• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Burnt Out?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So what would be a second string Aussie side now? Wondering if I'd back us over them in these conditions.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maximas said it right.

This is just a not good enough bowling attack. No question of a burn out. The only player to whom that can apply is Dhoni, and that has been accurate for the last 2 years now.

Riggins

International Captain
So what would be a second string Aussie side now? Wondering if I'd back us over them in these conditions.
Cowan
Carters
Ferguson
Voges
Bailey (?)
Maxwell (?)
Neville
Pattinson
Bird
Cummins
Siddle

Maybe Starc somewhere I guess.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I think India are a bowler short, I would describe the Indian attack (in Australian conditions) as 3 1/2 bowlers, that is just not enough for test match in Australia . With the current attack, they will bowl well for a day and then fall in a heap.

For 3 pacemen / 1 spinner to work you need 4 good bowlers, with good stamina (e.g. McGrath & Warne).

If they added an extra bowler, they would start to be a bit more like Pakistan - Bowlers with better averages but prone to batting collapses.
If India does not add the extra bowler, the fast bowlers will get over worked and get injured

Nail on the head.

In long series with little time to recover from tests, bowlers just get knackered especially if they don't knock the opponents somewhat cheaply now and then. Bhuvi was dead in the last test in England as he had simply been flogged.

The crucial spot for India to discuss overseas is number six, and for the most part Rohit hasn't contributed enough in that position. Jadeja in the top seven is risky, but will he score any less than Rohit? He'd also keep it tight and allow the bowlers to recover rather than bowling them until knackered.

A few questions for the Indian posters, is their any other possible all rounders coming through? Is Pathan finished, any hope for Rishi Dhawan?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the first time I have seen some positives from India in test cricket in the last 3-4 years. We could have won the first test had we not tried to win it in the next 45 minutes when we had two hours to win it. Kohli is a shining light. After the match fixing fiasco, Indian cricket has mostly gone up. However, last 3-4 years, it has has coming shattering down for various reasons. We are improving now and I expect India to be a far better test team in 12 months time.
You nearly won the first test because Australia declared twice and gave India a chance. They took 12 wickets in that match. I know it's adekaide and all, but still. There's no way india deserved to get close at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just in case some people don't realise it, India have two players aged 30+. One of them is Murali Vijay, who is 30. The other is MS Dhoni, who ****s up the team more than helps it.

It is a ridiculously young team who in the last 18 months have been competitive but simply **** in the key moments when playing away from home. Hopefully they'll learn and improve, but its far better being an Indian fan now than from after the World Cup til 2013.

OverratedSanity

This is the first time I have seen some positives from India in test cricket in the last 3-4 years. We could have won the first test had we not tried to win it in the next 45 minutes when we had two hours to win it. Kohli is a shining light. After the match fixing fiasco, Indian cricket has mostly gone up. However, last 3-4 years, it has has coming shattering down for various reasons. We are improving now and I expect India to be a far better test team in 12 months time.
You didn't watch the SA and NZ tours? This same promise was seen there as well. All our young batsmen were pretty terrific against some top class bowling, and got us into winning positions multiple times. Each time, apart from the Lord's fluke, our bowlers throw it away. I see the positives, but feel like not much has changed since SA/NZ. It's time imo, to start expecting results now.

And @topic, I don't know if we've ever sent such a young side to Australia, and getting beaten 4-0 is not much of a surprise at all. Australia themselves are a flawed batting lineup and with slightly better bowling, we'd have won atleast a test by now. This isn't humiliating like 2011 or 1999, just really disappointing because the potential is pretty obvious.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Burnt out? Has it not occurred to anyone that it might simply be a case of them not being very good?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The bowling attack isn't good enough at the moment. It would help create some scoreboard pressure though if Rahane didn't decide to bat like he only had 50 balls left to face in the game once he got to a ton.

The Adelaide win in 2003/04 should be the blueprint for the Indian victories overseas, and especially yesterday. Australia shouldn't have been batting till 2:30pm today.

