• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your World XI for 2014

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Why should that matter when picking a team for the year? Smith isn't even close to Younis or Sangakkara's league either... doesn't mean he shouldn't be picked in a team for 2014.
Boult and Southee better than Anderson this year for me... they've performed in an array of wildly different conditions (home,West Indies,UAE ) and done it with generally top class results.
I was referring to this year. Southee and Boult averaged 26 and 28, striking every 60 balls. Steyn was insane, again. Harris, Johnson and Anderson averaged 22-23 with strike rates between 45 and 50.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look I'm sorry, and I love you blokes, but if anyone leaves Harris out of their world XI they've been lobotomised.

OverratedSanity

I was referring to this year. Southee and Boult averaged 26 and 28, striking every 60 balls. Steyn was insane, again. Harris, Johnson and Anderson averaged 22-23 with strike rates between 45 and 50.
Mainly because of the UAE. Andersons stats for the year flatter him a bit, atleast imo.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i dunno, genuinely think jimmy was somewhere near his best in those final three tests v india.

ball on a string stuff.

OverratedSanity

Look I'm sorry, and I love you blokes, but if anyone leaves Harris out of their world XI they've been lobotomised.
I'm in this boat too. However, it's been a great year, indeed a great 2-3 years for fast bowling. So many fast bowlers are at the top of their game at the moment... it's great to watch.

Gob

International Coach
Devereux smith is getting picked in almost all the sides.Happy times for spikeysan.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
i dunno, genuinely think jimmy was somewhere near his best in those final three tests v india.

ball on a string stuff.

I think what helps Anderson is that in the Down Under Ashes (2013/14), only the 5th test was in 2014. If the first 4 tests could be considered - no way Jose.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The difference though is Southee and Boult bowled against four different sides in three different countries. Anderson had a great year at home, for sure, and he doesn't schedule the Tests he plays but Southee and Boult had it harder and performed extremely well which should be considered rather than pure stats.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It depends on how this team is determined. If it's the best players to play a one off test with everybody fit then yes sure. If it's based on performances over 2014 I'd say probably not.

Missing a 1/3 of his teams games in the year is no insignificant number. Especially as 2 came in a tough overseas series which Australia lost. It's not like this year has been an anomaly either - He's missed more games than he's played since debut. Fitness has to be taken into account. Imo he's got to be a distance better than those who've played every game for their country to gain selection.

Durability and staying injury free is a massively important quality.

smash84

The Tiger King
Great thread. I notice smiley refused to elaborate on his Freddie hate.
I don't hate Freddie Flintoff, just find him over rated on this forum. Admittedly it might be because I don't recall too many of his match winning performances (and England were generally ****e in the 90s till mid 2000s) but I don't ever recall him being consistently excellent for a reasonable amount of time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't hate Freddie Flintoff, just find him over rated on this forum. Admittedly it might be because I don't recall too many of his match winning performances (and England were generally ****e in the 90s till mid 2000s) but I don't ever recall him being consistently excellent for a reasonable amount of time.
Haha ah don't mind me I was actually just pulling your leg but...

England were defo not ****e for the mid 2000s. Not sure what you'd class as reasonable, Freddie was excellent for three years which I'd say is not bad

EDIT - thanks Ed :D

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Actually Eds stats shed some light on why I don't remember doing him that well. In that time period FF has the poorest record against Pakstan. Also in the 35 tests in that time he has only 2 5fers and 4 centuries (which is decent) but half of those 5fers and centuries have come against the WI. Hence while his numbers are good but I don't recall him running through lineups or taking the game away with his batting too often.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Actually Eds stats shed some light on why I don't remember doing him that well. In that time period FF has the poorest record against Pakstan. Also in the 35 tests in that time he has only 2 5fers and 4 centuries (which is decent) but half of those 5fers and centuries have come against the WI. Hence while his numbers are good but I don't recall him running through lineups or taking the game away with his batting too often.
He performed with both bat and ball for three years. Not sure what more you can ask for from an all-rounder, he actually brought it with both on a series by series or even match by match basis.

Ironically Ed's stats don't even include India away where he captained us to our first win there for two decades, averaged 50 with the bat and 30 with the ball. Colossus.

He makes my world XI for 2014. :D