran himself out going for that elusive final run. Apparently Ian Chappell asked Gooch if he didn't like scoring hundreds as he left the field.

As mentioned above, Dipak Patel was heartbreakingly run out going for a third run of Derek Pringle's arm. I'm pretty sure from memory that Pringle, who had been bowling the ball back, actually fired the return in with a regular throw to run him out.

Also, in that match John Wright battled away to save the game only to charge Tufnell on 99 and get stumped. That triggered a shocking collapse and NZ lost the test. That was Wright's second test 99. I think he got a 98 as well.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not a 99, but a tailender's equivalent thereof: I seem to recall Monty getting run out with Steve Harmison on 49*, denying the big lad his only test 50.

SeamUp

International Coach
He wasn't dismissed but it would have felt as bad if not worse.

Shaun Pollock being left stranded on 99 when Makhaya Ntini basically said here is my wicket to the Sri Lankans at Centurion with a lobbed catch to mid-off when he just needed to survive.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Seem to recall Stephen Fleming constantly getting out on 99, or at least in the 90s.

That Alex Tudor one was an abomination. A dark day.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Sachin Tendulkar had that horror year in being dismissed for 99 in three seperate ODI's in 2007.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Given he retired today I feel it relevant to mention Dhoni's run out in Nagpur 2012. Jinxed by Cribb.