Daemon

I think some who have posted here are very limited in their scope. India has been touring here for longer than the last 3 years and those posters can't come to grips with anything beyond that point. I mentioned earlier the 91/92 series where India was beaten 4-0 with one test DRAWN. They can not do even that with their current team( well not yet anyway).What about comparing say the Indian side of 1977/78 to this crop of players. Five tests were played in that series I recall and we got out of jail against a side including Gavaskar, Vishy, Mankad, Prasanna and Bedi to name a few We won the series 3-2 but the whoppings we got were big. So once again I ask Why has India burnt out
erm, we were all sort of replying mostly to Jono who said that this team has done better than the ones in the 90s and 2011. No need to feel offended that we didn't refer to any series from the good old days.

Riggins

International Captain
The bowling attack isn't good enough at the moment. It would help create some scoreboard pressure though if Rahane didn't decide to bat like he only had 50 balls left to face in the game once he got to a ton.

The Adelaide win in 2003/04 should be the blueprint for the Indian victories overseas, and especially yesterday. Australia shouldn't have been batting till 2:30pm today.
That's the spirit, bring back Ajit Agarkar!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You didn't watch the SA and NZ tours? This same promise was seen there as well. All our young batsmen were pretty terrific against some top class bowling, and got us into winning positions multiple times. Each time, apart from the Lord's fluke, our bowlers throw it away. I see the positives, but feel like not much has changed since SA/NZ. It's time imo, to start expecting results now.

And @topic, I don't know if we've ever sent such a young side to Australia, and getting beaten 4-0 is not much of a surprise at all. Australia themselves are a flawed batting lineup and with slightly better bowling, we'd have won atleast a test by now. This isn't humiliating like 2011 or 1999, just really disappointing because the potential is pretty obvious.
Nz was terrible imo in the sense that Dhoni kept that defensive field and that was the worst he had in his captaincy. Even Gavaskar criticised him on air. Monga wrote a scathing article on Dhoni's poor captaincy over last few years showing instances of the same.

The key promise for me has been Kohli's development. I believe he can take India forward. It was just dark days last few years despite some flashes here and there.

Burgey

Nz was terrible imo in the sense that Dhoni kept that defensive field and that was the worst he had in his captaincy. Even Gavaskar criticised him on air. Monga wrote a scathing article on Dhoni's poor captaincy over last few years showing instances of the same.

The key promise for me has been Kohli's development. I believe he can take India forward. It was just dark days last few years despite some flashes here and there.
Kohli is a gun. Had a terrible tour of England but the bloke is the real deal. What's more, I'd rather walk from here to Melbourne to watch him play for an over than walk across the road to watch other blokes bat.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kohli is a gun. Had a terrible tour of England but the bloke is the real deal. What's more, I'd rather walk from here to Melbourne to watch him play for an over than walk across the road to watch other blokes bat.
Remember when some said Root was better. Good times.

Debris

International 12th Man
Just in case some people don't realise it, India have two players aged 30+. One of them is Murali Vijay, who is 30. The other is MS Dhoni, who ****s up the team more than helps it.

It is a ridiculously young team who in the last 18 months have been competitive but simply **** in the key moments when playing away from home. Hopefully they'll learn and improve, but its far better being an Indian fan now than from after the World Cup til 2013.
Most of the Indian players are in their mid to late 20s. That is the prime of the career for a test player. You can't use age as an excuse.

OverratedSanity

Most of the Indian players are in their mid to late 20s. That is the prime of the career for a test player. You can't use age as an excuse.
???

Mid 20s is the prime of a career? These guys aren't Tendulkar ffs. They've barely played 15-20 tests.

Debris

International 12th Man
I might wait another series or two before making a final judgement. I am old enough to remember Chris Broad.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kohli's attitude is ****ing amazing. He is like a burning hot steel bar. People talk about fighting and giving it all you have to try to win. Kohli just unleashes to win. There is actually a lot to learn from his attitude.
The other day, he had that tussle with Gambhir. I am glad he did. At least he was angry for the right reasons. Kohli cares for the game and wants to give it his all. His batting is really composed now too. Balanced and knows his games. Is very comfortable out there as a batsman.