• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Five Most Underrated Cricketers Ever.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
+2

Also Ian Healy. **** if a commentator but the bloke was a wonderful keeper who's been understandably overshadowed by his successor.
A bloke on my facebook feed works in the broadcast box, and reckons Heals asked for his stats to be shown on screen the other day 'as no one remembers how good I was'

MrPrez

International Debutant
Pollock's problem was that he wasn't a strike bowler.
Pollock's biggest three problems imo were that he was overshadowed by Donald in the SA team, he was overshadowed by McGrath in the accurate seam bowler department, and that he fell off pretty hard at the end of his career.

Anyway,

Kallis
Proctor
Laxman
Waqar Younis
Stuart MacGill
Gary Kirsten
Justin Langer
Javagal Srinath

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
5 from the blackcaps

Derek Stirling
Bruce edgar
Sneddon in ODIs at the end of his career
Brendon Bracewell
Rodney Redmond

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bloke on my facebook feed works in the broadcast box, and reckons Heals asked for his stats to be shown on screen the other day 'as no one remembers how good I was'
To be fair those who remember him haven't forgotten but the way Gilchrist is spoken about the younger generations wouldn't hear about how good Healy was. It was great growing up watching keepers like Healy and Russell and then you have keepers today who are awful glovemen in comparison. In fairness wasn't the lad Berry in Australia meant to be as good if not better with the gloves but couldn't bat? Never saw him myself but the reports on him say he was excellent.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Wayne Daniel - shafted by Clive Lloyd for what must have been personal reasons.
Pat Pocock - no other off-spinner should have played for England when he was available.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Herb Sutcliffe. Test average was over 60 for his entire career, never averaged under 50 against Australia. Small matter of 151 first class centuries too. Underrated because he played with Hobbs. Grimmett too. didn't start playing tests til he was 33 and still found time to become the fastest player to 200 test wickets. Averaged lower than Warne, took more wickets per match than pretty much anyone (Barnes the only one I can think of, maybe Murali). Did all this whilst in the company of another ATG spinner, and during their partnership took more wickets at a better average than O'Reilly. Match figures in his last match at age 44 before being dropped were 13/173 (compared to O'Reilly's 4/106).

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of people have mentioned Shaun Pollock here. I am not sure Pollock is underrated tbh. Sure, he took a lot of wickets at a great average. However, his strike rate wasn't the greatest. He was more of a holder compared to a Donald, Ambrose or McGrath. He is rightly put behind the best bowlers of the best 5-6 fast bowlers of the 90s. Around 1996, Pollock was pretty amazing. He was pacy, was at you. He then had an injury (?) (memory doesn't serve me well here) and slowed down a little.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
lol there are some ****house calls in this thread

kallis and sanga underrated? bloody hell.
Depends on the definition. If you think Kallis is the cricketer of the generation, then he is underrated.

Underrated does not mean they are not rated highly. It means they are better than most people think they are.

Kallis is a great example of this.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Depends on the definition. If you think Kallis is the cricketer of the generation, then he is underrated.

Underrated does not mean they are not rated highly. It means they are better than most people think they are.

Kallis is a great example of this.
Wait what

I'm guessing it's a typo, but saying someone else is the cricketer of the generation isn't flat out objectively wrong, surely.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wait what

I'm guessing it's a typo, but saying someone else is the cricketer of the generation isn't flat out objectively wrong, surely.
I do not understand your point, its not a matter of right/wrong.

If you think Sanga or Kallis is, say a top 3 bat of the last 20 years (purely just an example). Say you think they're on par or better than Ponting, Tendulkar and Lara. The majority of the cricketing world do not agree with that, but that same majority still rates Sanga or Kallis extremely highly.

You can still think Sanga or Kallis is underrated by the cricketing world, even if they are still rated extremely highly by most people.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
To be fair those who remember him haven't forgotten but the way Gilchrist is spoken about the younger generations wouldn't hear about how good Healy was. It was great growing up watching keepers like Healy and Russell and then you have keepers today who are awful glovemen in comparison. In fairness wasn't the lad Berry in Australia meant to be as good if not better with the gloves but couldn't bat? Never saw him myself but the reports on him say he was excellent.
Berry was a great keeper but not particularly better than Healy. And Healy was a far better batsman.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
Mike Procter
Sylvester Clarke
Alan Davidson
Keith Miller
Stuart Macgill

Barry Richards I wouldn't say is underrated, I think most rate him very highly. Thought about Clive Rice but he never played a test but he was up there with the top 80s all rounders. Gilchrist I think is underrated as a keeper and botham I think gets a bit underrated because of his decline but they are still rated highly. Steve Waugh and Darren Lehmann I reckon are underrated as well. From current players Shakib is underrated but he still has a lot of time left and I reckon Herath is a top tier spinner.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A lot of people have mentioned Shaun Pollock here. I am not sure Pollock is underrated tbh. Sure, he took a lot of wickets at a great average. However, his strike rate wasn't the greatest. He was more of a holder compared to a Donald, Ambrose or McGrath. He is rightly put behind the best bowlers of the best 5-6 fast bowlers of the 90s. Around 1996, Pollock was pretty amazing. He was pacy, was at you. He then had an injury (?) (memory doesn't serve me well here) and slowed down a little.
People talk of Wasim being an alltime great and people barely mention Pollock anymore. They have comparable bowling stats (av, wickets, SR etc). I rate Pollock higher but even somebody else doesnt the difference isnt great. Pollock is either massively underrated, Wasim massively overrated or a combination of both.

Pollock was a special bowler. 10 of his 16 fifers were 5 or more wickets for 50 or fewer runs. Wasim - to continue the comparison - has 8 out of 25. Pollock could destroy a lineup when he was hitting areas at good pace and giving nothing away. Pollock's legacy probably hurt in the same way Donald's has been by ordinary stats against Australia.

Last edited: